R32 Gtr Build For Superlap 2012

BK

He's talking R32, so, to quote;

BRAKES AND SUSPENSION

• Front Endless slotted and ventilated rotors

• Front - Std Nissan four-piston callipers w/EBC green pads

• Rear - Std Nissan twin-piston callipers w/Bendix pads

• Rear Std Nissan ventilated rotors

I'm telling ya, they'll last half a lap. 33/34 Brembo would do a lap with the right options. Cyber Emo runs std Brembo calipers with upgraded rotors etc. but an Evo will always be lighter than a GTR, by a long shot.

How anyone is supposed to do proper testing to get a car to work properly, with brakes that just last a lap and are as inconsistant as hell has got me phucked.

Next.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BK i have a similar history to u mate ive raced motorcross /supercross 4 bout 15 years and did some road bike racing and i gave superlap a shot my car is making 400kwatw have big brakes and all that ikeya has available on my car i thought my car was ready to kick butt on street tyres pfftdreamer) never drove a car on the race track wow man what a buzz i got top ten in clubsprint nothing special but had a ball i say give it a shot with your set up i would vcam it bigger brakes and the suspension and do alot of track days time in the seat mate i did a r32 as well

hopefully see you next superlap

The 443kw on the R33 is what Tilbrook in Adelaide calculated for engine kW. The R33 makes around 325 - 330 wheel Kw consistently. Sorry for not addig that. The 520+ kw at wheels on the R32 should be around 700 engine kW ? Correct me if I'm wrong ?

when this post-72724-0-57316400-1323434776_thumb.jpg = this post-72724-0-78713100-1323434860_thumb.jpg u really need these post-72724-0-94795000-1323435028_thumb.jpg and Roy just wondering what downforce has to do with braking on saloon (full bodied cars)? And i really cant agree with brake upgrades not being required... Weight and speed will show weaknesses in inferior brakes

cyber evo 340kwatw weighs around 800kgs

I could very well be wrong..but think about it...no way the Cyber Evo weighs 800kgs. NO WAY! But your point is correct..you can get away with cars that have good OE brakes for a lot longer when you are ripping weight out of them.

I will just repeat, I will masturbate with a cheese grater in public on film if the Cyber Evo weights 800kgs :) If it weighs > +/-35kgs of 1000kgs they have done an amazing job

and Roy just wondering what downforce has to do with braking on saloon (full bodied cars)? And i really cant agree with brake upgrades not being required... Weight and speed will show weaknesses in inferior brakes

Best not to listen to a word I say...BUT...there is plenty of reasons why without significant improvements in downforce you wont achieve shorther stopping distances on a std pressed steel mass manufactured car by going for bigger rotors (increase in braking force) and bigger calipers with more piston area (increase in braking force) and racey pads (increase in braking force)

I suspect you could know more then me about this stuff and its a baited question...so will try to explain my view.

In saloons like most of us punt, they weigh a lot, have good hp and have limited grip. Under brakes its all about tyres and how grippy they are and suspension: how good it is at controlling the pitch of the car under brakes and ride the bumps when the shocks are under compression.

You get braking force/torque from pad compounds, rotor diameter and piston area. All this works to help slow a car to the point that the tyres dont lock up. Tyre grip is again just friction so given a certain tyre grip, the only thing that is ever going to increase friction (ie grip under braking) is an increase in the normal load. You increase the normal load on a car/tyre with downforce. So the only way to increase the normal load on a tyre is to increase downforce which gives the tyre more grip. If the tyre has more grip than you can use additional braking force.

I agree that track cars need brake upgrades, but since Skylines have pretty good gear std, its mostly about thermal management and trying to avoid brake fade. NOT increasing braking capacity as it will just result in bitey brakes that lock up too easily.

You often increase thermal efficiency with better pads, fluid..then rotor diameter and pad surface area. By going to better pads you normally increase braking force...which is the reason why many AP/Alcon calipers that use 365mm rotors etc have less piston area then std Nissan gear. Because the assumption is they will run good pads with higher friction coefficient + bigger rotors which also gives increase in braking force...when it comes to the piston area they are smaller then std calipers. This is an attempt to stop waaaaay toooo much front brake bias, because std its all pretty good. Its all about stopping fade so they increase rotor diam, increase pad area and reduce the piston area to maintain essentially the std braking bias whilst adding loads of thermal capacity

LOL, probably makes no sense...I best read this again in the morning when I have not had two bottles of red, beers and watched The Thing (Both 1982 and 2011 :) )

I must admit most of my expeirence is with GTR's and when an owner actually "uses" the brakes correcty to stop/slow down as quickly as possible they should be activating the ABS... This is basically guarenteeing that the car is giving its all. I tell whoever wants to listen that Tyres or make that tyre grip hugely affects how well u scrub speed. Better brakes help you do it faster and repeatedly. Down force on the other hand requires speed to function, but we are trying to slow down... Also under heavy braking the cars nose dives down and the weight transfers to the front tyres. You obviously have know a fair bit and i also am just giving my own veiws be they what other consider right or wrong... Cheers

ABS is just going to throw the car off balance on corner entry, and when you are shooting for the fastest possible single lap the last thing you would want is the car trying to shake itself to pieces as you are trying to tip it into a corner.

ABS also increases stopping distance in my experience, as you have gone for too much pedal and the ABS isn't giving you the full brake force.

My opinion is if the ABS is going off in the dry than you have crap tyres or you are just stomping on the pedal with all your might

In summary - ABS is great for enduro cars or targa cars that need to run on the same tyre for long periods, for SuperLap/sprints etc it is just adding weight.

Agree that downforce needs speed to help. If you look at open wheelers and their brake pedal pressure trace on data you will see that when they first jump on the brakes they are trying to put their foot through the floor, as the speed washes off the tyre grip afforded to them drops off as the downforce drops off with speed so they drop the pedal pressure otherwise they will lock brakes. Saloon cars are the same but to a lesser extent as they only have downforce (normal load N) measured in the tens of kilograms rather than hundreds of kgs. (to go from weight to force you multiply by gravity - 9.81; so 10kgs is 98.1 Newtons)

Re ABS, I am not convinced if its a good thing or a bad thing. Personally I cant stop cars for shit and am always locking brakes and ruining tyres. I suspect late model cars with faster processors etc in their ABS would stop quicker using it....not sure where a GTR sits in stopping distances.

But yeh, the mechanics/dynamics of cars braking is pretty interesting. This is the theory behind what I am trying to say...

surfboard_wax_friction_defs.gif

And this is why braking will always be shorter if you dont lock brakes

frictiongraph.JPG

Essentially when a tyre is rolling there is no slip between the tyre surface and ground so is referred to as static friction. When a tyre locks then you have slip between the two surfaces so you have kinetic friction. As kinetic friction is lower then static friction then you will always have less grip with a tyre locked.

And BK why does the R33 loose 120KW and the R32 looses 180KW? Shouldn't they loose the same amount of power? Its not a % its actual power loss.... i would think a 60kw (100hp) loss on dyno with 4wd car would be more like it.

I as always under the impression that GTRs lost around the 25% mark from engine to wheels on average and that the losses actually increase the higher the horsepower. Your saying you reckon 330kW at wheels is under 400kW engine ?

Tein Monoflex have also left the UK friday for the R32.

Yes they did :unsure:

And, it is just a poor choice of events for most entrants. Strange rules that don't work with any other events, very little lap time per $$$, and very expensive to get to the front of the field.

Good luck to anyone who enters knowing what they are getting in for, they are providing a great spectacle for the crowd. But for mortals on a normal budget, why spend 10 year's racing budget on getting to the top 5? There are much better ways to get track time if you want more than 30 laps for your year's budget.