SAU Community

Can I Get A Decent R32 Gt-R For $20K-$22K?

Hi Guys,

After owning my R32 GT-R for a little over a year now I have come to the conclusion that I'm keen on another one.

I can't afford another Aussie delivered one so a nice grey import is what I will be after.

I want it as stock as possible.

I'm still a few months away from pulling the trigger but I wanted to start looking around at what's out there.

I'm going to give myself a $25,000 budget. That has to include EVERYTHING.... including 6 months rego and insurance.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $20 on the car, leaving a $6K budget to tidy her up and get the mechanicals in good order plus insurance and rego.

Over the last 8 days I have inspected 6 cars. All priced between $18,000.00 - $23,000.00 and all in dealerships.

The 6 cars are here –

EDWARD LEE's - Burwood

http://www.japaneseautocentre.com.au/el/zoom.php?id=2218

http://www.japanesea...oom.php?id=1936

Scotia Autos - Lansvale

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1993-Nissan-Skyline-R32-GT-R-Black-M-Coupe-/130604298022?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item1e689f6f26

OC AUTOMOTIVE - Lansvale

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1994-Nissan-Skyline-R32-Gtr-White-5sp-M-Coupe-/270863072178?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3f10b27bb2

MASTERCARS – Blacktown

http://www.mastercars.net.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/Small-Medium-Family-Prestige-Cars/1993-NISSAN-SKYLINE-GT-R-R32-2D-COUPE/D4550101327129/details.aspx

TOP SECRET - Blacktown

http://www.topsecretimports.com.au/zoom.php?id=501

In Summary.

It's relevant to point out that in all cases the cars look a lot better in the photos that what they do in real life.

All prices are only asking ones so naturally there is some room for negotiations as I have no trade in.

• The black car at Scotia Autos was the cheapest and justifiably! Pretty sad car really but I guess it's to be expected.

If your budget is set around $15K-$16K then I guess you have to start somewhere........Like here.

• The White car at Scotia Autos was a disappointment. It was the dearest window price of the 6 but to be honest was probably the second worst.

It looked tired, and made a horror noise when I pressed the clutch. I'm guessing a trust bearing or similar. As I said before, I'm no mechanic but I do know when things aren't right.

The engine sounded good with a throaty exhaust and no rattles but the clutch was heavy as sh!t. The gearbox must have had a short shifter fitted as it too was very user unfriendly.

This car had potential but not for me.

• The White car at Top Secret Imports probably has the most potential.

Firstly, I know they are sponsors here but regardless, they have always treated me very well on the occasions I have visited them.

I like the fact that they are pleasant, courteous and helpful with no pressure selling.

Their cars are well priced to start with plus a bonus discount for no trade in would make me feel very comfortable in dealing with them.

This car at $20,999 is the second cheapest but probably the best value. If I had to buy one today, this would probably be my pick.

• The Silver car at Master Cars was OK but just not in the same league as the TSI car and a tad dearer.

• This leaves me with the two cars at Edward Lee's…… Both cars were sold but the salesman was quite happy to show me around both cars.

The Silver car was nice and pretty much on par with the white one at TSI but a bit dearer.

The Dark grey car was a bit more worn than the silver car which reflected the $1000 difference in price.

The guy I spoke to was very friendly and helpful and explained how most of their R32 GT-R's are purchased to order.

I'm a bit uncomfortable in handing over a $1000.00 regardless of their disclaimer of a refund if they can't find me a car to fit my needs.

Surely if they can source a nice clean original car there would be plenty of people who would buy that so why the $1K deposit?

So after having a look at these cars I'm interested in looking at some private sale cars comparing them with these 6.

Common sense would suggest these should represent better value for money but you then need to make sure of title ect ect.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have gone down this path and wether my budget is realistic or not.

Cheers,

Bob.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and avoid mr lee's like the plague... i know wayyyyyyyy too many bad things to even look there..

I bought my 34 from TSI and they have gone above and beyond good customer service to keep me happy, not one but 3 times.. and im sure if you said to them what you want they could find it either here or japan..

not out to plug them (much hehe) but if i were to buy dealer again i would go there

i recon yu wold be very hard pressed to find a "clean r32 gtr"

all have rust, all have dodgy mods, i have seen probably 2-3 clean gtr's in 10 years the other 300 just were not so nice

buying form a stealership is just wasting an extra 5-10k for the same cars that have just been detailed

anything that has been resprayed you have to inspect double as well

I have a very clean 1994 model that's sitting in my driveway

It's stock body wise, stock engine and gearbox, excellent interior, underside is immaculate as they come.

Has an aftermarket exhaust and air filters but otherwise nothing else is really modified

It's not really for sale but If you want to Inspect it I'd probably part with it.

I have a very clean 1994 model that's sitting in my driveway

It's stock body wise, stock engine and gearbox, excellent interior, underside is immaculate as they come.

Has an aftermarket exhaust and air filters but otherwise nothing else is really modified

It's not really for sale but If you want to Inspect it I'd probably part with it.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the offer but I didn't want to turn this thread into a "Wanted Ad" request.

It's more for general feedback as to peoples thoughts on the viability of getting a good car within my budget.

Please PM me some pics..... I presume you are in Sydney?

Thanks,

Bob.

You're a logical and patient man Bob. The right one will come along!

Any reason with that budget to not consider the R33 GT-R as well?

And besides, on a dark night, you won't get the two mixed up! :P

You're a logical and patient man Bob. The right one will come along!

Any reason with that budget to not consider the R33 GT-R as well?

And besides, on a dark night, you won't get the two mixed up! :P

LOL....... The R32 is what I have always related to.

More of an emotional preference than logical as a good R33 would be similar money.

I guess it's also a bit easier when sourcing parts as I already have one to use as a reference car. :action-smiley-069:

Bob.

I went looking a while ago, came away disheartened, the money people are asking for a 20 yr old car is stupid, all I looked at were JDM imports and 90% of them were pretty tired, some had OK bodies but motors were tired and interiors were worn and broken, others had newish motors but the bodys were rusty and on one occasion bent that bad you cold see it crab down the road, most were owned by young blokes and everyone of them had mods, some good some very bad, one guy thought it was a good selling point to do 8000k launches when he took me for a test ride.

The only one I liked was a white one, fairly standard, looked good underneath, engine bay you could eat off which was owned by a older guy who was the first Aust owner, 180,000k and no service history, he also wanted 25k for it, I tried low balling him for a while but that didnt work, last I saw it was still for sale, that was at least a year ago.

Good luck and I hope you find a good one, you may be best importing one from a good importer from somewhere in J that isnt radioactive or uses salt on the road during winter.

I also like how most of these cars have well under 100k on the clock but have been rebuilt/resprayed and scraggy interiours.

I went looking a while ago, came away disheartened, the money people are asking for a 20 yr old car is stupid, all I looked at were JDM imports and 90% of them were pretty tired, some had OK bodies but motors were tired and interiors were worn and broken, others had newish motors but the bodys were rusty and on one occasion bent that bad you cold see it crab down the road, most were owned by young blokes and everyone of them had mods, some good some very bad, one guy thought it was a good selling point to do 8000k launches when he took me for a test ride.

The only one I liked was a white one, fairly standard, looked good underneath, engine bay you could eat off which was owned by a older guy who was the first Aust owner, 180,000k and no service history, he also wanted 25k for it, I tried low balling him for a while but that didnt work, last I saw it was still for sale, that was at least a year ago.

Good luck and I hope you find a good one, you may be best importing one from a good importer from somewhere in J that isnt radioactive or uses salt on the road during winter.

I also like how most of these cars have well under 100k on the clock but have been rebuilt/resprayed and scraggy interiours.

Well written Mark, you have summed up my feelings after a week of looking.

As I said in my original post, I'm a few months away from being able to do anything so researching my options is at least giving me an idea.

As Terry said, patience is the key. I am able to tell the difference between a good car and a nightmare.

This acquisition will be shear indulgence but I do believe the right car, will hold or gain in value in time.

Anyway, I guess it gives us something to chat about eh! :thumbsup:

Bob.

Sadly the days of the R32 GTR are over. It's a 22+ yo car that has run its course, done a fine job, but they are just too used and in bad shape.

I'm wanting a new track car, looked at the r32 gtr market and was not impressed with what I seen (and this was only online, didnt even bother going to physically look at any). You would need to spend as much tidying them up as you did on the purchase price, that suddenly makes it in the bottom end of the r34 gtr market which are 'still' 13yo cars.

I cannot see the value of r32 gtr's going up or holding value, even clean examples. Too many were made, too many are in the country and too many still exist at under $10k prices.

I have to agree with you Ben

Only real choice is buy one and under go a full resto

20 year old attessa will need a rebuild. And we all know what rb26s are like

So buy a cheap one strip it down to its birthday suit and you will find so much stuff that needs replacing. My 33 gtst was bad enough. Stripped it and was shocked at how bad everything was under the skin.

If I were going to buy one I would factor in a full driveline/engine rebuild and 10k worth of body work

Which as Ben said is 34 R money

But it would be good as new and awesome!

The problem is, trying buying brand new genuine nissan parts for it. When my flywheel let go 5 yrs ago and bent everything infront of the b-pillar I couldn't buy parts for it back then, imagine now!

Then you have an example like GTR32G's car that is very nice front to rear and with all the bells and whistles. Sure you couldn't build it for that price, but can you really justify handing over $45k for a 23yo model car?

Check out Chris Rogers gts4 resto Ben

Everything brand spankers!!

It's funny. I wouldn't spend 45k for a 23 year old Nissan

But I would spend it on a '70 Mach 1 mustang or a restored 67 fairlane 390 GT

The problem is, trying buying brand new genuine nissan parts for it. When my flywheel let go 5 yrs ago and bent everything infront of the b-pillar I couldn't buy parts for it back then, imagine now!

Then you have an example like GTR32G's car that is very nice front to rear and with all the bells and whistles. Sure you couldn't build it for that price, but can you really justify handing over $45k for a 23yo model car?

I couldn't agree more. The fine examples of the 32's out there are way over priced!!

And go on carsales and there is nothing good and everything v-spec is so over priced.

I would rather buy a 34 at that price and if u take ur time looking around a good one will come up.

^ ^ ^ If one extrapolates the above principle (Re: Parts availability) over the next 10 years, one would have to come to the conclusion that by 2020, one should not keep an R34 GT-R either because the production numbers of the R34 are so low compared to R32/33/35.

So it boils down to how long one intends to keep one of these cars for!!! This is the crux of the conundrum!!!