SAU Community

Where Do You Buy Sports Shoes / Gear?

DivHunter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I hate saying it.... but Marcs right.....

Our cost of living drives up the price of everything. High mark ups? would love to know who/what business you're talking about.

I deal with a lot of retails and have a fair idea of their mark ups and after all the bills are paid and the dust is settled, there isnt much left over.

When you have a retail shop, you have rent, wages, bills, suppliers all to pay before you pay yourself. When you're online (depending on the company) you have your own garage to store crap in and send it yourself.

People need to do whats best for them and if that's buying online to save a couple bucks then goodo

yeah that's why so many are going out of business, like i did. aussie retailers need substantial mark ups to make up for the fact that every other cost in australia is also higher. this is everything from the cost of stationary to the cost of the IT guy that they use to design a website and on to things like rent. the average small business owner would be doing well to be making what the government classes as the 'average wage' (about 50k). there are many who are making below minimum wage.

if any industry is gouging profits it's the commercial/industrial building sector. my sister in law has gotten 2 pay rises this year totalling an extra 17k per year. she's a building estimator and she's on nearly 110k a year and she doesn't even work in the mines. i think she may have even got another pay rise a few weeks ago because she is working up in townsville for a few months (even though work is paying for her accomodation, travel home on weekends, etc). pretty sure she said she's taking home an extra $300 a week while she's there.

but i said we shouldn't keep going on about it so i'll shut my mouth on the subject now

good post

the economy is supposed to be slow but you wouldn't know it from where I'm sitting in St Kilda... probably 5 or 6 big new residential buildings going up within 1 min walk of work... even in Highett, 30 secs from my house 3 new residential complexes and a massive supermarket/apartments going up... there isn't a day that I don't get held up on my way to work by some douche in a high vis jacket and stop sign in the middle of the road so a huge concrete or steel truck can get on site

Haha... This thread has turned into a debate..

It's so true.. We have a family business and over the last 6 years or so sales have dropped dramatically and the rent keeps going up.

I feel that the customer thinks you get the product for free and are making a huge mark up. But they don't see why things are expensive here. By the time you pay rent, workers, the product itself and ALL THE OTHER LITTLE OVER HEADS PEOPLE DON'T SEE, trust me there isn't much left for you.

I support the "local business" people whenever I can cause I know from 1st hand experience that they would be doing it tough. And to pay that little bit more shouldn't matter.

Australian retailers especially small businesses are finding hard to make ends meet anymore and I know A LOT of people who just pay their bills and have pretty much nothing left at the end of the week.

Edited by GTR32X

Enough of this economics bollocks.

Played last night (10:10PM start, seriously). I am very pleased with the UA Micro G Bloodline. Very comfortable, good grip / change of direction and quickly recovers from sweat/spilt water on the court. Probably a little less 'feel' than the Nike's I am used to but that's the comfort trade-off I guess. Only complaint would be feet felt a little hot toward the end of the game but nothing too serious, probably to do with the wide strap across the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Enough of this economics bollocks.

Played last night (10:10PM start, seriously). I am very pleased with the UA Micro G Bloodline. Very comfortable, good grip / change of direction and quickly recovers from sweat/spilt water on the court. Probably a little less 'feel' than the Nike's I am used to but that's the comfort trade-off I guess. Only complaint would be feet felt a little hot toward the end of the game but nothing too serious, probably to do with the wide strap across the top.

can't remember who it was that was telling me that the heat you sometimes feel with new shoes is to do with chemicals they treat the shoes with. basically has a similar effect to deap heat, etc.

• 1 month later...

I generally buy shoes online when I cant get the colour I want in the stores in AUS or can't get those shoes in AUS... Unfortunately sometimes the ones released for US market are much nicer and don't come here... And then Victorias Secret Corporate stuff online well because there aren't many stores in AUS...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ive started buying shoes from runningwarehouse.com

wow, talk about cheap

goodbye rebel sport forever!

I concur!!!

great site, easy to use and bloody cheap!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just looked at that website but don't ship Asics to oz. what stuff have you bought from them?

They ship free within the US, and i know a bird who lives in Indiana that lets me use her home addy. She then ships them off to me for about $20 postage

brand new Asics for less than $60

... booyah

I would have been pretty shattered to destroy $250 shoes at tough mudder, so this worked well

buying a few more pairs as presents soon, and will probably keep their true price a secret

odd one...

I saw an ad on the back of a bus for a sports shoe.

What caught my eye was the claim to being the lightest runners..

I'm pretty sure it said 156g

I'm trying to find out what it was but I missed the brand.

anyone know what it might be?

Basically after runners that a really light.

had a look at a few sport stores and there are models from Nike, adidas and puma I think it was that fit the bill.

any others people have seen?

I don't actually plan on doing any running in them.

just want light shoes.