SAU Community

E36 Bmw Coupe Build

Bsa

so my project is a rb25 into a 318is BMW iv been wanting to do this conversion for years but only now has the option become avalibale.

so i picked up a 318is 2 door e36 bmw for $600 from my local euro wreakers it was covered in moss and had not been touched in over 2 years needless to say it needed some work.

post-87022-0-15105700-1325069332_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-97883400-1325069348_thumb.jpg

photos show it all didnt take any photos from inside the car but it was worse then the outside as the drivers door had no window in.

so it got a wash before i put it on the trailer and come up a treat very straight no rust. loaded her up and took it home few more photos

post-87022-0-30804700-1325069501_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-08386600-1325069516_thumb.jpg

next i ripped all the interiour out and stared cleaning. there was 2 inchs of water on the floor and carpet weighed a stupid amount so i removed the sound deadening and there was heaps

post-87022-0-13082900-1325069872_thumb.jpg

thats just one side.

next i removed the fuel pump and installed my walbo out of my 32. the bloke that invented cable ties is a legend.

now all that is done putting it back together was the fun bit as i had to raid 2 other coupes to get all the bits i needed

post-87022-0-83592900-1325070092_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-50486800-1325070106_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-49652300-1325070119_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-52204900-1325070137_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-06526000-1325070152_thumb.jpg

now i knocked most of that over time to install the front mount

post-87022-0-03180400-1325070260_thumb.jpg

the jack is gone now it was to dark to take a photo when i finished. more to come soon just waiting on parts but one more photo wont hurt

post-87022-0-17103200-1325070390_thumb.jpg

cheers blake

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Block will have 20 tho oversized forged pistons, rb26 rods balanced and treated by red r, port and polished head, stock cams with adjustable pulley on exhaust, a Garret 3040 that has been extrude honed, external wastegate mod on stock manifold and running a 44 gate not sure on brand yet then a rb20 nistune for management with eboost or e boost 2 to controll vct should be a nice package. I only have the 20 box for now but will do untill I can buy a 25 box. I'm aiming for 300 but it's unrealistic to name a number so whatever I get I'll be happy. But turbo and manifold won't go on untill after it's regoed as engineering laws are changing

Edited by Bsa

I already have a nistune from my r 32 nistune is a standalone it's fully programable just not as good as a vipec and those big names. It's what my tuner is saying go with so I'm listening to him as he is helping with the build. On another note got power to the car yesterday after lots of mucking around all interior lights work, dash and alarm which caused me to hit my head on the bonnet. Not sure on sunroof yet as I need the relay for it. Been giving it a polish today and has reveled some upsetting spots. Rear bar needs attention and ratiator support is rusting through so I new one is needed. I'll also be making it push button start and rid of the ignition barrel simply because it don't have one and it's cheaper this way. Going to use a gtr gauge cluster for gauges which will fit neatly in where the cd player was. Also going to look at putting gtr brakes on it as I'm not confident with the stock brakes and the m3 brakes cost way to much. On a good note may have found some rims 19x9.5 and 19x8 with a massive dish will look sexy. I will post some pics of progress when I can cheers blake

Ok so I just majorly f..ked up I was re fixing the cooler as the air con lines where rubbing and worried me a bit and on removing the cooler it dropped and a screw went straight through one of the bars and it won't hold pressure. So my solution now is I'm cutting the tanks off my return flow and put the gtr tanks on that core

cooler installed still needs 2 more mounting points but ill sort it

post-87022-0-36241900-1325301292_thumb.jpg

hadnt cleaned it yet im painting the tanks black and leaving the core raw alloy

post-87022-0-81844900-1325301395_thumb.jpg

post-87022-0-29961800-1325301412_thumb.jpg

it will get there

Ok update not much but got the sunroof working and all electronics. I will be using a gtr gauge cluster (oil,volt snd boost) it it's perfectly where the cd player would go. I'm almost ready to install dummy motor is I can make all the mounts needed also get the electrics sorted so it's ready to run. Iv picked up a m3 LSD diff that is extremely tight so that will go in soon. As for having to modify the sump I'll be customizing a 25 one with a new pickup.

so iv been out hunting today for engineers and iv had no sucess nobody will engineer a convesion like this because of the new laws coming into play if it was a sr20 its a easy they will do it so now i have a serious problem and im stuck ill keep serching but this conversion look like it could turn sr

what size difference? capacity?

seems strange engineers are following rulings that arent currently released to the public.

should be able to whack a 4.4L turbo motor in there

That's what I thought but they are going off standard size motor which is 1.8 so a rb25 being 2.5 plus the turbo is over the capacity raiting which sucks plus I can't get my hands on any one else's papers to say it's been done If I could there would be a chance. Iv picked up a sr tonight for very cheap so I'm going that path it's easier and cheaper to build a sr also install it. I will really miss the sound of a rb but I'm confident I can get a good strong note out of this sr. At the end of the day both motors kick ass and will be fun in the BMW. So I'm currently stripping down this sr to see the problem it has I'll keep everyone posted