SAU Community

New Wheels are on the Car!!!

riggaP

Hello all,

I would like to share some pics of my new rims. They're 18x8 and made by Rays Engineering for Payton's Place. I bought them off the Yahoo Auctions in Japan thru J-Spec. J-Spec have also sourced me some Tein coil overs which should be here soon allowing me to put the car on its arse :)

The tyres are Hankook Ventus K104s (235/40/18f, 255/35/18r). The reason for the Hankooks goes a little like this; I was sold by the fact that they have the same traction rating (AA), same heat rating (A), and better wear rating (280 vs 220) when compared to the Michellin Pilot Sports. The best part is they're almost half the price!

Let me know what you think :D

wheels1800.jpg

rays.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sold by the fact that they have the same traction rating (AA), same heat rating (A), and better wear rating (280 vs 220) when compared to the Michellin Pilot Sports.

I hope you realise that the higher the treadwear rating (280 vs 220), the harder the tyre it is...

The Michelin Pilot Sports are a lot softer and stickier than the Hankooks... Yours will last longer but won't have the same level of grip.

Nice wheels! :)

Nice, what did you pay?

I dont really know because I havent made the final payment :) (long story). I'm expecting around the $1300 mark. Not bad for a brand new set of 18" Ray's :D

Hope you got lock nuts.

Yep, in fact would-be thieves would have to come ultra prepared ;)

I hope you realise that the higher the tread wear rating (280 vs. 220), the harder the tyre it is...

The Michelin Pilot Sports are a lot softer and stickier than the Hankooks... Yours will last longer but won't have the same level of grip.

Nice wheels! :)

Yep, I'll pay that. But heres the deal, I had a V104K and a Pilot Sport side by side at the tyre shop. Everything about these 2 tyres was bloody similar. As I said, the traction and heat ratings are exactly the same, the tread patterns are bloody similar, and the review both tyres got in Motor (Dec 2003) is also bloody similar. That, teamed up with the fact that Michelin own 80% of Hankook, was enough for me to save the $200 odd per corner at the expense of negligible traction differences. And, as you pointed out, they'll last longer :D

hey Shan how hard is it to get me 2 of these Enkei style rims the ones on the back in 16's

Not very. If you can find them on auctions.yahoo.co.jp J-Spec can get them for you. Just be prepared to wait...

you might be able to convince em to chuck the rims in the boot of the car if its still in japan. The new container we're packing should be ready ina few weeks, and then its shipping time again :D

which means all my shit will finally get here, then its widebody time :D:)

basically costs are:

cost to buy rims

cost to transport rims from seller to tokyo container packing place

taxes

then once it arrives here you pay a percentage of the total shipping cost which is broken up by how much you transported (dimensions and weight factors).

For example to ship my entire bodykit cost $400 (bodykit itslef cost $900) so for $1300 I got a brand spanking new not found in australia bodykit :D

Oh and not all Rays are expensive... :) if you know how to get em

Guest RedLineGTR

man they look hella nice :) where do u live?? :D j/k

they even look sweet with the current ride height (assume its stock?)

Cheers Rob