SAU Community

R34 N/a Brake Upgrade

I think these are the specs for the brake rotors:

R34 GT : 296mm x 30mm (4 pot sumitomo caliper)

R34 GTT : 310mm x 30mm (4 pot sumitomo caliper)

So since the rotors are larger on the GTT, it will take a higher heat range hence you can brake harder for longer.

Looking at the Project MU website for brake pads they all take the same part number (E236) = Wide: 119.2mm.

Thanks for the info dude though I don't have GTR kind of cash on hand right now haha.

so I can just take the whole thing off a gtt right ? and have no problems fitting to my N/A ?

kind of a N00B with this stuff for now

Again Thanks

Thanks for the info dude though I don't have GTR kind of cash on hand right now haha.

:)

Just to give you an idea, cheapest I have found so far is $1500 for a whole set (R34 GTR full set)

You just want to change front? Or do the rears as well?

A full caliper set for the R34 GTT, is around the $500 mark.

so I can just take the whole thing off a gtt right ? and have no problems fitting to my N/A ?

kind of a N00B with this stuff for now

Again Thanks

I recently did a Brembo upgrade on my R32 (front)

They were off a R32 GTR V-Spec and everything bolted straight up, except the stone guards.

Due to the rotors being larger, you either flatten out the top rim or cut it off to fit the larger rotors.

The rest should be a straight fit.

I believe it will be a similar process with the R34 GT and R34 GTT caliper kits.

So where the calipers bolt in / where the rotors slot in / where the brake lines screw in, all should be the same.

Flatten out or cut off stone guards.

What you will need is:

R34 GTT Calipers

New Brake Pads: 119.2mm

New Rotors: 310mm x 30mm

I would buy a new set of metal braided brake hose lines too. HEL make braided lines and you can pick up a set (front and rear) starting from $130+

I would also get the R34 GTT calipers reconditioned to play it safe.

Also double check with your mechanic as well.

Also check how much clearance you have with your wheels.

Judging from the wheels in your avatar pic, you should be fine as GTT Calipers are not huge compared to GT Calipers, might be slightly bigger.

Also the rotors are not massive as you are only going up 14mm in diametre size.

But keep it in mind, should be all good.

Your a smart man^ and I was hoping to do I full upgrade though I am a little low on cash right now after getting the cf Z-tune bonnet .

Now I just have to hunt down the goodies I will be needing and see what this will set me back . Now you say rotors are 310mm is this just the front the back ones would be a lil smaller right 297mm ??

Mind if I ask where is a good place to get Rotors/Calipers from ?

Many Thanks Adrian

Ok from what I see in them posts ^ I guess I do have 14mm bolt holes and if not ill just get them drilled 2mm as I really do want the gtt setup

A lot of bull shit going around about the whole N/a 34 brake upgrades though haha..

Just had a look at my car today (been under a cover few days) and I have 2 NEW small dints on my god dam door

kind of odd when i have not been anywhere.....

Just looking over eBay and I got to thinking what if I was to get new "Slotted" Rotors for the N/a r34 like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SLOTTED-Nissan-Skyline-R34-NON-TURBO-Front-RDA-Disc-Brake-Rotors-NEW-PAIR-/110834215702?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ce3beb16#ht_1595wt_1004

same size as stock I know but it should in its self be a ok upgrade with new pads (green stuff or whatever)

Edited by joker's r34

Your a smart man^ and I was hoping to do I full upgrade though I am a little low on cash right now after getting the cf Z-tune bonnet .

Now I just have to hunt down the goodies I will be needing and see what this will set me back . Now you say rotors are 310mm is this just the front the back ones would be a lil smaller right 297mm ??

Mind if I ask where is a good place to get Rotors/Calipers from ?

Many Thanks Adrian

All good :D

That's right Only the fronts are larger.

I am using DBA Rotors at the moment.

Many will suggest RDA Rotors and EBC Brake Pads.

Project MU is worth taking a look for Rotors and Brake Pads.

http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/

http://www.dba.com.au/

http://rdabrakes.com.au/index.php/products.html

To get the calipers, either search the For Sale Thread on SAU, ask Aaron from Import Monster (SAU Trader) or give Nissan the Part Number to see if they can order it in for you.

Don't bother with 2nd hand rotors and pads, they are priced quiet well for a brand new item.

With 2nd calipers, get your mechanic to recondition them, it won't cost that much.

Just looking over eBay and I got to thinking what if I was to get new "Slotted" Rotors for the N/a r34 like this http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1595wt_1004

same size as stock I know but it should in its self be a ok upgrade with new pads (green stuff or whatever)

Project MU / DBA / RDA will all make a slotted rotor.

Green Stuff us made by EBC, it would suite the needs if you car is on a street sports level / spirited driving.

If you want something a tad more aggressive, get Red Stuff.

Due to the rotors being larger, you either flatten out the top rim or cut it off to fit the larger rotors.

The rest should be a straight fit.

I believe it will be a similar process with the R34 GT and R34 GTT caliper kits.

^^^

Exactly right, i have 34 gtt brakes in my car. thats all you need to do.

only thing you'll run into is that the banjo bolts which u will take from your na brakes (because gtt uses a steel pipe which connects to the banjo bolt, which therefore means u can't use it) will be a tad too long, so either source a slightly shorter bolt (which u may find very difficult) or stuff a copper washer behind each side of the bolt.

fyi not all R34 GT's have 296mm front brakes. My girlfriends had 280mm with 14mm holes. Ended up converting to R33 GTST rotors and calipers using 1mm thick sleve for the bolts to suit 12mm bolt

• 2 weeks later...

fyi not all R34 GT's have 296mm front brakes. My girlfriends had 280mm with 14mm holes. Ended up converting to R33 GTST rotors and calipers using 1mm thick sleve for the bolts to suit 12mm bolt

Yeap, i did the same!

• 5 years later...

Digging up an old thread but here is some additional info for any future readers...

I found the CHEAPEST upgrade for R34 GT with 280mm front discs is to use S14/S15 200SX (Silvia) turbo calipers.

The Silvia calipers are 4 pot type with Nissan written on the side. The mounting bolts and brake fluid lines bolt straight up so there is no need to change anything else.

I got a pair of calipers at a wreckers for $100 and a new set of Bendix pads for $60.

Obviously bigger discs and calipers are better, but this is a really easy and cheap upgrade anyone can do.

IMG_20170821_140551494-w.jpg

• Like 3