SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

DOT? We're not in America. These are DOT too:

ho_a7_ci2_l.jpg

NT01 have no load index rating on the sidewalls. They're not road legal in Australia. They're not CAMS approved either. They're not good for much at all really.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Are the nankangs road legal?

I reckon 265 vs 265 Nitto v nankang that they would be very similar speed, but also willing to bet the Nitto would be more consistent over the lifespan of the tyre and the nankang will fall off.

Yet you hold such a grudge.

Anyway I'm over it. Back to real data and no more speculations.

lol Silly me! I thought I had real data having used both tyres on the same car. I defer to your "I reckon" and "I bet" guesswork based on never even having seen one of these tyres...

Edited by hrd-hr30

no, but your post did - you asked me a question (yes the Nankangs are road legal btw), then told me I hold "such a grudge".

NT01 are consistent, that's true. But you can't lose what you never had :P

AR01 could drop off at least a second over their life and still be as good as brand new NT01s. The soft compound Hankook Z221s when they had totally given up the ghost and were sliding around all over the place were still faster than the NT01s, but it was time to chuck them out as absolute garbage.
What the Nankangs do over heat cycles remains to be seen. I've had tyres that heat cycle really well and ones that deteriorate very quickly after a handful of track days, but I certainly can't tell which would do what from just driving on them once, let alone just from their brand name.

FWIW, Nankang has technology licencing and technical support agreements with Yokohama... That's from Yokohama's website, not Nankang's - they don't mention it at all. Who knows how much of their technology is involved with the AR1, but it was one of the factors that encouraged me to take the gamble on these $209 semis! lol I wouldn't be so quick to write them off before trying them.

lol this thread heated up ;) I've used NT01's which are a real semi slick and not bad but not up there with the best for racing in 2016. One thing with Harry's reports is that they are roughly comparative with the other tyres he has used so to dismiss them outright is just plain dumb. Then again he won't say what cold pressures are used so...........

lol this thread heated up ;) I've used NT01's which are a real semi slick and not bad but not up there with the best for racing in 2016. One thing with Harry's reports is that they are roughly comparative with the other tyres he has used so to dismiss them outright is just plain dumb. Then again he won't say what cold pressures are used so...........

Agree that testing with the same car and driver is the best evidence. Not sure why you think his cold pressure is a big deal, just play with it and see what works. Will be different on different cars anyway.

1. They're the slowest semi money can buy.

2. They're not road legal so you can't even legally drive to the track on them which is a PITA.

3. They're not CAMS approved for production car classes.

You're better of doing very similar times on street tyres, or buying literally any other semi (other than R888 :P)

What's wrong with the R888 (besides being the same compound as NT01)?

The replacement tyre R888R is street legal, it'll be interesting to see if the upcoming NT01 replacement will be too, and whether they'll again share the same compound.

Also the NT01 vs. RS-RR comparison seems a little odd, they're a different category tyre aren't they (100 treadwear semi vs. 140 treadwear street semi)?