SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

What about Hankook Z221's, not the two groove ones. Only available in 17 and 18" but three compounds listed. For sprints I'd be tempted to try the softs.

What about Hankook Z221's, not the two groove ones. Only available in 17 and 18" but three compounds listed. For sprints I'd be tempted to try the softs.

Neil used them on the weekend at Bathurst and found they worked better than the Avon softs (that cost $200ea more). There's a reason they were banned from superlap

I thought Neil's Avon's were supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread with their special break in process.

If Neil is happy with the Hankook offering compared to the Avon's then they would be a great tyre for the money considering that they are hundreds of dollars cheaper each.

Go back to page 18 and read my post about them. Cliffs: Great when new, but the soft compound only last a handful of track days. Admittedly, I am hard on tyres, and the car is no featherweight...

Edited by hrd-hr30

Go back to page 18 and read my post about them. Cliffs: Great when new, but the soft compound only last a handful of track days. Admittedly, I am hard on tyres, and the car is no featherweight...

If yours were softs then on your heavyweight and in hot weather that's asking a bit much don't you think Harry? I was thinking mediums for mine which is several 100kg lighter, something like 255 rear, 235 front tyres.

Richard: "For sprints I'd be tempted to try the softs"

Harry: softs don't last long

Richard: "softs were asking a bit much don't you think Harry... I was thinking mediums..."

Harry: :/ uh, glad I could help?

lol Yes Harry, instead of waffing around I should have come right out with it and said that the Hankook softs on your unsophisticated heavyweight very likely overheated and so were cactus from then on which was hardly the tyres fault. For me, being tempted to use softs is a bit different to thinking mediums which obviously is the safer option.

The hottest conditions I used them in was at Morgan Park at about 34degrees ambient. They showed no signs of overheating on the day - grip never dropped off like it would if they got too hot, and they still went well at a hillclimb and Phillip Island after that, so I don't think "they overheated and were cactus from then on".

There is no chance the hillclimb overheated them. It was nice and cool at Phillip Island and they were great down there too. Not only did grip not drop off in any session as it would if they got too hot, but I did my best lap on the last lap of the day. Next time I used them they were instantly horrible and got worse with each lap. They just lived their life-span of heat cycles if you ask me.

lol at someone running pogo stick and horrible multi-link rear suspension calling the Soarer's double wishbones unsophisticated!

Edited by hrd-hr30

Double wishbone suspension eh, like the old Holdens used to have up front. You are on a winner there Harry :no:

Anyway tyres. MP, depending on which circuit, can be a bit hard on tyres, all those sharp corners. And I have no idea if overheated tyres go off straight away or just can have their life shortened. Must check that out.

• 3 weeks later...

Semi related (pun) to this thread – what would you guys recommend running for a hill climb?

I've signed up for the Haunted Hills intro next month and have the following options:

• Street rims: Kumho KU36 (UTQC 180)
  • Track rims: Toyo R888R (UTQC 100)

I'm guessing it might be hard to get enough heat into the Toyos to be effective on short runs...?

• 5 weeks later...

As an experienced hillclimber, the semi (even the R888) will always be better than the KU36.

Thanks for the tip Harry, exactly what I did.

I'm really liking the R888R, even in my skinny 225/45ZR17 square setup. Very communicative and plenty of warning before they let go, in a progressive way.

I'm new to semis so can only compare to street tyres, but still definitely recommended.

No probs.

I'm about to take the gamble on new Nankang AR-1 semis. For the price they're worth a go. 80 treadwear. Feel nice and soft. Super strong sidewalls. I have a good feeling about them

Saw those nankang AR-1 on ebay for around 200 each for a 265/35/18. interested to see how they perform. Definitely worth a go. If I was in the market for a semi id try it. Keep us posted if you try them hrd-hr30.

yep, that's where I found them. My set arrived today. 265/35 R18 for the Soarer, so it will be a direct comparison vs:

245/40 Nitto NT01 - 1:01.3 Lakeside

235/40 Hankook Z221 - 0:59.8 Lakeside

post-15659-0-79973200-1463119625_thumb.jpg

Edited by hrd-hr30