Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

Just reporting back

295 hand cock z221 c70

I bought these used from a super lap competitor in 2012

4 super sprints later and still have a day left in them

Consistent so far will report back once I am through to the belts

Ok thanks, I'll stay away.

I checked out the Z221 and it's only the soft compound available, some stages are 30km long so I think they will be too soft.

Last time I'll spam this thread tonight...

Has anyone used RE11s? A set of these has come up for sale in my budget, 235/45r17 and 2013 production.

I can't find any info online regarding compounds or treadwear, the Bridgestone website doesn't say much at all.

Bridgestone-Potenza-Motorsport-RE11S.png

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I'll spam this thread tonight...

Has anyone used RE11s? A set of these has come up for sale in my budget, 235/45r17 and 2013 production.

I can't find any info online regarding compounds or treadwear, the Bridgestone website doesn't say much at all.

Bridgestone-Potenza-Motorsport-RE11S.png

These were the replacements for the RE55S

If they're no good for you, let me know where you can get them cheap and I'll take them!

• 1 month later...

I was very impressed with these Z221's yesterday. 1.5sec faster than the Nitto NT01s I had before! I did fit a FMIC as well since last time, but can't imagine that being worth much time. It gained 1.5psi with the intercooler, and does go a little better by seat of the pants. But the tyres are damn good!

c'mon Harry throw people a few more comments about the Z221 and how they performed at the QSS State Championships. Ambients closer to summertime and a car broadly similar to R chassis on a track layout with variety of corners/speeds/loads.

I love them! Heaps of grip and the Z221 C70 compound is wearing well. After Lakeside and a hillclimb they still had the Hankook written on the outer tread block surface. That's gone now after the two day supersprint at Morgan Park, but the wear isn't bad at all. This is on a 1530kg Soarer (without driver) and temps in the low 30s. The tyres don't even feel like going off after the 3 laps we were running.

Let's face it, they must be pretty good to get an auto Soarer to 0.9sec off the class winner (also on Z221 C70 'Soft') and 6th in class from 35 cars, including 11 EVOs and STIs.

I just wish I bought wider ones lol When the car can easily take 265s on the front and 295s rear, you're giving away a decent chunk of time by running 235s all round... Maybe next time...

Here's a couple of laps - sorry about the wind noise, it was too hot to have the windows up.

• Like 1

I love them! Heaps of grip and the Z221 C70 compound is wearing well. After Lakeside and a hillclimb they still had the Hankook written on the outer tread block surface. That's gone now after the two day supersprint at Morgan Park, but the wear isn't bad at all. This is on a 1530kg Soarer (without driver) and temps in the low 30s. The tyres don't even feel like going off after the 3 laps we were running.

Let's face it, they must be pretty good to get an auto Soarer to 0.9sec off the class winner (also on Z221 C70 'Soft') and 6th in class from 35 cars, including 11 EVOs and STIs.

I just wish I bought wider ones lol When the car can easily take 265s on the front and 295s rear, you're giving away a decent chunk of time by running 235s all round... Maybe next time...

Here's a couple of laps - sorry about the wind noise, it was too hot to have the windows up.

Cheers for awesome info, I am considering this tyre in 17" for my R34 GTT sedan.

Hey if it's not too much trouble could you please measure the actual tyre width when mounted (somewhere off the ground)?

I am trying to gauge how close to the specced 235mm they actually are (my current Eagle F1's are 235's and measure 231mm).

Thanks heaps!

my 235/40R18 are more like 240mm, and the sidewalls sit totally straight on an 8.5" rim. I've got them on 9.5s on the back with a slight stretch.

Brilliant thanks mate!

I was hoping to go 235's but might have to stick with 225's due to the width as I'm running 20mm spacers on the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Cross posting from the tyre thread since the semis are relevant here too. http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/72923-tyres-you-used-and-how-u-would-rate-them/page-74

Called around a lot yesterday, here's some fresh Melbourne prices (hopefully I scribbled them down right) using the 225/45R17 size as a reference:
Semis:
  • Dunlop DZ03G $640
  • Hankook Z221 (C50) $463
  • Yokohama Advan A050 $462
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE11S $450
  • Toyo Proxes R888 (GG) $325
  • Nitto NT01 $285
Hybrids:
  • Dunlop Direzza ZII $290
  • Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R $276
  • Hankook R-S3 Z222 $220
I ended up going with the Toyos, will post impressions after I've run them for a bit.
Edited by V28VX37

Cross posting from the tyre thread since the semis are relevant here too. http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/72923-tyres-you-used-and-how-u-would-rate-them/page-74

Called around a lot yesterday, here's some fresh Melbourne prices (hopefully I scribbled them down right) using the 225/45R17 size as a reference:
Semis:
  • Dunlop DZ03G $640
  • Hankook Z221 (C50) $463
  • Yokohama Advan A050 $462
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE11S $450
  • Toyo Proxes R888 (GG) $325
  • Nitto NT01 $285
Hybrids:
  • Dunlop Direzza ZII $290
  • Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R $276
  • Hankook R-S3 Z222 $220
I ended up going with the Toyos, will post impressions after I've run them for a bit.

I have a mate who imports the Z221 235/45/17 in soft for $400 a corner.

PM me if interested!

• Like 1

There's a new Toyo R888-R semi slick out now. I saw them in the flesh at Phillip Island last weekend. They're supposed to be the same GG compound but they felt alot softer to me. Assymetric tread pattern instead of the old directional pattern.

• Like 1

I have a mate who imports the Z221 235/45/17 in soft for $400 a corner.

PM me if interested!

Thanks Dan, does he do any other sizes? A mate of mine has an Evo and is looking to upgrade his NT01's at some stage, I think they're 18's.

There's a new Toyo R888-R semi slick out now. I saw them in the flesh at Phillip Island last weekend. They're supposed to be the same GG compound but they felt alot softer to me. Assymetric tread pattern instead of the old directional pattern.

Cheers Harry, great to know! I found some info here about the UK release: http://www.toyo.co.uk/page/index/identifier/1

Yes the compound designation is the same 'GG' ('SG' also available) but I wouldn't be surprised if it's all new. The tread pattern is completely different to the R888.

One article said that the R will supersede the normal R888 over the course of 2015, and the Aus site lists R888 as 'while stocks last'.

I priced these with my tyre shop today and they are available, the R888R is around $50 more per corner over the R888.

R888 datasheet: http://toyotires.com.au/images/tyres/factsheet/pdf/proxesr888.pdf

R888R datasheet: http://toyotires.com.au/images/tyres/factsheet/pdf/ProxesR888R.pdf

What's curious is that the R888 is load rated 94W in 235/45ZR17 but the R888R is only 91W. It's also a couple of mm narrower.

I've decided to stick with the R888, should be good enough for a first set of semis :)

Well turns out that R888 was out of stock in my size so I ended up getting the new R888R after all. The tread pattern is really curious, see below - there are no arrows on the sidewalls just the marking 'outside', so these will roll in different directions on opposing sides.

What's the recommended run in/scrub in procedure for semis?

Based on some sources you could just run them on the freeway for 20 minutes and then let them sit for a couple of days?

23166784965_61fa14a021_z.jpg

ideally, you want to do one smooth session on the track - no sliding, no understeering, but get them nice and hot. Then you take them off and leave them at least overnight. No-one does that though - just use them and don't worry about breaking them in. If you're fussy, be nice and smooth on them for the first track day.

• Like 1