SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

AD08R's are miles ahead of KU36's, very impressed with them.

Tried to source a set of 235/40/17 AD08R's, but no luck whatsoever as they're out of stock nationally and the ETA for the next batch is 'unknown'.

Then tried to source some Toyo R888's instead, but no luck as none in stock nationally and none on order.

So it looks like im even gonna have to source my farkkkinn tyres direct from Japan.

my take on these street-track crossover tyres is that anything that costs as much as cheaper semis is pointless - buy the semis! So for me that rules out AD08, RS3 and R1R. If you really have to have the fastest tyre over 120 UTQG reagardless, WTAC pre-control tyres pretty much proved its the RS3. And they should be cheaper than AD08 too.

Otherwise that basically leaves the choices down to KU36, RSR and 123S if you're looking for something cheaper than semis that will do an OK job on the track and road..

RSR are the fastest of the rest but wear out so quickly that buying semis works out to be better value.

KU36 - I've had these on a Supra and Legnum. They do respectable times and can cop an absolute flogging. They were quiet on the Supra but noisey on the Legnum. They were good in the wet imo, but many disagree with that. 180 treadwear. These lasted as long as normal road tyres on my Supra and did heaps of track days locally and interstate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these again.

123S - all i really know is the Excel racers do pretty respectable times on them. 200 treadwear and very deep tread - might be a bit squirmy at first but they should last pretty well. Sidewalls seem nice and stiff too. I just put a set of these on my Datto yesterday. The main reasons I chose these over KU36 was that he had them in stock and gave me a pretty sharp price on them.

Car is set up for R comps which are used for proper track days and will stay that way. Don't want to get a wheel alignment every time I change tyres so will live with the less than optimum setup for the roadies.

AD08R's are miles ahead of KU36's, very impressed with them.

ok let's do the exercise step by step. My Soarer needs new rear tyres: 265/35 R18

Yokohama AD08R $467ea

Hankook RS3 $ ?? couldn't find a price, but even the Z221 semi is $479 - a whopping $12 more than AD08R!

Kumho KU36 $225ea

Nitton NT05 $220ea

Achillies 123S $195ea

Federal RSR $190ea

Nankang NS2R $179ea

one of these things is not like the others!

It's good to hear they're miles ahead of the KU36. They'd bloody well want to be - they're more than double the price! You're paying full on semi-slick money for them. Why not just buy semis? Semis won't last a whole lot less using them on the road. Here's a couple that are way cheaper than AD08R

R888 265/35 $380ea

NT01 275/35 $280ea

The only reason I can see to buy AD08R is if you are competing in Superlap Clubsprint class.

One thing to consider is that there are people claiming to have done 12 track days and 5,000km on the street on AD08Rs. Certainly not possible to get that sort of economy out of A050s

I actually got around 18days over 2 years and +15,000km on a silvia running 235/45/17. The replacements were $300pc fitted/balanced and unlike Harry, other road tyres weren't that much cheaper whereas decent semis were quite a bit more, only r888 came in at that price.

fair enough if you can get them for a similar price as other crossover tyres, or if you're in an event/series that requires these sort of things. I guess with more events having street tyre classes these days it's kinda changing the equation a bit - if you want to be competitive, you buy the best tyres allowed regardless of cost.

18 track days is pretty impressive life! My old Supra got 12 track days and 15,000km on KU36s before the rears wore out, and I thought that was good...

ok let's do the exercise step by step. My Soarer needs new rear tyres: 265/35 R18

Yokohama AD08R $467ea

Hankook RS3 $ ?? couldn't find a price, but even the Z221 semi is $479 - a whopping $12 more than AD08R!

Kumho KU36 $225ea

Nitton NT05 $220ea

Achillies 123S $195ea

Federal RSR $190ea

Nankang NS2R $179ea

one of these things is not like the others!

It's good to hear they're miles ahead of the KU36. They'd bloody well want to be - they're more than double the price! You're paying full on semi-slick money for them. Why not just buy semis? Semis won't last a whole lot less using them on the road. Here's a couple that are way cheaper than AD08R

R888 265/35 $380ea

NT01 275/35 $280ea

The only reason I can see to buy AD08R is if you are competing in Superlap Clubsprint class.

Hey mate,

Not sure if you tried Traction Tyres, but I got AD08R's in the same size for 380 (think it was actually 365...can look at the receipt if u want), a couple of months ago.

I was quoted 430 for 285/30/18.

• 4 weeks later...

about to give a few options a try

r888 were shit but consistently shit

just put a set of ao50m's on so will let ya know how they go compared to the 888's is expect them to be awesome for a lap then f**k out with the gtrs weight

then will review against a set of c70's

TAlking about AD08s and RS3s in this thread?

They aren't semi slicks / r-compounds at all!

Nobody said they were. In fact, the discussion started with someone saying he already had R-comps but wanted some S-comps for driving to events about 400km away and as a road tyre iirc.

Edited by hrd-hr30

No argument there, but a circuit capable tyre for less than half the cost of most r-compounds is worth mentioning.

Haha just having a stir :)

Nitto NT05 pricing outta Taleb is almost the best value atm IMO. My set of 20" is like 1,100... Now that is cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

well tried the hankcock c70, i bought 6 295/45/18 for 500

some were pretty thrashed

compared to the new r888's i had on they were epic

almost hit the first water filled barrier on the track because when i turned the steering wheel the car tunred

scared the shit out of me

easily held 10km/h higher speeds mid corner

would band again

i am guessing if you bought new one they would be ever better

well tried the hankcock c70, i bought 6 295/45/18 for 500

some were pretty thrashed

compared to the new r888's i had on they were epic

almost hit the first water filled barrier on the track because when i turned the steering wheel the car tunred

scared the shit out of me

easily held 10km/h higher speeds mid corner

would band again

i am guessing if you bought new one they would be ever better

You talking about the soft compound Z221 - the C7?

How are they relative to the A050's?

• Like 1