SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

Had some ku36s before and they impressed me for street and track. They do go off after 2 hard laps at wakefield but till then were good. They do deteriorate rather quick in performance from when new to old.

Have some nt01s on now and keen to try these on wakefield...seems from reports it might not be too suitable but i generally do 2 flying laps then a cooldown or 2.
Interesting that someone noted nt01s aren't much better than rsr's... i would've expected them to be. New ku36's i think were marginally better than rsr's and these nt01's destroy the ku36s imho.

Interesting to note is the nt01 seems to be very light, especially for an r comp... and the sidewall is not stiff at all...

I have NT01's. They are simply Toyo R888 in disguise. Nitto is a brand subsiduary of Toyo. They are made by Toyo in Japan, in Toyo factories. Have the same construction according to Nitto/Toyo. Have the same compound. They're just a Toyo R888 with a different pattern and cheaper price.

Like the Toyo R888 which I've also had, they're not a great semi. They're OK, but not a patch on the top ones. But they are half the price, so what would you expect? If you want a cheap semi that will do the job OK and be consistent through it's life, they're fine. If you're expecting really good things from them compared to other semis, you'll probably be dissapointed.

Had some ku36s before and they impressed me for street and track. They do go off after 2 hard laps at wakefield but till then were good. They do deteriorate rather quick in performance from when new to old.

Have some nt01s on now and keen to try these on wakefield...seems from reports it might not be too suitable but i generally do 2 flying laps then a cooldown or 2.
Interesting that someone noted nt01s aren't much better than rsr's... i would've expected them to be. New ku36's i think were marginally better than rsr's and these nt01's destroy the ku36s imho.

Interesting to note is the nt01 seems to be very light, especially for an r comp... and the sidewall is not stiff at all...

That's the opposite of my experience with all those tyres.

I set PBs on KU36 right to the end of their life. They stayed very consistent right through their life.

KU36 are not in the same league as RSR's performance - no way in the world!

I'd have to agree that NT01's are not a whole lot better in performance than RSR. They will last longer though, and not go off as quickly as RSR's in a session.

NT01 sidewall is as stiff as other semis I've used, and I wouldn't say they were light for a semi either.

Are you sure you're not talking about NT05's?

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from wakefield today running the nt01's.
As expected (to me), they slaughter the ku36's i had before. Steering was so much busier with ku36's constantly doing mini counters to prevent the arse coming out (sometimes on entry but mostly on exit).

Tires responded well to pressure change, found sweet spot for me was around 35-36 hot. They do go off after a good hard few laps needing a 2 lap cool down (perfect, as the fluids needed it then too lol).

hrd-hr30,

Yep i know the nt01s are almost the same as r888's. I have read/heard that the nt01's for some reason are noticeably better than the r888's though ?? *shrugs*.
At the price i got them for, i'm not complaining but you're right... i would love to try some a048/50s some day.

Also, after a session today, i pushed the top of the tire fairly lightly and could see the sidewall move lol. Ku36 sidewalls were definitely stiffer. I can feel it just driving around on the streets from just going over bumps even ? Hrmm

Edited by Touge Kyousou

Fatz,

The nt01's feel a bit better than a second faster than ku36's to me, but my experience is only wakefield. Though... i did change wheels at the same time so it's not apples to apples unfortunately.

hrd-hr30,

Yep i know the nt01s are almost the same as r888's. I have read/heard that the nt01's for some reason are noticeably better than the r888's though ?? *shrugs*.

At the price i got them for, i'm not complaining but you're right... i would love to try some a048/50s some day.

Also, after a session today, i pushed the top of the tire fairly lightly and could see the sidewall move lol. Ku36 sidewalls were definitely stiffer. I can feel it just driving around on the streets from just going over bumps even ? Hrmm

If they are, I couldn't notice it - and I've had both R888 and NT01. The Nitto is also designed to be buffed down to a 2 groove cheater slick for optimum dry performance. Perhaps the people who claim they're noticeably better buff them...

They must have changed KU36 since I've had them! Really stiff sidewalls and faster than RSR's are not the way I'd describe them. I found that they worked best at about 42-44psi like a normal street tyre due to their soft construction...

NT01s on the other hand, like other proper semi slicks with stronger construction, I run at about 32psi hot and let the tyre's construction do the job it's designed for.

Edited by hrd-hr30

NT01s on the other hand, like other proper semi slicks with stronger construction, I run at about 32psi hot and let the tyre's construction do the job it's designed for.

Plus 1 on the nt-01, not the quickest semi, but you can beat the hell out of them and lasts for a age.

Just came back from a trackday on slicks..... Michelins.

Never going back to semis (unless for regulation)

So progressive. But so so hard to get temp into on a cold day at Wakefield. A solid three laps before they were round a decent temp.

Just came back from a trackday on slicks..... Michelins.

Never going back to semis (unless for regulation)

So progressive. But so so hard to get temp into on a cold day at Wakefield. A solid three laps before they were round a decent temp.

Michelin Man :ph34r:

I got them from a friend who uses them on a Group A car, that I work on pro bono. I got the old stuff at the back of the shed. :)

24/64/17 S8D.

Unfortunately retail is around $500ea new.

Best to figure out what size you want, and then try to figure out who would use them. I'll give you a hint, V8 supercar tyres work quite well on GTRs if you can get your hands on some...

• Like 1

Where'd you get slicks from and how much? Always considered getting a set to try.

dude, buy some ex-porsche cup dunlop slicks. most of the guys bin them after each race meet (3 sessions or so). usually want $100 each for them and susprisingly last a while

dude, buy some ex-porsche cup dunlop slicks. most of the guys bin them after each race meet (3 sessions or so). usually want $100 each for them and susprisingly last a while

Pretty sure that's what I'll do when the ADO8's die.

Just be aware of the increase in lateral load they produce. My neck is killing me two days later, and I broke a seat mount, which hasn't happened in the last five track outings!