SAU Community

Surge Holes In T88

hey guys i have a 33gtr and i want to drill some surge holes in my turbo ,,,,,its a t88-34d mostly want it done for the sound it will make can u guys please help

hey guys i have a 33gtr and i want to drill some surge holes in my turbo ,,,,,its a t88-34d mostly want it done for the sound it will make can u guys please help

Just get a drill out mate, space them so you can fit around 8 holes in if you want great sound.

my turbo does surge i dont have bov is there any websites i can look at to give me more of an idea on how to drill and were to drill in my t88

my turbo does surge i dont have bov is there any websites i can look at to give me more of an idea on how to drill and were to drill in my t88

That's just the external wastegate fluttering, don't worry about it.

That's crap Nismoid....

.......you need at least 10 if you want the sweet sound.

Lol.

Anyway Sam, the holes aren't drilled right through, they go down to a slot which has to be machined in on a lathe, at the height of the lower compressor blades. Perhaps Hypergear could get the slot and holes machined for you? Or can you use a gt35 front and bore it out? I've got a chinese .7 surge ported one here you can buy cheap.

What it will do for performance is anyones guess, do you have surge at the moment you're trying to get rid of or is it purely for the noise? Perhaps a folded gum leaf in front of the compressor would work well? :P

riiiight, so u have tried and proven this then ?

It's a well proven fact that surge slots SLIGHTLY increase lag, they are used on turbos with compressors that flow a lot relative to the turbine side as they are at a higher risk of surge than other turbos. You can't just drill holes in your turbo and expect it to work just like surge slots, it simply won't!

Are you 100% sure you know exactly what surge is and that your turbo is actually surging? If it is the easiest fix (albeit not ideal) is to make it slightly lazier coming onto boost.

I've tested it person that anti surge holes would reduce power to boost ratio and increase lag. I wouldn't run the anti surging setup unless it is surging, and the last thing I had to do to overcome this problem.