WTBN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

What sort of noise does an M35 turbo usually make when its on the way out? I have always heard turbo failure as a whine, but mine and just started making a clicking/scratching noise under low boost/when i take off, but rectifying itself higher in the revs or in 3rd+ gear. Is this actually the turbo on the way out?

The Odo says its only done 66k, seems a litte early really...

What sort of noise does an M35 turbo usually make when its on the way out? I have always heard turbo failure as a whine, but mine and just started making a clicking/scratching noise under low boost/when i take off, but rectifying itself higher in the revs or in 3rd+ gear. Is this actually the turbo on the way out?

try adding 50-100k to that figure for the real mileage...

Edited by ironpaw

That's pretty much the way they sound; mine made some very odd noises for a while (sounded like the BOV was leaking, then sealing) before it became extremely noisy, but still made boost (dropped a blade tip) then failed completely (dropped the rest of the blades) about 500km later.

You might want to start exploring your rebuild options before it fails completely.

try adding 50-100k to that figure for the real mileage...

Mine lasted until 105,000km but I'm pretty sure it had around 20-30,000km more in reality. There is no ironclad guarantee that the number on the odo, is the actual reading.

Cheers guys, as i bought from a dealer I may be able to get something under statutory warranty (only bought the car 4 weeks ago).

Completely understand about the ks thing, I have owned jap imports for years (s1 stag, silvia, cefiro) and they have all had "low ks" when they clearly have been wound back, but judging by the condition of this one there no way its done 150k plus, even if it had been wound back 30k, I wouldnt expect a bog stock car with under 100k on the clock to have turbo failure...shame on nissan ift his is a regular occurance.

Ha... yeah, happens all the time. Not always the kms, but blockages in the oil feed line don't help the matter and starve the turbo of oil. Its the sort of thing you should budget for when buying the car really. It was a bad design, and very restricted.

So plan would be - Scotty dump pipe, turbo rebuild with smallest highflow- whatever Dale got seems to be on the money. That will make it happy.