SAU Community

Let Me Drive Your Car

Hey guys, im 16 years old and soon turning 17 and ive loved the GTR before it was officially released, have ways kept up to date with its progress and because you have one i was wondering if you could tell me how u got it? And the servicing costs, etc because ive made it my goal to get one. And if you guys have a youtube channel link me so I can see your car :) thanks

Awesome to have a goal like this, but you'll have to do a boat load of double shifts at MacDonalds over the next 10 years to afford a new one.

So IMO, if you've done well at school, get yourself a degree in Engineering (civil/mech/elec) and focus on the Oil/Gas/Mining industry. If you work hard, by the time you're 28-30yrs old you'll be earning $180-220k+ PA - enough to buy property, have the GT-R, and put the kids thru private school..

Depending on whether Nissan keep the R35 line going, a cheap 2nd hand GT-R might be realistic sooner, but they will be 10+ years old by the time you're actually ready to buy unless mummy and daddy have $$$$$$ and will foot the bill.

Just after my 36th birthday, I bought my 2010 model new out of Western Australia (delivered to Brisbane) late last year, $138k all up, paid $100k up front (cash + trade-in) loaned the rest - could have paid the whole lot out but elected to pay out the balance on the home loan instead. Figured after spending 7 years working overseas in Hong Kong in construction, I deserved to buy myself a present for spending that long in the trenches.....

I don't have a youtube channel, but there are plenty of images of Super Silver 2010 models on google.....

Servicing is $400-$600 for minor intermediate services, $1400-$1500 for larger services like 30,000kms and 50,000kms.

Brakes are $7k+ for stockies

Tyres are $3k+ every 12,000-15,000kms (runflats too)

Edited by Wardski

As a 16 yr old, you've asked how...

a) to acquire a gem of a car

b) to take care of it

c) it performs in an audio/vid

Maintain that drive & motivation throughout your life, and the world is your oyster!

Some of your fellow students meanwhile, will be riddled with grog, weed or destructive envy; and whilst their motivation drops away, it's sad to see their dream evaporate.

You've also plucked up the courage (through your eagerness) to ask questions. I applaud you for that - when I was 16, I was too shy to do that!

Some of your fellow students meanwhile, will be riddled with grog, weed or destructive envy; and whilst their motivation drops away, it's sad to see their dream evaporate.

yeah, its very sad to see that. and sometimes perspectives on life and priority differences can really separate people.

The questions posed have a bit more of a... philosophical (lack of a better term) background than you might think. Its basically asking how should you plan/live your life really. When talking about such large sums of money, its not as simple as just 'saving' for it (as Warski pointed out). Sacrifices have to be made. And more than just monetary sacrifices. Lifestyle, hobbies, possible passions, other goals in life, even general happiness. A lot of people are interested in putting little effort into their education and end up being happier than some that do. In my profession, I meet a lot of young engineers who couldnt give a shit about their job or their work (and end up being useless for a long time) but only care about the paycheck and title. sorry, getting off-topic.

I loved Porsche's for a loooong time when I was younger. Would have given up a lot to have one to look after, but once I had a steady income, things like insurance, running/maintenance costs, wankery image, storage and purist community are major put-offs. But most of all, I didnt have the patience to save and get one. I wanted to get out and have fun now while young and tick the car box off before I commit to something like a family or even a mortgage. So glad i did, because I found a passion in cheaper, smaller, efficient cars that are a heap of fun and the money you save on expensive cars, get to unload into a car that can be a lot more focused on what YOU want from a car. and not have to worry about keeping it in a glass cage or destroying it.

just my 2c.

[/rant]

Edited by Leroy Peterson

runout model price vs new car rrp

Bang on Domino. Mine is an August build 2010, which I purchased in Dec 2011. It had been complianced and unregistered sitting on the showroom floor with 33kms on the clock, from Nov 2010 to when I bought it.. Magic Nissan wanted it gone to make way for a 2012, and at the time I was contemplating a 2011, but at that price I had to say YES.

It had not been registered or plated until I bought it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been on the track or driven a few times around the block with trade plates on it, but all I can say is that the tyres were new and she's a beauty, and was totally immaculate when it arrived at my door :D

Edited by Wardski

Thanks guys really appreciate it, I believe im a good student and i get steady A's and B's in my subjects. Im not striving to get the car ASAP but for me this car is more than a car, it is a DREAM and its a dream which ill strive to achieve and hopefully get. I'd rather work hard for things I want rather than have it given to me. < Not that'd id complain haha but I will get one.... eventually. :)

Thanks guys really appreciate it, I believe im a good student and i get steady A's and B's in my subjects. Im not striving to get the car ASAP but for me this car is more than a car, it is a DREAM and its a dream which ill strive to achieve and hopefully get. I'd rather work hard for things I want rather than have it given to me. < Not that'd id complain haha but I will get one.... eventually. :)

GL mate. All good things come to those who work hard. :)

Bang on Domino. Mine is an August build 2010, which I purchased in Dec 2011. It had been complianced and unregistered sitting on the showroom floor with 33kms on the clock, from Nov 2010 to when I bought it.. Magic Nissan wanted it gone to make way for a 2012, and at the time I was contemplating a 2011, but at that price I had to say YES.

It had not been registered or plated until I bought it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been on the track or driven a few times around the block with trade plates on it, but all I can say is that the tyres were new and she's a beauty, and was totally immaculate when it arrived at my door :D

That's a great price you got it for considering it only had 33kms. On cars sales they are selling 2010 models for a similar price but with minimum 10,000km's.

• 4 weeks later...

Well mate you're already ahead of 99% of people in this world (including me when I was 16) because you know what you want and have a clear goal. Agree with the other poster stay away from booze & drugs as much as possible . If you want to be successful hang with like minded people . All the cars I've owned I get loans (lease) thru my company which is a tax deduction , when the balloon is due i pay it out or trade it. Have had my own business for 14 years now , wasted a lot of my early years doing what I'm telling you not to do lol. I went to uni but some of the worlds richest people are uni or high school dropouts . a nice car is a good and achievable motivator , no matter what path you choose if you're good at what you do the GTR's will follow. Keep up that attitude and you'll have your dream sooner then you think...

You're young, enjoy life at an age you'll never have again and don't think *too hard* about the future - create some nice memories that a big piece of metal can't replace; enjoy the years it can't give you back. By the time you can afford one, you'll have changed your mind five times over about what you want and what you want to do with your life. But the car will come one day if you still want it - either way, work hard and play hard...both are necessary for an ongoing and happy life :thumbsup:

You're young, enjoy life at an age you'll never have again and don't think *too hard* about the future - create some nice memories that a big piece of metal can't replace; enjoy the years it can't give you back. By the time you can afford one, you'll have changed your mind five times over about what you want and what you want to do with your life. But the car will come one day if you still want it - either way, work hard and play hard...both are necessary for an ongoing and happy life :thumbsup:

So very true, i always wanted to be an astronaut when i was a child but i settled for selling cars..

• 3 weeks later...

Get into a field you're passionate about - work hard to progress yourself to higher levels and anything is possible. I don't have a gtr but I'll tell you about how I'm going about working towards my dream car. Finished uni, got lucky and managed to land myself a job as a medical scientist 2 years ago working for the government. Pay is average at the moment but I've worked hard to get into a very specific field I know can earn me big bucks in a few years time. The car I've always wanted is a porshe 911 and although currently I'm saving for a wedding I do plan on saving for a few years after to buy my dream car which I plan on keeping for a long time - and it's this motivation I have that's helping me acheive higher goals. PS I'm in my mid 20's - in a management position and have already managed to own cars I always wanted growing up (wrx's, s15's, s2000, v35) and now obviously its the 911 :D

Probs could have got my dream car a lot earlier if I went the engineer route, but can't stand math! ;P

Good luck mate - always remember not matter what you do, work hard and anything is possible!