SAU Community

Cutting down the standard gear stick.

Heya guys..I wanna cut down the standard R33 gear stick cos I think it's too long, and it looks outta place in the Skyline, but I noticed that the gear stick itself tapers out, making it hard to get the gear knob back on.

Anyone had any luck chopping theirs?

Mark

Thats the most awful thing I have ever heard... in fact, I think my ears are bleeding!

Dont be dodgy! Buy a short shifter (slightly shorter length) or put up with it!

grrrrrrr :hellpisd:

Christian

The reason I asked Prank, is cos I asked someone if the short shift kits were just a "shorter throw" or if the actual gear stick was also shorter and he said "only the throw is shorter, the gear stick is the same length".

BE WARNED!!!

To all dont try cutting down the std gearstick as its hollow and filled with rubber, you will end up with two pieces and not much else!Also i would not recommend using a short shifter as you will lunch the gearbox as i did in my 96 ser II.not being a harsh driver it came as a big surprise that my box was f----d and needed a complete rebuild.So please all be warned.

Regards,

SKYLINE.....(KYM)

To ALL,

the std gear stick is hollow and filled with a rubber type of material,hence it cannot be suscessfully cut down.Also note that using a short shifter in you box will increase your chances of lunching the syncros.Even tho i drive reasonbly hard im easy on my equipment and i thoroughly lunched the box so that it req'd a complete rebuild--- so be warned!!!

Regards,

SKYLINE...(Kym).

if you have a non GTR, upgrade to a GTR gearstick, its a tad shorter and the throw is lesser too.

Cutting a gear stick is not a big deal, don't overdo it though or you'll end up wrecking your gearbox. the shorter the distance between the tip and the fulcrum the more pressure it will exert on the gearbox when you change gears. Also since its not a short shift kit the throw will be the same, which means you'll have to move the knob slightly less than stock if you cut it.

A better idea would be to find a thread tapper of the same dimensions as the thread on your gear stick, and dirll a hole then add a thread to your gearknob (just make sure you don't com out the other side). effectively it'll shorten the height of your gearknob.

I have a mate who bought a Series II GTS and it has a cut down stick. He curses it everyday and is looking for a stock one to refit.

can i ask why?

I had a cut down gear stick which I replaced with the C's short shifter. The throw is about the say but the C's shaft is taller so it's not as "comfortable" to drive with...(yeah I'm lazy)...I reckon if I cut about 1.5-2 inches off the C's shaft it'd be close to the short throw on the MX-5.

The shaft itself is way too long, I have a MOMO tuned gear knob on there, pushed down, but still too long. I need a new shaft, but even the C's one I have seen, the throw is shorter (obviously) but the length of the shaft is way too long still.

Matts outta control.

I thought the throw on my Cs is alot shorter than the stocker. If you compare the two, the fulcrum point is moved, and the part of the stick above the pivot point is alot shorter than the stocker (about 1-2 inches from memory). This has the added advantage of meaning the throw is reduced further. It is a true quickshifter, not a shortened shifter.

Minimal movement of the hand equates to maximum result at the other end (fill your boots Matt)

BE WARNED!!!

To all dont try cutting down the std gearstick as its hollow and filled with rubber, you will end up with two pieces and not much else!Also i would not recommend using a short shifter as you will lunch the gearbox as i did in my 96 ser II.not being a harsh driver it came as a big surprise that my box was f----d and needed a complete rebuild.So please all be warned.

Regards,

SKYLINE.....(KYM)

I have a C's short shifter in my R33. I've been racing, dragging and general driving it for 2 years now and the gearbox is still fine....so don't blame the short shifter.

I'm with MarkG the throw is shorter but the lever itself is still too long

• 2 weeks later...

I've shortened the stick in mine, taken all the rubber out, making it basically a solid shaft and it is a 100% improvement on the stock one. Nice and direct and not mushy!

Many Short Shifters work by increasing the pivot point of the shaft that goes into the gearbox locator. They lengthen the shaft that goes into the gearbox. This will increase the height of the actual gear stick because you need spacers to raise the whole gear shifter so that the end of the extended shaft can fit into the gearbox locator.

It is recommeneded that you run a high quality sythetic oil, such as REDLINE MTL so that all the components can be better lubricated for easier shifts. IF you cut the standard shaft, or not making a true short shifter, as the pivot point is exactly the same . Nothing is shorter as the arc length has not changed. The end result is a notchy shifter that will break your box because you will be banging it in gear all the time.

Your car, your property, but if you value you car and want to save money in the long run, put up with the longer shifter otherwise enjoy notchy shifts and gearbox rebuilds :D

I've shortened the shifter in every car I've owned over 20 yrs without notchy shifts and gearbox rebuilds. All depends on how you treat your ride.