August Photo Thread

MaTBoY

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I was thinking about this the last few days. Thinking of a way to add more value to these monthly threads and a way to help all of us continue to improve. Just an idea, so tell me if you agree/disagree.

Over the last few months (across a few boards) the photo threads have just turned into LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!! Which isn't what they should be about. They should be about sharing not just dumping.

So my brilliant idea. Every time you drop some images in the thread it will cost you. You need to pay at least one comment to a picture already posted. You don't need to do comment on each shot, just if you see something awesome or something that you think you could help someone improve on. Saying an image is 'good/bad' doesn't count. You need say WHAT you like/dislike. If you have an idea that would improve the image or reduce what you don't like... throw it in.

VIce versa, if there's an image you really like... think about it... what is it you like? This will help your own photography more than you'd first think too. because your forcing yourself to THINK about what you're seeing.

Any thoughts? Is it a waste of time or dumb idea?

A few details from the latest silvia set:

7697379938_2275c3d078_b.jpg

7697380354_aa009f3721_b.jpg

7697381280_67f6c8d021_b.jpg

Agreed. It started out as always helping each other out/critiquing and gone to shit lately.

Anyway - ROF looks awesome! Only thing i might of done differently which you properly did in post anyway is shoop in Headlights being on.

Two from last night:

7697912182_5f9a67e3c3_b.jpg

7697902192_eb71a93c06_b.jpg

Edited by FST513

So I was thinking about this the last few days. Thinking of a way to add more value to these monthly threads and a way to help all of us continue to improve. Just an idea, so tell me if you agree/disagree.

Over the last few months (across a few boards) the photo threads have just turned into LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!! Which isn't what they should be about. They should be about sharing not just dumping.

So my brilliant idea. Every time you drop some images in the thread it will cost you. You need to pay at least one comment to a picture already posted. You don't need to do comment on each shot, just if you see something awesome or something that you think you could help someone improve on. Saying an image is 'good/bad' doesn't count. You need say WHAT you like/dislike. If you have an idea that would improve the image or reduce what you don't like... throw it in.

VIce versa, if there's an image you really like... think about it... what is it you like? This will help your own photography more than you'd first think too. because your forcing yourself to THINK about what you're seeing.

Any thoughts? Is it a waste of time or dumb idea?

A few details from the latest silvia set:

7697379938_2275c3d078_b.jpg

7697380354_aa009f3721_b.jpg

7697381280_67f6c8d021_b.jpg

To add to this, had another idea, just not so sure how it would go down with people like yourself who are doing photography professionally.

Can people add up any information about how the photo was shot, what effects were used, what equipment was used, how much editing has been done to the photo. Theres alot of photos on here that I think look amazing and would really like to know the techniques. For example if you really wanted to go in to depth you could go like this: 'Shot with Lens_____ with a ND Filter and.......

As I said, im not sure if people doing this professionally would want to share their secrets etc, but it was just an Idea. I think us amateurs could learn alot from seeing how the Pro's are doing it.

and Matt, amazing photos as always. The detail in your photos always amazes me.

Edited by 89CAL

As always super nice pic's guys!

Matty, as one of the novice guys in here I'm realistic that I know I won't have the time to develop the same skills you guys have. I just like taking the occasional photo or playing with a technique or two from time to time.

But I do agree that these threads do turn into a whole bunch of eye candy (of course that's what keeps me coming back). What about sharing some of the technique on the photos - so like that fire one for instance. I see stars which indicates you've done a long exposure without the really bright light sources, some light painting to get the top of the car showing and then of course the flame shot. I'd love to understand how you combine those in post. I know that's kind of revealing "trade secrets" but us amateurs don't want to make any money from it, we just want to be able to kind of get closer to some of the shots you guys do.

Just a comment.

Or should we start another thread - "What would make this photo better" thread for honest critique? Again, just putting it out there as the novice that loves coming in here to check out what the pro's are up to.

got some new gear and wanted to test it out, so here's two shots below! Let me know what you think.

2 flashes and modifiers, some light painting, masking in PS and adjusting curves and levels as well as sharpening and some other stuff.

7725653798_431c0819f4_o.jpg

7725654422_7c528d262e_o.jpg

Heya Pez,

Those shots have just been added on different layers in photoshop and then masked in/out where needed. it's a pretty simple process, just time consuming until you get the hang of it :)

Fire shot = 3 exposures. Longer shot for background. Fire shot. Painted car carefully to match fire. Merged layers in photoshop. Done.

I'm happy to share the basics of what gets done on most shots, some shots I'd rather keep the finer details to myself. It's not about me trying to hold out on technique though, it's more about me trying to keep my style unique. I've spent ages working around problems that everyone has but doing it in a different way to how the rest of the photo community does it in an attempt to give my work a unique style. Hell some of the stuff I do is down right retarded when compared to the easy/normal way to do stuff :P

kory, prob your best interior shots yet. well, night time ones! could use a bit more light inside though.

So i finished my first feature car set for street machine last night. I couldn't post up any shots from that so I went back to summernats shots to post a celebratory one :) I found these.

7732508138_7414f8016c_b.jpg

7732508410_53befbcae1_b.jpg

Found this too, on the way down we drove through a massive hail storm! THis is the storm front approaching.

7732508616_07381e34e2_b.jpg

Mmmmm storm fronts.

Lots more light was in there, but it looked flat and boring. So i adjusted it in curves to make sure that it had that kind of moody shadowy feel.

Next one will be different!

Hi All,

I'm new to photography but having lots of fun learning.

I have always loved photos from Matboy and Cory, their creativity is fantastic.

I remember seeing the evo with the ring of fire on flickr a few days ago and my jaw dropping on my desk at work.

Have attached some pics I took a few nights ago - my first time taking car pics at night.

Any advice from the pro's would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

img6882resized.jpg

side3smaller.jpg

img6790smaller.jpg

carlaresized.jpg

Edited by iwanta34gtr

Agree good idea matt.

I have always helped others whether its on this forum or another. If someone asks anything about my photos or business in general I always help out.<br />

Matt - First pic of the s15 with selective colouring is awesome. I hate selective colouring but that shot just works.</p>

Kory - To be honest I'm not the biggest fan of the first two shots you posted. The tilted wide shot and the model on the car. The tilted shot I would have had the 32 gtr in the middle and straighter. Perhaps you had an obstruction on your camera left so you couldn't move (im not sure)... Direct flash on the models face is not that faltering either. Once again perhaps you weren't allowed to setup an external light on a light stand etc.. Or didnt have a helper around.

A suggestion would have been to dail down the flash and use it as slight fill only. Judging by the shadows it looks like the flash was pointed straight up. Next time point the flash hard right or left. High ceiling so no point trying to bounce the flash.

Or perhaps I read the whole picture wrongly. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise your detail shots are great.

Photographed a huge Indian wedding in London two weeks ago. Incredible experience!!!

Just a henna pic.

londonst--002_resize.jpg

One of my corals sticking out of the water. Just a close up shot with a 24-70L. Ordered a macro lens so cant wait for that to arrive.

But to be honest the 24-70L is still great for close up shots.</p>

IMG_1374_resize-1.jpg</p>

From a pre-wedding shoot last week:</p>

IMG_1875_resize.jpg</p>

From a first dance:

IMG_5134_resize.jpgp><br />

Edited by siddr20

From a pre-wedding shoot last week:

IMG_1875_resize.jpg

love the rim lighting! was thinking it would look nice if it was a little more complete, but the flash would have to have been higher im guessing? only other thing id try and do different is move the horizon up or down, but probably because im so stuck in my ways in regards to composition, lol