SAU Community

Anyone Done An Rb30/26 Cost Analysis?

Shoota_77

Other thing to remember is the other bits and pieces. Clutch, Exhaust, ecu, tune, turbo/s etc. the price stacks up when the entire package is written down. i understand your talking about solely building a motor but the extras that go along with it add thousands.

How much would shipping be for that?

NZ

$60 or so? I have asked the question on the site.

Pretty much bang on in AU $$

Freight was quoted at NZ$68 so total NZ$248 or about AU$200

For those who don't know it is not just a bolt up job - there is some drilling and grinding and tapping etc required and you will need an extended oil pick-up.

I think alot of people also forget things like having to replace all the steel pressed in water fittings that come off the block. and I'm not talking about the welch plugs. All the rubber lines that are under the intake or run to the heater core that once the engine is fitted is near on impossible to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

so far up to $7000, thats approx.

also have gearbox conversion(running new box), and turbo swap(going twins to single).

so i havnt even taken them into consideration.

and im reusing parts like my oil pump, and mls head gasket.

buitl up alot quicker than i thought it would.

hope its worth it.

its going to add up alot more than you think, just for first glace at your list, u will need 2 sets of those arp stud kits for ur mains, as they are sold for SR20s and u will require 2 packs to do your motor.

sr20 main stud kit is different to the rb, sr20 msk part number 202-5402

The rb25/26/30 all use the same main stud kit part number 202-5214

You're reusing the head gasket? For the 450 for a new one I'd rather not pull the head back off

multi layer steel.

half the reason for these head gaskets is so you can reuse them.

• 2 months later...

Spent $14K on mine, that was an A8 block and 26 head from a 32. That also included labour and machining costs.

Basic run down of what was done, can't remember every detail as it was a few years ago now...

Work was done to the crank (colar, grub screwed and balanced)

Shot peening and linishing the rods (I was only after mid 300's anyway)

ACL bearings

ARP studs

oil gallery restrictors

tensioner, belt, etc

forged pistons

HKS gaskets allround

head cleaned

Can't remember the exact combination but it included a slight decking of the block and we ended up with an 8.8:1 static compression (quite good for a 26/30).

Now it is just a boat anchor in my shed sitting on an engine stand, never been started :(

I will never get back what I spent building it

Edited by NXGriffo

Spent $14K on mine, that was an A8 block and 26 head from a 32. That also included labour and machining costs.

Basic run down of what was done, can't remember every detail as it was a few years ago now...

Work was done to the crank (colar, grub screwed and balanced)

Shot peening and linishing the rods (I was only after mid 300's anyway)

ACL bearings

ARP studs

oil gallery restrictors

tensioner, belt, etc

forged pistons

HKS gaskets allround

head cleaned

Can't remember the exact combination but it included a slight decking of the block and we ended up with an 8.8:1 static compression (quite good for a 26/30).

Now it is just a boat anchor in my shed sitting on an engine stand, never been started :(

I will never get back what I spent building it

How come u never put it in the car?

A few reasons really. Basically I ran out of money for the project, over capitalisation on the engine...Then the wife fell pregnant and any cent I wanted to spend on the car turned into an argument so I got rid of the car (R31 rolling shell).

We saved up and bought a house and now she is pregnant again. On top of all of this, I'm trying to get a business off the ground at the moment so money is just spread too thin

This thread actually prompted me to advertise the engine to clear up some space in the shed and a deposit on bits and pieces for my bathroom. If you're interested I'm selling at less than half of what it cost me:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/417541-rb2630-long-motor/page__fromsearch__1

• 1 month later...

Reflecting back to when I first asked the question about how much it would all cost to do the conversion, I wish I was right!

While my engine is still a work in progress this is pretty much where I'm at currently. Bear in mind that a lot of the stuff is performance stuff that isn't necessarily a part of the rebuild but stuff that I would have done if it was an RB26 or RB30 rebuild or even just upgrades on an existing engine. There are definately cheaper ways to do it but this is my way! I know it will be all done properly and no short cuts have been taken..

Thank god I don't have labour costs on top of this as that would just blow it way out.

RB30 Engine/machining $2,800
Pistons $1,100
Gapless rings $350
Head Gasket $400
Sump Adapter $1,000
Bearings $250
Rods $1,000
Gaskets $400
Hardblok filler $150

Head drain/breather $285
Head studs $250
HPI dumps $750
Vapour Blasting $250
Genuine Hoses/fittings/etc $900
Exhaust (twin 3") $850
New Head $1,100
Oversized Valves $500
Valve Springs $500
Tomei poncams $650
Valve locks $150
Engine Belts $90
Timing Belt $100
Tomei oil pump $1,500
Modify sump $900
Front diff LSD $1,000
Oil drain fittings $150
Water pump $200
New CAS $300
Coilpacks $500
Oil Cooler $300

Total $18,675

I've probably missed a few things as well.

It will no doubt top $20K by the time I'm done with tuning and oils and all the other crap that goes along with getting a new engine running.

Beware anyonew else thinking of doing the conversion!!!!! Sell a property first, that should cover it.....

Machining $500??

I paid around 1500, I didn't get the stud put it, as the spot was there.

that was block only.

I had a quote of 2800 by another shop, so best to call who you're planning to use and have a chat.

Hey Luke,

My engine is already at the machinist so the figure above ($2800) is what I'm paying.

As with most things, sometimes it's worth paying a bit more to get it done perfectly.

Hopefully it WILL be worth it!

Time will tell.

Hey Luke,

My engine is already at the machinist so the figure above ($2800) is what I'm paying.

As with most things, sometimes it's worth paying a bit more to get it done perfectly.

Hopefully it WILL be worth it!

Time will tell.

sorry mate, didnt see that due to the whole, sau resetting unread posts, thing.

im sure itll turn out great.

some charge more, some less, all that matters is the final outcome, and that youre happy with it.

im sure you will be.

im not, as i still havnt had the funds to finish mine. :(