SAU Community

Bc Br Coilovers On R34 Gtt

R1maniac

I really need coilovers and I've narrowed down to BC BR Coilovers from JustJap... Has anyone else got this on an R34 GTT?

I'm concerned about the ride quality as I do a lot of highway driving. Also Im looking at a camber kit later on. Is this suitable with the BC BR coilovers?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate,

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for coilovers. The BC ones look good, but was also going to ask if anyone has had any experience with the YSR Coilovers? http://www.yellowspeed.com.au/

They look like a decent unit, and can adjust the preload separately to the ride height, which is a big one for me. Also look to be fully rebuildable by an Australian company, which also interests me.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers,

Shazza

The YSR ones seem to be very stiff. Like 12/8 rates. The BC ones are typically 8/6.

You can ask them to change the springs out when you order I believe. But you're right, they do seem to come with excessively harsh spring rates.

Not sure about the spring rates. The car is basically my daily driver but I do have plans to take it the drags soon.

Didnt look at YSR mate. Heard good reviews about the BC ones and at $1140 its a good deal I reckon.

http://www.justjap.c...623&cat=&page=8

If its a daily driver, from reading what others have done, it seems a 8kg F / 6kg R setup is good for dailying. The BCs look like a decent unit for their price, but I have heard adverse stories relating to the longevity of their design, and the comfort of their dampers. Some people have mentioned they can tend to be quite harsh on the street.

YSRs have a 33-way Damping against BCs 30-way.

YSRs have an aluminium upper mount vs BCs Rubber Upper Mount.

YSRs have adjustable camber tops as standard (Unsure of the BC ones? They look like they have?)

YSRs are $995 vs BCs $1140.

They seem to be very similar in design. They even look similar.

Adjustable camber tops not being a selling point for Skylines though.

If I were to buy YSRs, I'd probably opt for the rubber upper anyway. Much nicer than pillowballs for noise and harshness. Hardly impacts on performance.

Edited by GTSBoy

Adjustable camber tops not being a selling point for Skylines though.

If I were to buy YSRs, I'd probably opt for the rubber upper anyway. Much nicer than pillowballs for noise and harshness. Hardly impacts on performance.

Yeah, i've always run Rubber upper myself for the noise factory. Sure, they flog out quicker, but they aren't that hard to replace. Might be a noob question, but why are the camber tops not a selling point? I'm guessing there is a better form of camber adjustment then the tops?

Cheers,

Shazza

The 8/6 BC's are on the soft side. In a 33GTST they are perfect for the road. If you are not going to do any track work, drop them down to 6/4 or something, iirc doesn't cost any extra. Just have to wait for them.

Might be a noob question, but why are the camber tops not a selling point? I'm guessing there is a better form of camber adjustment then the tops?

Whilst Skylines might have struts, they are not MacPherson struts. The Skyline suspension unit (coilover) is not a structural part of the suspension. On a Mac strut car, there is only the lower links (the control arm and radius rod) and the strut. Therefore, the location of the top of the strut is used to set the camber. Hence adjustable camber tops are required if you want to be able to change the camber at all. But Skylines have complete upper and lower arm sets at both ends of the car. You adjust camber by changing the length of any of the upper or lower arms (not that there's much adjustment stock, but adjustment can be added by putting in eccentric bushes or adjustable arms).

I had BC's in my last GTT, they were about the same stiffness as the King springs I took out of it. So not too harsh on the road at all.

They were the rubber top's

I love them & will be putting another set in my current GTT.

Should have just searched mate, this has been covered 11tybillion times. But anyway i have BC BR's in my 34, work fine, go stupid low etc. I did read through the threads and choose the BC's out of about 10 coilovers including teins, hks, and a couple of custom sets. Also spend the extra $150 and get the BR version over the cheaper one.

Should have just searched mate, this has been covered 11tybillion times. But anyway i have BC BR's in my 34, work fine, go stupid low etc. I did read through the threads and choose the BC's out of about 10 coilovers including teins, hks, and a couple of custom sets. Also spend the extra $150 and get the BR version over the cheaper one.

Don't go just jap! Also go for BC BR's

I think just jap sells them for about $1399.00

Save some dollars and go for Streettotrack.com

He has them for something like $1195.00

Delivered

IMO: 8/6 is track, 6/4 is street. I live with 8/6 but on bad roads its a bit shit.

WRT the amount of adjustments whether 30 or 33 makes no difference. Some of these cheapo coilovers the adjusters do bugger all anyways according to the shock dyno, in that many of the adjustment positions are the same level of dampening. Ie, its ricey.

+1 to BC's with rubber mount top.

The 8/6 BC's are on the soft side. In a 33GTST they are perfect for the road. If you are not going to do any track work, drop them down to 6/4 or something, iirc doesn't cost any extra. Just have to wait for them.

8/6 are on the soft side ????? Maybe for a track only car running soft compound slicks.

6/4 is definitely firm enough for street. If you think you need anymore than 6kg/mm on the front then you have some super sticky poo tyres or are a poor driver. Federal RSR will just barely utilize a 6kg/mm front spring. I'd up the sway bars a fair bit before jumping to higher springs (actually I'd bump the rear spring up to 4.5kg/mm too).