SAU Community

Bc Br Coilovers On R34 Gtt

R1maniac

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I dont know if you would call this a thread bump. My currently upgraded 290rwkw [R34GTT] is too much power for my very stiff Cusco coilovers (not sure which model, doesn't have adjustable damping) in that there is not enough grip and it starts spinning and skating on boost and makes me look like an ass. I hate these coilovers, theres very little flex when pushing the car down from the back and front.

I am wanting to spend as little coin and soften up my rears, are a pair of BC BR rear coilovers the way to go? Or just get softer matched King springs or something? Front is ok, not looking to change that. cheers Ron

Edited by rondofj

Find out what spring rates are in your coilovers before doing anything else. You need to know where you are before deciding where to go. Read the thread on how to work out your spring rates, and/or remove the springs and test them yourself.

g042J7H.jpg

Remember Ron, i have more wasps and i can get mine to grip up sometimes.... You shouldnt have any drama's once you set it up right :)

Thats right, but these Cuscos are HARD, not good man, especially since theres no damper settings, well the clutch is in so one more thing off my mind...

Just installed these on my R34 GTT. Standard spring rates (8/6). VERY comfortable and streetable on soft damper settings. Also drove them on hard all round and was very stiff, good for track. Will probably get a bit softer once they wear in.

Edited by fusion07

^^^ +1 mine are in transit, BC the CHEAP way to go

FYP :)

They are a good cheapie solution but they are in no way magic, a quality set of coilovers will do so much more than the BC will..... I run them with no complaints, but if the car becomes more track oriented then they would be one of the first changes.... They are comfy though!

hahaha yea its a small fix i guess.....i used to have some Tein's on my 33 but that was way too stiff.....

These are basically like the oem, just a little firmer with adjustable height.

I still have stock one's on the 34 so this is a nice replacement :)

• 2 months later...

All done! Set it on 6 soft setting. Seems pretty good till now for road use.

120mm at the back and 100mm at the front.

Did you set them soft 6 front n rear? I've just installed mine and it feels a bit bouncy... Any reasons to why ?

Cheers

They are a good cheapie solution but they are in no way magic, a quality set of coilovers will do so much more than the BC will..... I run them with no complaints, but if the car becomes more track oriented then they would be one of the first changes.... They are comfy though!

I've read this a few times but every time I've read this noone has really linked or suggested anything that's obviously superior, and why..

As a newbie with little-to-no info re: suspension and relying on the SAU Search tool -> What would you suggest?

I have a 34, but its a GT chassis (with a non GT engine..), which I have read uses R33 style suspension.

Yet BC BR's have different part numbers for R33 GTST and R34 GT suspension.

I presume there are differences there so R33 is not exactly the same as a R34 GT.. so searching for R33 GTST gear may not even be compatible after all.

Theres a lot to be said for "it really is 100% compatible, cheap, and does the job", what else is out there thats the next tier up?

The next tier up is much more money. Proper rebuildable racing dampers from people like DMS, using Penske, Ohlins, whatever turns you on our of the large array of very good gear out there. Spend anywhere from $1k per corner to $5k per corner.

Pretty much BC BR and anything around that price mark (1100 - 1500) will be the same (and by same i mean same factory different paint). The next step up is, as GTSBoy said, more money - but it doesn't have to be thousands per corner, you could choose the tiny step of: 1600-2500$ for Cusco, Tein, Greddy, JIC, and if you find a good deal/stretch your budget, 3k$ will get you Ohlins. Though some people would argue that Cusco Tein etc are not worth the price...and I have to say I'm only speaking out of research I've done while deciding what to do, and speaking with people who have these coilovers.

You could also consider not using coilovers and going with a spring and damper setup instead. I myself have gone down this path with Bilsteins + King springs, I'm about to get them installed this week - I will rarely, if ever, use my car on the track/drift so coilovers and constant adjustability is not an issue. Set them up once and set them up correctly, leave it.

Oh and - I've talked to a few mechanics and they ALL recommend highly HSD.

Did you set them soft 6 front n rear? I've just installed mine and it feels a bit bouncy... Any reasons to why ?

Cheers

Yeah I've set it on 6 all around and its not bouncy

• 4 weeks later...

IMO: 8/6 is track, 6/4 is street. I live with 8/6 but on bad roads its a bit shit.

WRT the amount of adjustments whether 30 or 33 makes no difference. Some of these cheapo coilovers the adjusters do bugger all anyways according to the shock dyno, in that many of the adjustment positions are the same level of dampening. Ie, its ricey.

+1 to BC's with rubber mount top.

I just talked to BC technical support.

They recommended 6/5 for 'fast street' and 8/6 for track use.

They also said only the rubber tops (RA) make sense on double wishbone.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/nissan-coilovers/nissan-skyline-r33-gts-93-98.html