SAU Community

Turbo Choices For 800Hp Rb30S.......

Ramius83

I have searched countless forums and have found many mixed results.

Searching for the fastest spooling 800hp turbo for use on an RB26/30 use street/drag car. Not looking to go to 35+ psi to obtain it, but I am willing and up to considering any of your recommendations. Previous searching shows the trusty old TO4Z should do it, but that is OLD technology. Maybe something along the PT turbos or the Borg Warners.

Engine specs.....RB30 block, usual supporting mods. RB26 head, mildly ported and cleaned up, 272 cams, 10.8 lift, 1mm over valves. Engine has been dry dumped. Full fuel system and cell.

Have a read of this thread (or maybe just the last 10 or so pages):

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/313603-precision-billet-turbos/

They are getting some good results and should have a turbo to meet your requirements. I would be looking at them if/when upgrading.

Come on a T04Z making 500rwkw on PULP is a bit generous... Will do 450rwkw on PULP but the extra 50 is asking a bit. E85 changes the rules of course

But then you are in America so you get a free 100hp from the start so our 450 would be your 500 hehe.

Shit stirring aside look at Precision, or a GT3788 seems to be another good choice of the moment. Neither should need anymore than 30psi to get what you want.

Side question here, what fuel are you looking at using? Be pushing boundaries a little getting near 30psi on pump gas.

Borg warner s300 83/75 with the larger rear housing for applications of 25psi+

I've got the smaller rear housing (.91) and I'm looking at making 650-700 hp at the engine..making over 375rwkw at 18psi atm

I would even be tempted by the S300SX with 66mm inducer for 800hp, with a 1.00A/R turbine housing.

I can't wait to see your finished result GTR_JOEY, anytime you are ready :)

Just waiting on some new beaut fuel filters then it's tune time

Won't be too long (sigh)

FFS. I was there yesterday. I could have got them and thrown them on my bill!!!!!

Come on a T04Z making 500rwkw on PULP is a bit generous... Will do 450rwkw on PULP but the extra 50 is asking a bit. E85 changes the rules of course

But then you are in America so you get a free 100hp from the start so our 450 would be your 500 hehe.

Shit stirring aside look at Precision, or a GT3788 seems to be another good choice of the moment. Neither should need anymore than 30psi to get what you want.

Side question here, what fuel are you looking at using? Be pushing boundaries a little getting near 30psi on pump gas.

I don't know why anyone would consider the old dog T04Z now. Technology has moved on since 1912.

It is funny that people scoff at T04Z, T88 being "old tech" but sure as s**t no one could tell you the actual differences or quantify how the wheel design would affect performance. I hope people take no notice of that sort of comment... no offence Piggaz, but it drives me crazy.

At least you can get a compressor map with an old T04Z!!! Maybe in another 10 years we will get a Precision one?

It is funny that people scoff at T04Z, T88 being "old tech" but sure as s**t no one could tell you the actual differences or quantify how the wheel design would affect performance. I hope people take no notice of that sort of comment... no offence Piggaz, but it drives me crazy.

At least you can get a compressor map with an old T04Z!!! Maybe in another 10 years we will get a Precision one?

Newer/better designed wheels which are lighter. How can that possibly be a bad thing?

Take a walk down the pit garages of events like WTAC and take note at how many cars are using turbo's like the Z's, T88's, T78's, T51's (prob a bit big but the point still stands). I think I saw one Z one the bayside R34 that was built by CRD. If they were the 'bomb diggity', then wouldn't more people be using them? ALOT of the cars there were using Precisons. Hell, in the first garage there were two!

-GTX Garrets

-CEA Precisions

-EFR BW's

These have all been released in what, the last 2 years?

All I was saying is that there are turbo's out there that have had some R&D in the last 5 years. You can't deny turbo tech (esp singles) have really come along way in the last 5 and especially 2-3 years.

Fact is - they are old tech.

When you see results showing a turbo coming on (for example) 300rpm sooner, making more power at the same boost level when compared against older designs - does one really need to know the intricate details of how the angle/trim of a blade, or how many blades, might improve performance? Of course not.

Most people simply don't care about the fact that "no one could tell you the actual differences or quantify how the wheel design would affect performance".

Take the GTX series. Resuts in the GTX3X frame have been average at best when you go looking at the actual results despite the "improved wheel designs for flow/response" and all that yabber that went on - for most people at the end of they day people are by & large better off with the cheaper GT3X in most circumstance despite such improvements.

Or look @ BW as another example:

All EFR turbochargers use Extended Tip Forged Milled Compressor Wheels ***AKA Billet Compressor Wheels*** The six EFR compressor wheels range from 62mm OD (~50mm inducer) to 91mm OD (~67mm inducer). These Extended Tip Technology designs are unique in that they are BorgWarner's highest-boost capable wheel designs yet still produce outstanding map width and flow capacity for efficiency at all boost levels and engine types. EFR compressor wheels are manufactured from forged aluminum for maximum strength and light weight, then CNC machined on a 6-axis CNC Mill. The blade geometry utilizes State-of-the-Art aerodynamics that delivers efficiency, boost capability and surge limits beyond any turbo we have ever seen. The forging strength exceeds that of typical aluminum billet bar-stock and also exceeds the material properties of an aluminum lost-wax compressor wheel casting. These compressors define "top shelf" in terms of strength, efficiency, range/width, and of course pressure ratio (boost) capability.

^ It's really amazing and great companies are putting so much into it. Sounds like a great product and those improvements will certainly help performance. Credit BW for designing something that should perform better than previous products.

Pity such improvements were useless whilst shafts were bending & cartidges were failing for over 12 months whilst people did their best to try and cover it up.

I'd place a fair bet 99% of people care more about the 2nd line than the 1st line.

Man, this has turned into a somewhat informative thread lol. I was running a Borg Warner S300sx 88/75 Turbo on my previous RB26 build, but never turned her up over 550WHP. I am unsure of the rear housing number, but I guess if I currently have a .91 or 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, I could just upgrade to the larger A/R Exhaust Housing. So this turbo is capable of over 800AWHP on an RB30? If so, that is freaking fantastic and would save me a bit of money at the moment. Am I right in my thinking here?

Man, this has turned into a somewhat informative thread lol. I was running a Borg Warner S300sx 88/75 Turbo on my previous RB26 build, but never turned her up over 550WHP. I am unsure of the rear housing number, but I guess if I currently have a .91 or 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, I could just upgrade to the larger A/R Exhaust Housing. So this turbo is capable of over 800AWHP on an RB30? If so, that is freaking fantastic and would save me a bit of money at the moment. Am I right in my thinking here?

Check the A/R you have and turn it up.

@ Piggaz... It is funny, "new billet" wheels are generally not lighter (if at all) compared to cast. Turbo tech has no relevance to singles, twins, etc I am not sure what you are eluding to.

@Nismoid... most people don't care because they are blinded by marketing or stuck with a sponership, I think that covers most on forum and Time Attack cars.

If you've already got a turbo capable of it, I reckon you'd be crazy not to try it out first just as is! :thumbsup:

If it doesn't meet your expectations, then look into other options like housing or another turbo all together.

Mate use the Borg Warner!

If you have the bigger rear housing then don't be afraid to wind some boost into it and pull some big numbers..

Actually even if it's the small housing out some boost into it and report back with results :D

Ok guys, will do. I was thinking this turbo wouldn't be able to push that amount of power to be honest. I mean, I love it, but didn't think it was possible, or at least not unless I pushed 35+ psi to it. Thanks all for your help. I'll report back in a few months when she is running and what I got it to......

• 1 month later...