SAU Community

R33 - GTR versus Modded GTS-t - which is better ?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note though with your smartarse comment about the Lada if you make this thread personal towards me I will I have it closed and you warned if not banned as I was nothing but fair and gave my honest thoughts in my first post making sure it wasn't personal at yourself or LaL

I'd like to C that :);):P first learn to read, before your fingers turn into swords - Warrior!

EDIT: Thanks ferni, but buster, it's called a sense of humor do'h with some truth to your statement! {Slaps myself on the forehead and falls back off the chair, in laughter}

Doh - B-Man's maths is a bit ordinary - $26 worth of mods - Yeah , Let me adjust the post.

And no, I haven't driven a GTR which is why the thrust of this thread is purley subjective on my part.

But I would have it a guess that a GTS-T with $26K spent on it would outperform a stock GTR at the drag strip and at the circuit - and definitely at a drift circuit. (With same driver for each event - ie a good one)

Keep the debate flowing boys.

Just to put the argument to rest once and for all: The GTR is faster than the Lada.

And to add my 2c to the thread:

I bought the R over the T - as even with big money spent on modifications, the GTST would always be a GTST and never an R. Sure it may be faster - but personally, I always wanted a GTR - a GTST, whilst being a great car - would simply never have been 'the one'.

I completely agree and understand why people buy GTRs over a GTS-t they are all valid points. And yes a GTS-t will always be a GTS-t. But that was not my original question. :)

So for those who know more then me about Stock GTRs and Modified GTS-ts - does anyone have an answer ?

$26K is a lot of modding moolah....

I suppose we should also qualify the discussion by adding $26K worth of the 'right' mods - as you could easily spend $26K on the wrong mods.

Doh - B-Man's maths is a bit ordinary - $26 worth of mods - Yeah , Let me adjust the post.

And no, I haven't driven a GTR which is why the thrust of this thread is purley subjective on my part.

But I would have it a guess that a GTS-T with $26K spent on it would outperform a stock GTR at the drag strip and at the circuit - and definitely at a drift circuit. (With same driver for each event - ie a good one)

Keep the debate flowing boys.

hey b-man your right in assuming that a modified gtst would most probably beat a stock gtr, but how many stock gtrs are out there, but as the topic goes people wanna spend 26k on modding a gtst, why would you spend the money when you can buy a modified gtr for the 26k your gonna spend on moda and the 15 your gonna buy the car for. thats 45 to buy a crazy r32 or even r33.

GTST + $26k > GTR on a drag strip.

Assuming money was spent on performance and you didn't just spend $26k on a paintjob and some stickers :)

Hell - a GTST with $5k in the right place would out perform a stock R over 400m

i think the argument is really .. a GTR is a GTR.. you can never change that. Like a Porsche is a Porsche, etc

I'd argue that nothing ever stops you putting a GTR engine in the GTS-T and that gives you the best value. If anything you're in a better position, as while the engine is out it can be fully be rebuilt for 600hp+ then you can swap it in once its finished. You'll get a few $k for your old RB25DET, etc. Then the only difference is really the exterior isn't it, and lack of semi-4WD. Then you have to get it all to the ground.. bit easier with a GTR, but not unachievable with RWD.

A lot of people make mistakes along the way going for big HP, thats generally where i guess the costs add up.

Ahhhh - I think Predator has struck something here. Modding cars - people make mistakes along the way yes - so the $26k needs to be spent wisely.

Oh and BTW - I'm really hoping this is not an argument, but a discussion.

Wreckedhead - yeah I put a budget on it - the scope is R33s not R32s. And I don't know where you can get a modded R33 GTR for 45K - well maybe zorst etc, but not the same sort of mods that you can get for $26K on top of the buy price.

I could asked the same question this way:

If you had $45K to spend on a 1995 R33 Skyline (for either Drag, Track or Drift) - would you get GTR or a modded GTS-t. Which would perform better ?

Pesonally I wouldn't get a GTS-T for Drift only, after drifting mine - Those S13/14/15 are great for that. You wanna cheap as chips car for drifting cause you know you are gonna ding it.

I think it comes down to this.

If you had UNDER $40k to spend on an R33, you'd probably buy a GTS-t and spend whatever remains of your budget modifying it.

If you had EXACTLY $40k to spend on an R33, (the price of mid-level R33 GTRs these days), and not one more cent, you'd probably buy a GTS-t and modify it.

If you had MORE than $40k to spend on an R33, you'd probably buy a GTR and modify it.

Bottom line: I don't know of any GTRs that are left standard. If you can afford a GTR, you can usually afford to modify it. And we all know how well GTRs respond to just a few simple breathing and boost mods.

But then you move into whether you want to modify it at all? Perhaps you like your cars stock? or just with a few mods like intake/exhaust/boost? In which case if you had $40k exactly you'd buy the GTR.

There are a few exceptions like Buster and B-Man who think they prefer the GTS-t over GTR at any price, but they have never owned a GTR so they can't really say for certain :)fawk.gif

Merli, Didn't you own a GTST before the GTR?

Bman, back on the topic, personally

a) if it's for drag only I would think a GTST would be better value for Money. I also thought at one stage the quickest qtr for a skyline was a gtst with a 2.5 not an RB26 with a time of low 10's (stand to be corrected)

B) If it were for track.. well I dunno coz I'm not a track person but guessing, I would go an R32 (i know it's not in your statement) however I do think that people looking for a GTST that can't budget for a R33GTR tend to swing between a R32GTR & a R33 GTST. So I'd sat R32 GTR.

c) I think the genral consensus is if someone has 45K to spend on a skyline they would opt for an R33 GTR around the mid to high 30's, and plan for some basic mods, that realistically could see you in the low 12's for an everyday driver.

Like Jamezilla, an R will always be an R... but each to his own I guess.

Rhetorical question.........

Is a Coles shopping trolley better than a Woolies one?

I don't care, I love my car, I'd like a GTR, but not at the expense of all else. I [like many ppl] have limited funds.

I guess I've answered the thread, a GTR is a GTR, its a desirable auto.

My Gtst is likely faster than a few GTR's, but it isn't a GTR, if one comes along at the right time and the right price I'd consider changing, but its not a high priority.

Just my two cents worth.

Ohh and the leading question..............it depends on what store your shopping in.

Exactly - each to their own

But which one would out perform the other ? Still no-one has answered my question (Except maybe Jamezilla) ha ha .

ha ha - No worries fellas, it's all good.

GTRs and GTS-ts are both Skylines still and both very good cars outright.

Bang for buck has got to be a GTS-t (stock)

GTRs on the other hand, if you can afford them - sound like fantiastic cars. I wish I had driven one.......

Seems to me everyone that has their GTRs are happy with them so that's all that matters.

:)

Merli, Didn't you own a GTST before the GTR?

I actually owned two R33 GTS-ts before stepping into a GTR :)

My last one made 280rwkw @ 1.2 bar with stock internals... All it needed was forged pistons and rod bolts and I could wind up the boost on that HKS GT3040 turbo and really see what she could do, but I decided to move to a GTR instead.

B-Man, you may take my GTR for a drive in about a month's time :rofl:

B-Man, you may take my GTR for a drive in about a month's time :)

I just wanted to capture that statement in-case you change your mind :rofl::O:) :) :) ha ha ha