SAU Community

What Would You Do With $100M?

xntrq

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon I'd keep $10m myself, with which I'd buy a McLaren F1 as a collectable and a couple of nice daily drivers, along with some acreage in the NSW south coast (I love the Kangaroo Valley/Kiama area) and couple of nice houses/apartments in and around Kirriilli, Watson's Bay and Manly. Then I'd pay off my parents' mortgage, give some money to some friends who need it, and set up a trust fund for my little sister so that she can pursue an arts career without having to worry about basic living expenses.

The rest, which would be somewhere in the vicinity of $70-80m at the very least, will be somehow split up between:

- giving a few mil to the stats/maths department at my old uni, and quite a bit more to the stats/maths society of Australia - they are severely underfunded and we're not going to advance as a country unless we have strong maths and stats skills going forward. the bulk the funds will probably be go towards providing future funding for R&D places and university places to do with math, stats, and physics (and maybe comp science). After all, it is not a coincidence the world's leading economies are technological powerhouses.

- term deposit, for which the interest will be used to provide university, tafe and training scholarships for young adults and kids who are talented and want to succeed but don't have the family support/income to do it. As we become increasingly like the United States, we are becoming a country where education and training is increasingly inaccessible unless you are a genius or have relatively rich parents. That's an embarrassment as a nation. Somewhere in there would be some funding for the crappier schools that can't provide top notch facilities for their students, let alone talented students.

this plan by far is the best way to enjoy what would still be considered a ridiculous amount of coin and still keep your head intact

being responsible for that much money would change you as a person forever

keep a fraction - give majority away

this plan by far is the best way to enjoy what would still be considered a ridiculous amount of coin and still keep your head intact

being responsible for that much money would change you as a person forever

Exactly. I honestly think winning such a large sum could potentially ruin lives because the winners didn't work for it and it's not an ongoing stream of income, so it would be way to easy to blow it all away and end up with nothing (although that's probably harder to do with $100m, lol). Then you've got the problem of having friends and family finding out and wanting some of your winnings and having relationships destroyed because of money. It would be difficult.

Edited by ras1983

There was a book wirthen compiled with sotries from a whole bunch of lottoe winner, How family turned on them, Jelous mates, every tom dick and harry after there money,

Ive seen first hand - My mate won the instant scratchie win for life, Litrally the day after his 18th. $75k paid once a year for the next 15 years. Not were near 100m. But stil...... Even with the first 75k pay out, Things started to go down hill, jelous mates, Drugs, Paranoid every prick if after your money ect ect

And thats another thing, ITs made very public who the winners are, jump onto instanct scratchy website, It has alist of winner and the are they are from and what store the ticket was purched at with the value of what they won.

Would i say no to any free money..... Nope... GIMME GIMME GIMME Casue lifes a flamin mongrel then your dead!

You can keep it private - there's privacy options there from memory. Given that I bought my tickets non-registered (instead of on the net, got them with cash at a newsagent), if I went in and scanned it I'd be like NOBODY can know who I am.

Pretty sure that's an option to take.

Ray - I like your ideas, helping fund the future is a very noble cause. I'd donate money (20 mil?) to medical research; they get fark all money and struggle from year to year never knowing if they'll get a grant that will keep them in a job, when they do ~70 hours work a week trying to find cures for things.

Yeah, if you buy unregistered and you know you have the winning numbers, take it to the head office at Homebush or where ever the are now. They will keep it private if you so choose.

in all seriousness i know exactly what i'd do with 100mil and it's somethink i've been thinking about for a while now.

i would start a not for profit but not just any not for profit, instead of basing it's income on donations from private individuals like most not for profits i would start a pharmaceutical company with the goal being for the pharmaceutical company to fund a) medical research, b) medical schools, c) medical school grants (to improve their teaching efficacy and facilities), d) medical school scholarships for poeple that can't afford to go, c) give life saving drugs to people that can't afford them and lastly offer medical care to those who don't have access it.

the goal for the pharmaceutical side of the not for profit would be to offer the best quality drugs for the lowest possible price.

i believe that with this strategy i can turn that 100mil that would help several thousand people into several trillion dollars that would save billions.

i'd also like to get my skylines on the road again (nothing crazy just good street cars), a because race car, i need a new car and a trd 86 sounds good to me, house (maybe one that has its own airport for teh skidz) and once that's all done i'd really like to fulfill my dreams and design and build my own engine.

Definately invest in term deposit/high interest account. 5% savings account is what -5 million per year to live off? Forget buying outright etc, 5 mill/year would service all the mortgages/vehicle leases you'd ever need...

I'd buy an army of 100 or so R31's, then at night, I would go around and park them all together in certain places. Imagine waking up your street if filled with R31's, how awesome.

Not too sure what I'd do with the other $99 999 900 ;)

Pretty Cliché and some already mentioned bits

I would get a large house (not mansion over the top size, as they're too cold and big). Get an underground specific built garage to house every generation skyline, from the Hakasuka, all up to a full-built Mine's R35 monster. Every car would be hand picked in Japan with A Grade condition and shipped back to Aus

Next I would get all my close friends a car of their choice and pay off all their mortgages or get them a house. Take them on a holiday overseas.

How much would a track cost to develop? :) Would let SAU use it exclusively anytime and would just charge entrants to cover insurance/liability, etc. Would be non-profit

Keep the rest, live off the interest. Maybe make some property investments.

I got a syndicate ticket, so we'll see what happens :P

Lets be serious,

I would buy

-Honda NSX GT Type-R Grade 5 condition tuned to 400ps

-Nissan S13 Silvia Two Tone Grade 4.5 condition tuned to 380ps

-Nissan R32 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Black Grade 5 condition - 500ps full Autoselect response tune

-Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R MNPIII Grade 5 condition - 800ps full AutoSelect race tune

-Toyota Supra RZ 1997 Black - tuned to 650PS

-Mansion in Japan, and Mansion in Sydney somewhere....

Give some money to my family (dad, mum, sister), and buy friends a nice car....

In Australia, I would also build a racetrack (similar to Buttonwillow) exclusive for the use of myself and friends...

Then I'd invest the rest and live off the interest, and also try my best to become a professional racecar driver, and sponsor myself etc.

• Pay off my current house, parents house, sisters house
  • Buy a decent size property and build a 2 story house and a massive garage
  • Property investment
  • Split up $10mil and give it to numerous charities
  • Shout some close mates a few things
  • A few nice cars in the garage would be nice as well

I'd still work, I like my current job. I just wont have to bust my ass trying to pay everything off

Buy houses, live off rent

This guy knows...

So many people don't realize that the age old "I'm going to retire when I win" will make you miserable.

Imagine sitting at home 24x7 and not getting to see your friends/family as they're all off working.

And THEN, you decide you will go away as you're bored, well you'll be on your own in the end on holidays unless you plan to support your friends/family for life as they won't be able to get unlimited time off work and come back when they want.

Secondly, already have mine planned out, quite similar to Brett, and the only people who know are my mum, sister and father as they'd each get a million or two to set themselves up for the rest of their life to live comfortably.

Otherwise I've bought a lot of houses, on very short term loans, so that I can capitalize on negative gearing.