SAU Community

Transgo And The Track

hey mate just a quick noob question,

when I jacked my car up on a hoist, and in N, the rear right wheel spins by itself, if I put my hand to it and hold it still, the rear left wheel starts spinning,

what sort of diff do I have?

cheers

Open diff (single spinner).

I can tell you're doing this with the car on though - if you turn the car off, in D, grab a wheel and spin it - the wheel on the other side will spin the opposite way.

On an LSD, if you do this, both wheels will turn the same direction.

Another more enjoyable test is to go on a patch of gravel, reef the wheel to full lock and stomp on it – an open diff will spin the inside wheel and you'll move forwards in a slow circle - an LSD will spin both and start whipping you round hehe.

Edited by SMOKEYC34

There is no adjustment as far as I know, they will probably need to take the shims out from behind the line pressure spring in the valve body.

Perhaps a slightly thicker transmission fluid may help slow the clutch actuation down?

its just second that needs reducing. third and fourth feel pretty much unmodified

I've had cars with open, viscous, 2 way and helical lsds and I'd say the best all rounder is the helical

Nothing puts hairs on your chest like going around a large roundabout in the wet with a nice tight 2 way :P

Lol. Wait until you do that in a car with a 'lokka' diff. Mate had one, they're like a button clutch - their either on (full locked diff) or off (open single) - its just not very predictable as to when the switch takes place - you can be going brought a bend, put in a tiny bit of power and all of a sudden you're in full locked mode and you're looking out the side window. Awesome or straight line work though.

Sorry for o/t.

Who in melb is best recommended for the trans go?

I was sure I had found something about the diff specs of different V35 cars a couple years back. I know that the old diff in my car was crap and constantly peg legged at the drags/lit up the inside wheel when going around a corner at the track

If you can find an auto v35 that can throw down 2 black lines at the same time with the stock diff ill take my hat off to it who knows maybe a factory option, either way viscous sucks balls

I get em on the hoist all the time.....both wheels spinning in the same direction to me means a LSD. I've done many a launch with the traction control off and they always light up both.

Spool for the win but its a pain on the street.

Edited by Jetwreck