SAU Community

Nsw And Vic Time Attack Event

boxheadmr

Anyone else entering at Winton this weekend?

I haven't got the car ready in time, wiring has taken longer then expected and after a few massive weeks getting everything else mostly done I couldn't get it done.

Really disappointed as was looking forward to the long weekend of time attack, hope it goes well for everyone.

Well "Street Attack" was the class to be in, with a heap of people pulling out or not even signing up for whatever reason (too soft most likely) in "Super Club".

"Street Attack" was pretty well Nissan vs Mitsubishi. Good mix of cars, 32's, 33's, s14, s15's, Evo's 8-10.

The format for the weekend was far too slow, but they realised that late on Sunday. So I hope that follows on for the NSW round.

(It was yei oldie style 10 minute break between groups and long lunch break).

But it did make the day a whole lot more social and I got to speak to way more people than I normally do and we had a heap of time to work on the car, so from that point of view the slowness helped. But I think there is a happy medium in there somewhere. From a spectators point of view, it was boring. But then again TA isn't the best spectator sport out there.

I personally was battling with Evo's in the time-sheets all weekend. With r-spec tyres in "Street Attack" for this round only and me never using them before, it was a learning experience. I dropped 4 seconds off my s-spec tyre (AD08) time with r-specs (a050 medium), which I didn't expect.

We had to make a heap of changes to the suspension set-up to get everything working well, still more tuning to go. But by the 3rd session on Sunday we had things pretty well under control. The Winton surface goes off after 1PM, times are never good again until after 3:30 once things cool down. But on Sunday they ran the 1 Lap shoot-out instead of the last full session, so I didn't get a chance to put another session on.

I really like the 1 Lap though, all the pressure for one lap. Was great and I hope to see it run again at NSW round.

Came third with a 1.32.3, great to catch up with a bunch of SAU members both driving a spectating.

Winning time was a 1.31.1 I think from the RTR Evo X.

Benny and BYP got a 1.26 in the DC2, taking the overall event out.

There are a bunch of photo's linked the FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vic-Time-Attack/313012555473882?fref=ts

Great bunch of guys/girls and cars there. but yeah they really need to work on the format. getting 4 sessions per day when there are less than 30 cars is pretty ordinary.

Personally I would have preferred 15min sessions, and run once an hour rather than waiting 90mins between runs. That was just silly.

"Street Class" (for the 3 or 4 street legal cars actually in it :) ) was hotly contested. Richo, congrats+++ on the time mate... you came out of nowhere, having run high 33s on Saturday and I thought it was going to be an Evo clean sweep for 1st->5th pretty much.

Then BOOM out comes a low 32.

My optimum lap time was pretty similar to your best, but I simply couldn't string a good enough lap together, always managing to fluff up a corner somewhere.

But massive respect for the way you piloted that thing around on the limit with RWD.

I was shooting for low 32s but couldn't get there, finishing up with a 32.9 in the end. Still, not too shabby for a 1600kg+ car :)

Was a fun weekend though, minimal traffic and the weather was perfect.

Next bout will be on street tyres which will even things out a bit I guess.

Yeh, we though this was close. The s-spec tyres are going to make things mega close!

My optimal was a low 31.

I actually think most people on street adhered to the rules, there were a couple of things that didn't meet the rules to the letter I suppose.

What tyres were you running on the day? Did you drive home on those?

Yep i drove it up there, drove it in to Benalla Sat night, and drove it home Sunday evening.

can't get much more "street" that that :)

Was running Hankook Z221 265 18s. hards initially and then softs. car was sooo not dialled in for softs, i seemed to slide a lot; just couldn't get them to hook up nicely

I think the A050s felt better to be honest (medium compound)

Drove up and raced on the Hards as with 2 people and all the seats in, 6 jerries of E85, i didn't have room for more wheels. and i wanted to bring the trusty Hards with me in case i sucked on the soft tyres.

Yeah the street class guys were pretty good in terms of rules. it's not like they would have enforced anything anyway.... the odd front splitter might have protruded more than 50mm, and the odd car might have been slightly underweight, but honestly it's not going to change the results at all.

Is there a link to the regs for street class. A street class that can run semis is appealing to me

World Time Attack regs, but Street Attack aka Club Spring on r-specs.

Yep i drove it up there, drove it in to Benalla Sat night, and drove it home Sunday evening.

can't get much more "street" that that :)

Was running Hankook Z221 265 18s. hards initially and then softs. car was sooo not dialled in for softs, i seemed to slide a lot; just couldn't get them to hook up nicely

I think the A050s felt better to be honest (medium compound)

Drove up and raced on the Hards as with 2 people and all the seats in, 6 jerries of E85, i didn't have room for more wheels. and i wanted to bring the trusty Hards with me in case i sucked on the soft tyres.

Yeah the street class guys were pretty good in terms of rules. it's not like they would have enforced anything anyway.... the odd front splitter might have protruded more than 50mm, and the odd car might have been slightly underweight, but honestly it's not going to change the results at all.

I normally drive as well on Street Tyres. But can't carry enough E85 for two days at Winton.

I've only ever used the A050 Mediums and they are rad!

Cool. So my car would fit with street. All of a sudden interested in running at Wakefield:) ... lol and finishing behind you :)

Yeh you could of, they have changed it back to full WTAC rules though. So have to run a s-spec for Wakefield.