SAU Community

An Alternative Ecu Choice Worth Considering.

Guilt-Toy

Do they have closed loop narrowband/wideband control? Individual cylinder trims? Variable ignition attack/decel rates? Delta idle ignition control? Im also guessing they only have 4 saturated injector outputs - considering your running wastedspark on a 6cyl? Variable cam control?What's the trigger filtering like when using inductive style triggers?

I'm scepticle they will completely solve your ignition issues with just a change of trigger disk on those few cars that do have issues...

Hi Rob, some answers to your questions:

Do they have closed loop narrowband/wideband control? - Yes, RS232 input for wideband from Innovate, Techedge, FJO, AEM & M&W so it won't inappropriately go into closed loop during sensor warmup or a sensor error condition as the sensor state is defined in the serial datastream. The ECU will fallback to a sensor connected to the analogue input in the case of a wideband error condition given you have a second sensor configured (eg OEM narrowband sensor in vehcile full time to run closed loop and come dyno time simply connect RS232 cable to have wideband logging and adaptive tuning available in the ECU, no software change needed just plug it in to tune, unplug when finished and it'll go back to using the analogue narrowband one automatically).

Individual cylinder trims? - Not yet, but this is planned to be available in the next major firmware update. The firmware release cycle is fairly swift from my experience.

Variable ignition attack/decel rates? - No

Delta idle ignition control - Yes

Im also guessing they only have 4 saturated injector outputs - 4 outputs yes, but they're peak and hold drivers adjustable from 0.9A - 1.9A holding current, peak current 4x holding current for ~1ms from memory.

Variable cam control? - Yes, you can control either inlet + exhaust independently with programmable PID gains for different engine rpms to account for the control characteristics changing with oil pressure, or 2 x cams from the same target map. VVT maps are either 2 or 3D at discretion of the tuner. The select range only has 3 PWM capable outputs so doing a quad cam VVT engine is outside the scope of this ECU, but not its big brother the e1280s.

What's the trigger filtering like when using inductive style triggers? - There is nothing definable in software like available on the Motec M series ECU's from firmware 3.x onwards. On the inductive triggered engines I've done, provided you don't have ground loops in your wiring or anything silly with RFI I've not had problems.

I'm scepticle they will completely solve your ignition issues with just a change of trigger disk on those few cars that do have issues... - It's good to be sceptical, too many people believe what they are told without checking the facts for themselves. I think you may have misread what Anthony said, in his experience he hasn't had to change trigger discs to fix triggering problems with the Nissan CAS using the Select ECU as has been the case with others.

They're worth having a play with if you get the time or opportunity. Download the software and have a look, it's clear from your questions you obviously know your way around engine managment systems :)

Edited by Impul_GT-R

its funny you guys asking all these questions, as it just brings out more stuff that impressed me about the ecu, Peak and hold drivers available even on the basic ecu! and it can even run 6 cyl with low ohm injectors when they are paired where others struggle to do this. The haltech sprint 500 does not support peak and hold you have to go to the PS1000, which is in a completly different price range, the Links do not have peak and hold either, you need to go to a Vipec V44, and to run paired injectors you need to run the V88.

I have not used the closed loop yet, but i do have a tech edge in my car, and i was also impressed when i found out the adaptronic guy programmed the software, just a dropdown box and select tech edge and bang off you go. Just too lazy to do this because when cruising the thing is so stable I just never bothered to set it up like i did on my r33 / r32 skyline.

might be putting the 350z on the dyno tonight, but got a few customers cars in for tuning. If i have some time i will make a video and a log file, and save them into a zip and can email it out to anyone who wants to check out the software / logging.

i cannot upload the tune files on the forums, it only accepts pictures :(

I hope they are working on modern ecu replacements, targeting their market at 20 yr old cars with multiple plugin options seems... pointless in a business sense. Good to see they are doing an RX8 ecu, but piggyback?

Adaptronic seem very approachable, perhaps there is hope for the humble M35 Stagea yet. I will have to make some enquiries.

i am pretty sure (could be wrong though) that the plugin version of the rx8 ecu was the first revision, and that they were working on a full replacement version, it might be even available now? id ask on the forums if you really need to know

Hi Rob, some answers to your questions:

I'm scepticle they will completely solve your ignition issues with just a change of trigger disk on those few cars that do have issues... - It's good to be sceptical, too many people believe what they are told without checking the facts for themselves. I think you may have misread what Anthony said, in his experience he hasn't had to change trigger discs to fix triggering problems with the Nissan CAS using the Select ECU as has been the case with others.

They're worth having a play with if you get the time or opportunity. Download the software and have a look, it's clear from your questions you obviously know your way around engine managment systems :)

Yes this is correct, I have not had to use a trigger disk with the Adaptronic yet, my R32 GTST with a cammed rb30det has a Vi-pec plug in, and i had to use a trigger disc to get it to rev over 6300rpm :(

It would be a awesome test to go back to the 360 optical disc and replicate the issue then install the adaptronic to see if it really is immune ??? it would seriously impress me if did fix the issue because when you think about, to read a slot every 1 deg at 6500 you need to have some awesome wiring and fast ecu to keep up with it all, especially with a long belted rb30 with cams etc etc???

I don't think i can do this because it would take too much time right now, and I don't want to remove the ecu from my street car, its running too good to change it.

Another cool thing i loved about the latest beta firmware, when i upgraded my injectors on the 350z to Injector Dynamics 1000cc, there was a dropdown box, select ID1000 and off you go! I did not even have to re-tune the car from the old injectors! the injector settings in the software did everything for me.

Definitely awesome ecu's for the price and we tune on average one a week, they are big step up over the old stuff. We have generally stopped tuning the E420c ecu's as they are constant causes of grief (got to a point we were retuning alot of the dealer cars) though so stick to the plug and play versions.

Happily made over 450rwkw with the basic plug in select ecu on numerous occasions, every now and again we get one that doesn't want to play ball idle wise but its maybe 1 in 20 and more often than not its a car issue not an ecu problem..

My Rx7 tuner last year couldn't stop talking about this system and how advance it was, I think this will defianly sway me towards the Adaptronic for my ecu choice for my 32 gtr.

Its no more advanced than any other ecu just cheaper, there are still plenty of things which need sorting function wise (logging, input output allocations, interface is still very basic and cumbersome especially temp compensations etc) but if you only have a sub 1200 budget for an ecu it gives you a whole lot of features for little money.

i would rank them definitely in the top 5 ecus as a plug and play solution for RB's.

Its no more advanced than any other ecu just cheaper, there are still plenty of things which need sorting function wise (logging, input output allocations, interface is still very basic and cumbersome especially temp compensations etc) but if you only have a sub 1200 budget for an ecu it gives you a whole lot of features for little money.

i would rank them definitely in the top 5 ecus as a plug and play solution for RB's.

He would compare some of its functions to ones of a Motec, I'm not ecu wiz by any means, but if I remember correctly he was talking about how on other ecu's they inject fuel into every cyclinder based off only one of the cylinders cycle instead of each individuals pistions position, whilst the Adaptronic does each one individually.... please correct if im wrong, I'm going to be buying an ecu very soon and would be looking at this or a Link

He would compare some of its functions to ones of a Motec, I'm not ecu wiz by any means, but if I remember correctly he was talking about how on other ecu's they inject fuel into every cyclinder based off only one of the cylinders cycle instead of each individuals pistions position, whilst the Adaptronic does each one individually.... please correct if im wrong, I'm going to be buying an ecu very soon and would be looking at this or a Link

TBH its not even in the same league as a motec or autronic but its 1/3 of the price.

That sounds fair, but if you had the choice between a plug in select adaptronic and a link g4 plug in what would you choose and why

the link and haltech are more versatile especially with input output controls and allocations. I love Link but TBH haltech has the match atm, the advantage of VE tuning over the LINK has me going that way more often now.... and the haltech flex sensor is small and cheap.

I would go in this order for Flex.

Haltech

Link

Adaptronic

If budget was my main concern it would be

Haltech

Adapronic

Link

TBH its not even in the same league as a motec or autronic but its 1/3 of the price.

IMO it tunes better then a motec, and just as good as a autronic.

yes the price is what makes this ecu so impressive, the basic is less then $1000.

Tuned another 400plus RWKW adaptronic today. No issues with it even up to 26psi on std RB25 with only forged pistons.

Anthony yes i agree they are easier to tune and quicker to tune but that is not necessary better in all cases, but would be for average joe.

Put simply i say to customers if your after a plug and play ecu equivalent to PFC then go Adaptronic it offers far more features for less money or the same money as a second hand PFC, if your after something to do flex tuning etc then go haltech or LINK.

Ive done a Flex fuel plus LPG Adaptronic setup (so pump 98, e85 and liguid injection all on the one ecu) and it works fine but definitely struggled due to the basic input output setups available within the software.

post-34927-0-54872600-1361943900_thumb.jpg

Status what would be your top 5 ranked ecu's 1st to 5th for tuning rb engines. I have a vipec plug in that I couldnt be happier with myself. I almost went adaptronic though as everyone says there for the money.

Ok im posting this here for the good of the community and because I cant remember my password for adaptronic forums :P

I want to wire in a switch for dual map switching and also I may as well wire in my wideband should I choose to run closed loop op later..

now there is a variety of inputs here and im not sure which ones to use as i only have an 8 pin connector for the bottom plugs atm..

also except for digital inputs 6-7-8.. none of the titles in the ecu seem to match the ones in Wari..

75561_10151522103501499_23826224_n_zps24diwari_zps384c81de.png

Can anybody help me join the dots here ??

also if i wish to control (switch on/off) my boost solenoid via a relay when i switch maps do i choose active high which is powered and run my relay there..?

diwar1_zpsd6eac0a2.png