SAU Community

March Challenge - Bench Press

Birds

Charlie, who ever taught you how to bench should be shot, bar is waaaaaaaaay to high up your chest, nipple is what you should be aiming for

I'm going to treat the video of Leigh as a joke, I'm sure it is, looks like most dont get it though, good one birds. Is he going to have a crack at bench press?

Aside from Revs, the form displayed in all these videos is horrendous.

I thought you guys would nail bench press.

Also, make sure the guy filming is in a spot where you can see the full range of motion of the bar, none of Leighs touched and all of Birds looked high

Charlie, feel free to come in for one free session and I'll fix your form, on every lift, there is a reason why youre not very strong, youre not lifting correctly.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of girls train here Charlie, its not an intimidating place. The girls I have here are not super women, but they are very strong

Nina benched 60kg x 15

Sussy benched 60kg x 11

Nina weighs 58kg and Sussy is 57kg

When I say benched, not like what Leigh and Birds did, proper bench

Here is recent vid of Sussy benching 65kg x 7 at 57kg bodyweight

I would film them doing 50% of bw but I can only do 10 minute uploads

What have you got to lose Charlie?

Charlie, who ever taught you how to bench should be shot, bar is waaaaaaaaay to high up your chest, nipple is what you should be aiming for

I'm going to treat the video of Leigh as a joke, I'm sure it is, looks like most dont get it though, good one birds. Is he going to have a crack at bench press?

Aside from Revs, the form displayed in all these videos is horrendous.

I thought you guys would nail bench press.

Also, make sure the guy filming is in a spot where you can see the full range of motion of the bar, none of Leighs touched and all of Birds looked high

Charlie, feel free to come in for one free session and I'll fix your form, on every lift, there is a reason why youre not very strong, youre not lifting correctly.

Overreaction much? Relax markos, I already addressed most of the things you're whinging about. These were our our first attempts at this comp and it was more about getting some videos up...which I'm glad to see...because aside from rev, we've had nothing from anyone else yet. I briefed Charlie on her form after seeing her video, suggesting thay she use 45 degree elbows to place the bar further down the chest, allowing her to lift more and avoid shoulder injuries...so I don't disagree with that. But mate, there are nicer ways to offer advice...we're not lifting in your gym.

Are you guys taking the piss?

I only commented because Birds said " this was good form" on Charlies Video

On Leighs one he said a couple of reps didnt touch

Is that a joke, we stopped at the first 10, none of them touched

Leigh, grow some balls, dont come here because you cant take criticism? Your going to have a shit life

I get it youre a novice, everyone is once, but if I had taught you to drive with your back facing the road would you find it acceptable?

Its just as easy to learn the right way as it is the wrong way. Youve been shown the wrong way, are you sure you should be pissed at me.

Others have mentioned to me things that are clearly wrong, but no one comes on here to say anything. WTF.

If no comment was made in regards to you not touching a couple of reps or Charlies form not being good, I wouldnt have said a word

Tolga, feel free to comment mate lol

We're not saying your criticism or advice isn't appreciated markos, just no need to be a dick about it. Not everyone likes being talked to in such a condescending manner.

I think Markos is just saying it how it is. No bullshit. What he has said is the truth ultimately.

People shouldn't get offended by it, they should stop, think about what's been pointed out by someone with as much knowledge and experience as markos and do something to fix it.

He is only looking out for the people in question and no doubt probably more as more videos are posted.

Free correct advice is good advice, most people have to pay for it.

Edited by jangles

Hmmm well that escalated quickly.

Markos this was my second bench after 6 weeks break from chest. I knew my form would be off so I kept it well within my range to avoid injury. I just wanted to actually get the video done so that I got the ball rolling, hence receiving feedback and improving my form as this will do. But it's true that you could have been a little more graceful :/

I don't have a problem with male presence, actually I prefer it as I find most bitches crazy and the majority of my mates are guys and the whole motorbike riding thing being the only girl also in my engineering course sooo you get the point.

I never knock down free stuff though and I appreciate your effort to help my form.

Great to see thread come alive lol

I just did this and have a video. Can I send it to someone to post up as my last few attempts to post videos failed miserably!

Thanks in advance.

Geez some of you are precious.

If you don't do something properly, take it on the chin. Don't try and justify it, because you can't, and you end up looking like a dick.

If you are truly passionate about what you do as a trainer Birds, then you would strive for excellence in everything you and your clients do, because your clients will be a direct reflection of you, what you teach, and how passionate you are. Markos is passionate, which is probably why they do everything properly at his gym, and which is the reason why he gets frustrated with people who call themselves trainers yet can't tell a client to touch his chest on the bench in 5 months. Should have been sorted in the 1st session.

But hey, it's 'only' and inch, and it was 'only' 2 reps......this sort of attitude is not the striving for excellence attitude people can choose to adopt.

And i said choose, because you don't have to do the best you can at everything you do. But don't get all precious and antsy when someone tells you what you're doing is half assed. Take responsibility for you actions, it's the least you can do.

Now back to bench......lower till it touches chest(not neck ;) ), raise back to top, repeat......now let's continue :)

I didn't know Birds was a trainer.

and to be honest, I didn't watch anyones videos.

Bench means nothing to me...

we hate each other.

I hate it more than it hates me..

but it's still hate.

Just like revs pull up challenge had to be full hang for each rep, bench has to touch.

Geez some of you are precious.

If you don't do something properly, take it on the chin. Don't try and justify it, because you can't, and you end up looking like a dick.

If you are truly passionate about what you do as a trainer Birds, then you would strive for excellence in everything you and your clients do, because your clients will be a direct reflection of you, what you teach, and how passionate you are. Markos is passionate, which is probably why they do everything properly at his gym, and which is the reason why he gets frustrated with people who call themselves trainers yet can't tell a client to touch his chest on the bench in 5 months. Should have been sorted in the 1st session.

But hey, it's 'only' and inch, and it was 'only' 2 reps......this sort of attitude is not the striving for excellence attitude people can choose to adopt.

And i said choose, because you don't have to do the best you can at everything you do. But don't get all precious and antsy when someone tells you what you're doing is half assed. Take responsibility for you actions, it's the least you can do.

Now back to bench......lower till it touches chest(not neck ;) ), raise back to top, repeat......now let's continue :)

1. I'm not a personal trainer, I have no idea where this client and passion thing is coming from?

2. These people are my friends and they are happy with the results they've achieved so far, with guidance from me when I can give it. That's all that matters to us. We're happy to take criticism on board to better ourselves, but I...and most normal people...are not going to listen to anyone who talks to us like I've insulted their mother.

3. Listen to the video, you can hear me telling Leigh to go lower / touch his chest. He may do it with better form in his second video, but it's not encouraging/motivating when all he gets is payed out on in a negative manner.

4. Where did we say markos is wrong or try to justify our "wrongdoings"? Our problem is simply in his delivery and attitude...not with his actual advice. Did you note that I actually agreed with him about Charlie's form? I'm very open to criticism and have taken much of it on board from people like rev and Nick, who I feel are much better at delivering it...in a no bullshit manner...but with a bit of common courtesy.

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on it, as this is stalemate and not benefitting the comp. Hopefully we can get some better attempts up soon and see some more vids from others :cheers:

John, PM me and I'll give you Leigh's email address...he can upload to YouTube for you.

Yeah all good just email me your vids and ill put em up. (Birds can pm my email address as I'm out ATM)

Agreed criticism is fine just watch the way you give it. Next attempt I'll focus on touching chest every rep cheers guys.

Yeah all good just email me your vids and ill put em up. (Birds can pm my email address as I'm out ATM)

Agreed criticism is fine just watch the way you give it. Next attempt I'll focus on touching chest every rep cheers guys.

I don't think touching the chest is going to fix what Markos was suggesting.

Set up, back arch, drive are all 'issues' there as well.

Markos wasn't blaming you, he was suggesting you've been taught wrong by whoever trained you.