SAU Community

V36 Nav And Language Swap - Faq

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my V36 today. Was driven away by the new owner this evening. Very sad day.

I have been looking at a Skyline Crossover and have visited 2 different compliance workshops in Melbourne this week.

I will get to the point...

One workshop claimed he could now convert the navigation and menus to English on the V36. Cost about $1,200

Guess I'd have to see it to believe it. I get the impression he was keeping it a secret and it's only meant for cars that he complies and sells through his workshop. I don't know if he is going to roll it out to everyone as a service and I didn't bother to dig any deeper. If someone wants to contact them further to find out if this is for real then PM me and I will pass on his details. I'm not posting the name of the workshop as otherwise he would get flooded with calls.

The other workshop had the conversion and was working on some code or copying a chip. Don't think he quite had it 100% cracked but he was quite sure it was just about ready.

Edited by ChrisB

I got the impression that all the hardware was the same. Just a program re-write.

I will chase it up in a month or so and see if its the real deal.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Nothing special there. Been able to do that since they have been coming here. Everyone bitched about the price. No different to doing a V35. Rest of the system is still in Japanese.

So just a nav system connected into the AUX inputs using a seperate dedicated remote?

No touchscreen interface, just a display screen.

Ahh that would still be crap then.

What's the point of having it on screen if you can't input destinations using the interface buttons and instead have to enter it in at the GPS device itself.

Better than nothing and neater than suction cup marks on your windscreen, constantly packing away and taking back out another GPS unit, etc.

Now that I have screen mirroring available on my Samsung, I'm getting a mirrorlink device to plug into my video input and run it through my phone's GPS. The final step will then be to see if the elusive Mimic X2 can be obtained and see if it will work well or not.

I'll be damned if I were to be expected to mark my windscreen or my dash trying to mount an aftermarket GPS display.

So just a nav system connected into the AUX inputs using a seperate dedicated remote?

No touchscreen interface, just a display screen.

Screen hijack. I can already do the full control off the screen with one but everyone will bitch about the 4 figure sum of money to do it.

Been able to do the non navi for years now and to be honest it's the same kit I use for the local patrol,pathfinder,maxima , murano and a couple of others in the line.

Max,

That piece is frustrating. Video resolution is crap as well UNLESS you get the scaling right. It needs to come up quite a bit. Already been there.

There are two manufacturers in China producing these things. I'm trying them both out so we'll see how we go when they arrive. I'm doing it primarily in the hope that Sony will eventually introduce at least Android OS 4.2 in my NW-ZX1 audio player so I can then have full control of my audio from the vehicle's touchscreen.

• 3 months later...

I'm surprised there isn't a flashable Windows CE 6 or Linux distribution engineered for the unit. at the end of the day it is just Linux installed on it. Chris have you been able to bring up the Unix shell somehow?

This unit is based on VxWorks and not Linux.

It is not easy to build your own OS to support all car electronics, as it is not just a multimedia center. The car won't start without this box running properly.

The required work has been done by smart guys already, see this video for example

• 4 months later...

Have there been any updates on this? I just moved to New Zealand from the States, and bought an 07 350gt Jap Import. My friend has a JY in California with 5 G37's with Navi/There is also a NZ NEW 250GT with Navi/ If i took the complete setup/ loom from the NZ NEW one, whats to stop it working, i'm talking HDD everything

• 2 weeks later...