SAU Community

wrx or skyline

boosted30

Im really not 100% on what car to buy out of an r32 gts-t or a 1999 wrx.

im looking at an r32 wich has alot of work done to it or a wrx with an exhaust and im looking at spending the same amount of money on bothe ($20,000).

the only thing im thinking about is price drop , and value for money.

what do you guys reckon is the better buy out of the 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me I'd buy the rex. 10 years younger and still (IMO) a great car.

agreed... but if you are going to do more work to it, it may be more likely go bang (particularly the gearbox...) but that said I don't know how strong R32 GTst driveline is...

Is r32 GTST $20,000? that's very expensive. I think it would be around $13-14k max........ so u still have a extra 6k to spend on to it. Unless it got a RB26 in it, it is hard to say.

I would go Skyline because it would be easier to modify and more bang for buck and IMO looks better... only one rex i like and thats the old shape 00 before they went bug eye....

WRX driveline is pretty pox and even with my low mods i was able to beat most WRX drivers with exhausts.

As for hold its value more... not really... 00s are now 24k some less for std average condition and as they are all australian imported alot of them have done well over 100k.

My cousin has a 99 WRX limited with full leather and suade interior... to be honest... my old R32 had way more punch and was a hell of a lot more fun to drive....

BUT it is newer... how that makes a difference to its performance i have no idea... technology hasnt changed that much in 6years (93 R32 to 99 wrx)

WRX driveline is pretty pox and even with my low mods i was able to beat most WRX drivers with exhausts.

Was this everytime or just at a set of lights? How about in a run through the black spur or up the Great Alpine Rd. What about at Rob Roy? Even around Winton?

Horses for coarses. The rex would kick an R32 GTS-T's ass in certain circumstance but not at a set of traffic lights. So what. Performance isnt all about who wins when the lights change. And considering Ni you were considering a mini for these reasons Im suprised you said that.

Both totally different cars to drive and different advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, not a fan and drove a modded rex for a little bit and been in a couple of heavy modded ones - but this is a skyline forum after all.

I'd argue a RWD still is awesome fun in the twisties, just requires a bit more thought and knowing of how your car handles.

snowman: inark was getting a WRX, mini, GTR, and ended up with a RB26 Cefiro .. go figure :)

hehehe

exactly... if the car was set up with a decent suspension package it would be able to keep up and possibly beat a WRX around those places... hence i lean towards the moded skyline.

I'd go the 32 they are agressive with a sharper shape and replacement parts such as gear box and engine are quite cheap.

On the other hand the wrx will launch better initially but once the skyline gains traction its quicker. The older shape wrx has a weak gearbox too. The 32 gearbox will handle 220ish kw's although you can upgrade to a 33gts-t which is heaps stonger.

What ever decision you make they are nice looking cars that perform well to what they are made for. They will also piss alot of one-eyed v8 drivers off :)

take care

Mark

lol thats no ordinary tow truck... its got a GTR badge!

+ u werent on the GOR cruise back in march last year :)