SAU Community

Programs For All Goals

markos

Bozo, the newsletters youre reading are 5-6 years old, I never stop learning.

Your lifts are dreadful, youre overweight. I clearly stated, if you walked into PTC..............

I would work you really hard, every session, based on your appearance and strength levels

You doing this session at your own gym wont be effective, I can pretty much guarantee that. Then you'll say "I tried such and such and it was crap". Then some other clown will read that and on it goes. Meanwhile, I could show you a client training like you thats killing it. Whats the difference.

You say you deadlift 100kg or so. Tonight, an overweight client, around 100kg, on his 2nd deadlift session (4th session overall) pulled 150kg x 5 x 5.

This is where internet advice fails. I cant explain effort from a keyboard.

Seriously, why do you think my clients lift so much?

You guys look at numbers, exercises, sets, reps, the main thing, the one thing most lack, is effort.

Funny how you thought tricep pressdowns were funny but not....................

Why do you want extra cardio, if you trained at a rapid rate the program above would have you breathless for the duration.

I remember a guy on a forum saying it took him hours to a program I gave him, I make my clients finish it under 45 minutes

On a serious note, we used to get accused of having underweight plates lol

Most people are in denial

Now instead of questioning what I wrote, try it. How hard you train will determine your progress.

Ok I'll give it a go. If you no longer think what you put in your newsletters is relevant, why are they still there without any explanation of that?

It confuses the hell out of me because the routine you then suggest is totally different to what u thought you wanted people to do. thought you were all into doing the big 3 lifts multiple times a week. I then thought your beginner program would be really beneficial but no?

I meant cardio days if I was doing your 3 day a week beginners plan, with that routine you suggested I would not. Are you able to tell me why I'd be doing isolation exercises though? I'm not trying to question you, I just like to know the reasons behind things.

As for effort, well I push myself as hard as I can, the results will speak for themselves.

I'm still a bit unsure about the diet thing - I'm 180cm, and last time I weighed about 120kg, mostly carried on my stomach. From what I calculated my bmr is about 2300, and I've dropped 20kg since January if that helps.

Eating fairly closely to your previously posted diet advice, or have you revised that too? I did notice it was hard to eat enough on it when eating only lean meat and minimal carbs.

Edited by bozodos

Markos. I took your advice and pissed bread out of my diet. So far I have managed to eat 5-6 times a day. Breakfast is bacon and eggs with porridge. I than have premade 3 meals of chicken brown rice and sundried tomato and feta and for tea I have been having steak and Veges with some sweet potato. After that I have some cottedge cheese .

My routine is gym 4 times a week ( sometimes before work 5am ) and other times after work. On day one its chest and biceps day 2 its upper back and lower back than I have a rest day than day 3 is shoulders and triceps and day 4 is legs. Most of my workouts are 8 reps and 3 sets and going to exhaustion on last set ( usually 8-10 ) I usually have my kids on the week ends and would like to know what I can do on the weekends outdoors at home. Let me know if I am doing something incorrect thanks ken

Hey mate I am in a similar position with work though. On the week that I know I can't commit to the gym I do an all body work out as many times I can get there and bought myself a pull up/dip bar and some kettle bells for home.

Markos. I would like some advice on getting back into the gym. I'm 26 115kg and 6ft 1. I used to go to the gym five days a week, for 4 years and was at my best 90kg with under 10% body fat. Since having kids I have stopped going to the gym and let myself go. I want to get back into the gym hard and my goal will be 100kg with around the 10-15% body fat range. Can you recommend a program that will help me to achive my goal?

Bozo, seriously, if I was you I would just do whats in the newsletters, they were written for guys like you. I havent had clients like that since late 2010/2011.

Not being disrespectful, but my client base has shifted a lot, hence my last 50 newsletters are nothing like my first 50. Follow that advice and you will be leaner and stronger.

The biggest difference is, back then a 180kg squat was insanely strong, now teens weighing 66kg are doing it.

So what you regard strong is easily manageable by what is in those early newsletters.

I hope that explains, and remember, the majority of people reading the newsletters read them from issue 1 to issue 180, not started after I wrote issue 180 and went back 6 years to issue 1

Markos. I took your advice and pissed bread out of my diet. So far I have managed to eat 5-6 times a day. Breakfast is bacon and eggs with porridge. I than have premade 3 meals of chicken brown rice and sundried tomato and feta and for tea I have been having steak and Veges with some sweet potato. After that I have some cottedge cheese .

My routine is gym 4 times a week ( sometimes before work 5am ) and other times after work. On day one its chest and biceps day 2 its upper back and lower back than I have a rest day than day 3 is shoulders and triceps and day 4 is legs. Most of my workouts are 8 reps and 3 sets and going to exhaustion on last set ( usually 8-10 ) I usually have my kids on the week ends and would like to know what I can do on the weekends outdoors at home. Let me know if I am doing something incorrect thanks ken

In my opinion bodypart workouts are useless unless you are a competing bodybuilder, so my advice is work out what you want to achieve, then I can give you better training advice

Markos. I would like some advice on getting back into the gym. I'm 26 115kg and 6ft 1. I used to go to the gym five days a week, for 4 years and was at my best 90kg with under 10% body fat. Since having kids I have stopped going to the gym and let myself go. I want to get back into the gym hard and my goal will be 100kg with around the 10-15% body fat range. Can you recommend a program that will help me to achive my goal?

Read this mate

http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Thanks for the advice Markos - I'll continue with your beginner workout. It's a pity that all of the strength type gyms around here are crossfit only though.

Do you no longer get the overweight beginner types now? I'll hit you up again once I've hit your beginner target for deadlift and bench, I think some of the problem may be a mental one. Maybe one day I'll be as strong as one of your girls, or old people :D

I do, but they are very rare compared to when I started.

For you guys out there, here is what Martin did last night

Military
75*5
75*5
75*5
75*5
75*11

DB shoulder press
20*10
25*10
30*10
35*10
40*8

Side laterals
15*8
17.5*8
20*8
22.5*8

Nautilus Lat pulldown
140*20
150*20
170*20
190*20
210*20

Nautilus Row machine
110*20
130*20
150*20
170*20
190*20
210*20

Nautilus Curl
150*5
130*8
110*12

Tricep pressdown
50*10
40*15
30*20
Nautilus machines are in pounds

Read more: http://www.prorawpowerlifting.proboards.com/thread/1583/martins-training?page=16#ixzz2bLadLw3K

He is off season currently, not training heavy, next meet is middle of November, here is his last deadlift session

Sumo deadlift
190*5
190*5
190*5
190*5
190*5

Sumo block pull
200*3
220*3
240*3
260*3
260*3

Stiff leg deadlift
120*15
130*15
140*15

Bent row
100*5
110*5
120*5
130*5

DB row
35*20
40*20
45*20
50*20

Read more: http://www.prorawpowerlifting.proboards.com/thread/1583/martins-training?page=16#ixzz2bLboRVjI

Hi Markos,

My younger brother will be hitting the gym a little more regularly soon, just wondering what type of routine you would recommend?

He is 17 years old and somewhere between 90-100kg, has good strength in his legs but no real upper body strength.

I have had him in the gym in the past, struggles with chin ups, can not do bent over rows (actually looses balance and falls over).

His main goal is to loose weight (which obviously means eating less and will be his biggest challenge)

I was thinking something along the lines of

Chin ups

Squats

Bench

Military

some form of rows

dips

bar bell curls?

he doesnt have the same health issues as I do, just a lazy bastard is all.

Markos I am about 78 kilos and 171 cm. I always have been short and stocky with puney arms. Even though I have broad shoulders and a large chest I can't lift much ( from memory 2 weeks ago I lifted 70 kilos for 6 reps on the decline bench. I have found out that I don't eat enough protein until about this week. For the last 20 years my protein would of lucky to have been 100 grams a day.

I would like to grow some good muscle and actually look proud when I see myself in the mirror

I should add that I am trying to keep my protein up to 220-240 grams a day. It's a challenge that's for sure as my job this week has me sitting on my ass in an office. I usually am outdoors climbing power poles etc I have not had a drink for over 7 months so I am happily not adding kilos with beer :) I do however have a body shape that if I get much fat at all on me my gut sticks out. I currently have about an inch of fat covering the base of my abs

Eliminate man made carbs, eat mainly lean protein, eggs, oats, cottage cheese, vegetables, milk, cheese, nuts

In regards to training, 3 x week

Squat 3 x 15

Bench 3 x 7

Bent rows 3 x 7

Military press 3 x 7

Stiff leg deadliest 2 x15

You must add weight everytime you achieve the rep/set scheme.

When you can squat 80kg for 3 sets of 15, go to 85kg and do 3 sets, aim for 15, if you only get 12, get 13 next time

Your workout must be progressive

• Like 1

Your biggest issue is focus, you forgot to add a Gold Toilet to that list

I suggest you join a church and pray, coz you need a miracle

If you want to build strength, train very heavy often on a few exercises, but eat heaps to recover

If you want to lose fat, cut your calories down and train often

If you want muscular endurance use light weights with lots of variety

If you want muscle size train very hard with moderate weights and eat plenty of calories

Do all that for the next 12 months and you'll be exactly where you are now

When you say lift heavy vs moderate weights for strength vs muscle size

Do you mean for example:

If you want strength lift 'x' weight at 5 reps

But if you want muscle mass left 'x' lower weight at 8 reps?

I've got a $400 bet with a few of mates of who can have the best body by 1 Dec 2014. So my aim is to build muscle size I spose. At the moment on the big lifts im in the ~6rep range

Exercises at the moment. Only a home gym so just a bench and squat rack. So i've started:

Day 1

Squats 4 sets of 6reps

Lunges 3 sets of 8reps

Leg extension 3 sets of 10 reps

Hamsting curls 3 sets of 8reps

Day2

Barbell flat bench 4 set of 6reps

Barbell incl bench 3 set of 8reps

Dumbll incl bench 3 set of 8reps

Dips 3 x max

Day3

Deadlift 4 sets of 6reps

Bentover row 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbell row 3 sets of 8 reps

Pullups 3 sets of max reps

Day4

Military barbell press 3 x 6reps

Barbell shoulder press 3 x 8 reps

BB curl 3 x 8 reps

Day5

Squats 4 sets of 6reps

Deadlift 4 sets of 6reps

Barbell flat bench 4 set of 6reps

Dips 3 set of max reps

Pullups 3 sets of max reps

My biggest issue at the moment is rest between sets. When i do squats/bench/deadlift. I feel like I need ~2-3min break between sets

I'm about 170cm, 74kg, stockish build, got a bit of muscle but i'd say ~15-20% bodyfat

Going by this pic

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

My Diet is now 100% under control since last week. Only lean meats, vegs. complex carbs no sweats or takeaways etc...

Edited by blah_blah

For such a light bodyweight you're pretty fat, most guys that light are quite lean.

You have an issue in that you have to be careful with the calories, and I have no idea what youre eating, but eat enough protein to build some muscle

Because I dont know what weights your lifting I cant comment on your program.

For me to put a client on that, one that weighs 74kg, he would be squatting 150kg, benching 110kg, deadlifting 200kg, military pressing 60kg

The workout seems a bit lame regardless

Most sessions between 13 and 9 sets, pretty soft considering the exercises, especially Day 4, I'm not calling that a session

Oh, and join a gym if youre serious unless your going to spend the bucks and have a proper set up

The effort you put out, in everything you do, will be reflected in the outcome, I mean intensity, equipment, discipline.

Good luck big fella

Girlfriend wants to try something new. Does cardio based classes but lost motivation as it's boring for her now after 2 years.

She's lost a lot of weight originally and currently she eats about 1400 cals doing one of those 1 hour classes and only maintains her weight and she struggles eating so little.

Goal is to gain some muscle/lose fat.

Suggested lifting 3xweek and two cardio based days but unsure of routine. Was just going to get her to focus on barbell exercises and maybe get her doing some chins/dips too. Advice for routine? I have a power rack with spotter bars/bench and barbell/dumbbell weights at home.