SAU Community

Programs For All Goals

markos

For such a light bodyweight you're pretty fat, most guys that light are quite lean.

You have an issue in that you have to be careful with the calories, and I have no idea what youre eating, but eat enough protein to build some muscle

Because I dont know what weights your lifting I cant comment on your program.

For me to put a client on that, one that weighs 74kg, he would be squatting 150kg, benching 110kg, deadlifting 200kg, military pressing 60kg

The workout seems a bit lame regardless

Most sessions between 13 and 9 sets, pretty soft considering the exercises, especially Day 4, I'm not calling that a session

Oh, and join a gym if youre serious unless your going to spend the bucks and have a proper set up

The effort you put out, in everything you do, will be reflected in the outcome, I mean intensity, equipment, discipline.

Good luck big fella

Cheers Markos

Will take the advice on board

Especially in the regards to working harder and not having lame workouts :thumbsup:

I'm trying to push on my lifts and increase weight as they're slowing down a bit or some staying the same ~9 months at gym at the moment anyway probably related to my diet as I'm kinda eating what ever (within reason), what kind of food would you eat for say a 2000cal diet? obviously I know the norm chicken steak brown rice sweet potatoes nuts etc but need some other ideas so I don't get bored of eating the same stuff

Girlfriend wants to try something new. Does cardio based classes but lost motivation as it's boring for her now after 2 years.

She's lost a lot of weight originally and currently she eats about 1400 cals doing one of those 1 hour classes and only maintains her weight and she struggles eating so little.

Goal is to gain some muscle/lose fat.

Suggested lifting 3xweek and two cardio based days but unsure of routine. Was just going to get her to focus on barbell exercises and maybe get her doing some chins/dips too. Advice for routine? I have a power rack with spotter bars/bench and barbell/dumbbell weights at home.

I would have her doing 3 sets each of squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press, SLDL, curls and rows. If she does that 3 x week and really pushes to add weight most sessions, as long as she doesnt consume too many empty calories she'll do well

I'm trying to push on my lifts and increase weight as they're slowing down a bit or some staying the same ~9 months at gym at the moment anyway probably related to my diet as I'm kinda eating what ever (within reason), what kind of food would you eat for say a 2000cal diet? obviously I know the norm chicken steak brown rice sweet potatoes nuts etc but need some other ideas so I don't get bored of eating the same stuff

Use your imagination. Stuff like feta or anchovies in tuna salads or chicken salads really help, as well as fresh chillies

Scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon,anchovies, chillies,onion

Chicken and vegetable soup

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Markos, I'm still doing your beginner program (and really liking the strength improvements over what I was doing, I think being more focused has helped a lot), would it be overkill to do it say 5 days a week instead of the 3 that I'm currently doing? I ended up deciding that for now I want to concentrate on fat loss / body recomp.

Otherwise I'm going to devise some more cardio type exercises to do on the 'off days'.

not on the bench or DL, and it's been a while since I did a squat 1RM. Finding it hard to do cardio based excercises due to there being less room @ the gym now, and a lack of equipment (proper weights based cardio not running on a treadmill like a hamster), so the thought entered my head of just doing more volume of what I'm already doing. Don't know if that would be 'overtraining' though.

This is the version that has 2x20 squat, 15x3 SLDL, and 3x10 of OHP, dips, bench, bent over row, barbell curl

Edited by bozodos

cardio doesnt have to be done at the gym or on the treadmill for that matter.

20min HIIT in the morning on empty stomach

40 - 60min walk on empty stomach (pace of around 6 - 7 kmh early am)

25min skipping

shuttle runs

etc

etc

etc

Markos,

Currently doing PPP

115 Bench

150 Squat

150 DL.

This is in addition to the extra exercises you put forward for each training session.

3 - 4 Sprint type cycling sessions a week (No longer than 40km)

Seriously considering going back to play club football next year (Rugby League)

What would you suggest to do or change in my routine ?

I am 175cm and 88KG although that's probably not all that relevant.

Am able to train 5 days a week, diet needs improving if am honest.

Cheers,

Mitch.

Edited by Nee-san

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite training day is Day 3, 10 x 5 Clean and Press day, I just sit at the same weight for every set, as stated elsewhere when I can complete all sets and reps I add between 2.5 and 5kg.

My rest time for the cleans is around 90 seconds but everything else is around 60.

165CM@78kg 20% bf

My latest routine is currently at:

DAY 1

Inc DB Press 5x10@35

Flt DB Press [email protected]

Decline Bench 3x10@75

Close Grip Bench 3x10@60

Standing Tri-ext [email protected]

Rope Tri-ext [email protected]

Day 2

Body weight Heaves 5xmax@78

BB Row 5x10@65

Arched Back Close Grip Palms Facing together Body weight Heaves 5xmax@78

1 Arm DB Row 5x10@35

DB curls 3x10@15

Hammer curls 3x10@15

Day 3

Clean and Press 10x5@70

Shrugs 3x10@60

45ish minutes Cardio/Cross Training on Mon, Wen, Fri.

Weights days are 2 days on then 1 off, sessions last around 45min.

And before any says, "where's the squats and dead's", I'm 48 now and my back and knees don't like bending all that much now, yes it makes me sad but not needing pain killers to sleep outweighs the inconvenience of not doing them.

I use a belt now only for the cleans but I use wrist straps for most other exercises as my wrists get sore now.

I have no goals really, just basic strength and body maintenance.

Pre workout Supplement is Coffee

Post workout Supplements are Coffee and Cigarettes

I enjoy my sessions, critique at will, but leave my supplements out of it, LOL..

still doing PTC beginner, still seeing gradual improvements in OHP, squat and curls - deadlift and bent over row has risen rapidly, especially deadlift. I've taken it easy with the bench pressing part.

Finding progress with squatting slow in terms of getting up to 20 reps in a set - not being able to squat first most of the time does not help. Currently at 15x2 and 10x1. Enjoying the routine though, and can almost do dips unassisted now, and the assistance weight is dropping when I do pullups on the off days.

Some of the fellow regulars have been asking me what program I'm doing and showing a fair bit of perplexity at the fact that it's not a 5x5 routine haha. I might add that it's a hard routine to do, I'm about to start doing some Tabata HIIT - there's a Crossfit WOD called Tabata This! that looks interesting.