SAU Community

Programs For All Goals

markos

squat more, deadlift more?

I'm finding my squat is stalling a bit at 125kg - I can get the first set of 20 out, but always have to do 2 sets of 10 afterwards! Not sure if I should deload to get the reps out, or put more weight on and do shorter sets for a bit.

Holy hell dude, 125kg for 20 reps is a solid effort.

If you're trying to merely increase the weight, drop the rep range substantially and add 2.5kg per session

Edit: Thanks for the help Markos, I'll do my research now

Edited by TM7GTR

Less reps more weight boz...you could easily knock out 10 of 135 instead of 20 of 125 and I think it would be more beneficial. Bam, you'll be past your brick wall.

Have you tried doing any singles or doubles on squats?

Yeah that's how I used to train - doing sets of 20 due to the program I'm using.

I was previously squatting 130-140 for reps and a 1rm of 170, but that was a while ago. Can't hurt to change it up a bit and see how I go with this current plateau!

Ah k I see. Yeah the body does respond well to different rep ranges. But I see no reason you can't keep doing your 20 rep stuff if you like it, and throw a single in at the end...even if it's only 150kg...just to make the 125 mentally seem that much lighter when you do it next time.

After having a sook at work again about my back and my perceived ability to not being able to do deads or squats, a guy put me on to this web program, he said he was looking for something a few years ago and was told to give this a try, he too was worried about his bad back and joint problems but now says his back is better that it was years ago.

It is a bit weird having to drop the weights at the start but he says it will ensure my form is spot on thus negating the chance of injury.

The strong lift program is broken down into 5 12 week programs, 3 initial programs from 5 x 5 to 3 x 5 then 1 x5, excluding warm ups, then a intermediate and then a advanced, each has a slight variances in reps and sets, it seems like a good system but like all things only time will tell and I am in no rush.

He did recommend to add weighted dips for the "A" workout and weighted chins for the "B" workout.(we have to modify everything touch, LOL)

I will start this on Monday and see how it goes, I am quietly confident on the basis of his results.

I thought this might help some people.

My goal, YES I HAVE ONE NOW, is to see what I can bench/squat and dead for 5 reps in 2 years time.

Disclaimer: This is not a body building program, its more about overall strength.

The meat of this program with some good history of the big names in power lifting and body building and some excellent reading is from page 15 to page 65, I enjoyed the 30 minutes of reading so much I am throwing my hat into the ring.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5-report.html

You don't need a special program to tell you that deadlifts will do wonders for back issues!

Anyone who's ever had issues and gotten on to deadlifts will tell you what a miracle worker they are :)

Yet we're usually too scared of trying for fear of making the issues worse...that was me once upon a time...

You don't need a special program to tell you that deadlifts will do wonders for back issues!

Anyone who's ever had issues and gotten on to deadlifts will tell you what a miracle worker they are :)

Yet we're usually too scared of trying for fear of making the issues worse...that was me once upon a time...

It was the squats and dead's that screwed my back to start with, when I was young and dumb I would always try and get a PB at the end of a session, due to fatigue and sloppy form I would get out of shape on a fairly regular basis.

My spine got compacted and screwed the cartilage stuff in between my lower vertebrate and my knees went due to me pointing my knees together struggling to do heavy squats.

I'm older and hopefully smarter now and not really interested in doing 1RM lifts at the end of a session.

I'm never going to get big numbers now anyway, but like you say my whole body strength will greatly appreciate the movement, even if it is only light weight.

Best of all it is a no brain style of program with only 7 base movements (I added chins and dips) and no real tricky things needed for my training log.

I have just finished doing my log for the first 2 sessions and apart from the added chins and dips the only other change was swapping OHP for Clean and Press because they are my favourite exercise.

It was the squats and dead's that screwed my back to start with, when I was young and dumb I would always try and get a PB at the end of a session, due to fatigue and sloppy form I would get out of shape on a fairly regular basis.

My spine got compacted and screwed the cartilage stuff in between my lower vertebrate and my knees went due to me pointing my knees together struggling to do heavy squats.

I'm older and hopefully smarter now and not really interested in doing 1RM lifts at the end of a session.

I'm never going to get big numbers now anyway, but like you say my whole body strength will greatly appreciate the movement, even if it is only light weight.

Best of all it is a no brain style of program with only 7 base movements (I added chins and dips) and no real tricky things needed for my training log.

I have just finished doing my log for the first 2 sessions and apart from the added chins and dips the only other change was swapping OHP for Clean and Press because they are my favourite exercise.

Ah my right knee does that during heavy squats, now I've got a right side hamstring issue...how do I stop the bendy knees?!

Ah my right knee does that during heavy squats, now I've got a right side hamstring issue...how do I stop the bendy knees?!

Some with more knowledge than me should be able to answer that correctly, BUT, the info I've gleaned is to have my feet slightly more than shoulder width apart, set up correctly and force good form by concentrating on forcing the knees apart, if the form falters use lighter weight.

I've only been doing body weight squats with the bar held low on my back trying to get back into "how to squat", trying to set up for the squat and keeping all the core, back, arse and head in the correct position is 90% of the squat, the hard thing too is keeping that going for every single rep.

I'm to old to screw with my body with poor form, I've been there and done it and have the MRI and CAT scans to prove it.

I cringe at the gym at work when I see some of the younger guys sacrificing good form to try and get a lift, still physios need food and orthopaedic surgeons need to keep their women in diamonds so its not all bad.

EDIT: I have also bit the bullet and am going to do the pilate classes that are available at lunch time at work, it will help with my core strength and its not bad for the optic nerve either.

Some with more knowledge than me should be able to answer that correctly, BUT, the info I've gleaned is to have my feet slightly more than shoulder width apart, set up correctly and force good form by concentrating on forcing the knees apart, if the form falters use lighter weight.

I've only been doing body weight squats with the bar held low on my back trying to get back into "how to squat", trying to set up for the squat and keeping all the core, back, arse and head in the correct position is 90% of the squat, the hard thing too is keeping that going for every single rep.

I'm to old to screw with my body with poor form, I've been there and done it and have the MRI and CAT scans to prove it.

I cringe at the gym at work when I see some of the younger guys sacrificing good form to try and get a lift, still physios need food and orthopaedic surgeons need to keep their women in diamonds so its not all bad.

EDIT: I have also bit the bullet and am going to do the pilate classes that are available at lunch time at work, it will help with my core strength and its not bad for the optic nerve either.

Thanks, I have a wide stance with my toes pointed slightly outwards, but doesn't make a difference when the weight is heavy for me. I've been adding some stretches and work with a band which may be helping, probably too early to tell.

Did you get my msg about skyline b4 mark thanks

Hey mark I know own your old car I'm happy to say its in good hands car is at uni group now as we speak under going a e85 set up which should do wonders

• 2 weeks later...

Markos if you're still around, I had a couple of questions about the Beginners routine for you.

Is it normal for my bench to still be quite crappy compared to my squat and deadlift - is this a sign of imbalance, and if so should I be doing any assistance excercises?

Sometimes I feel like I'm running out of energy towards the end of the session - should I push through it even if I can't physically make the reps? (eating at a calorie deficit)

Do you still consider your original version of the Beginner routine to be effective, bearing in mind that you said you've changed your outlook on some things over the last 5 years.

I've dropped back to going to the gym 3 days a week and doing Tabata Thrusters on the other two, and I do regular deadlifts 5x5 instead of the stiff legged / RDL once a week.