SAU Community

Car Cannot Take Timing

Only my 2c... (not an expert purely a tinkerer)

You are judging whether the car can take timing by a sound through a set of det cans? The car is pinging at peak torque? Take 4 degrees out at this section and see what happens to torque? Does the ping go away? The feed it back in and check whether the torque rises and then falls again and the ping comes back? Add more timing back in after peak torque?

I have heard a lot of what I thought was det but ended up not being det just other engine noises.

Maybe run the dyno run in a different gear to see if the ping goes away?

Only my 2c... (not an expert purely a tinkerer)

You are judging whether the car can take timing by a sound through a set of det cans? The car is pinging at peak torque? Take 4 degrees out at this section and see what happens to torque? Does the ping go away? Then feed it back in and check whether the torque rises and then falls again and the ping comes back? Add more timing back in after peak torque?

I have heard a lot of what I thought was det but ended up not being det just other engine noises.

Maybe run the dyno run in a different gear to see if the ping goes away?

Is the tuner old school enough to look at the plugs after a run to check for signs of det and heat range/electrode temperature to confirm det cans? The car must be shut down under the load conditions which is pretty freaky!

AFR sensor past it's due date? IIRC, they cannot read accurate rich when on the way out? I have a Motec PLM and almost new NTK sensor you can borrow if you need?

Is the tuner old school enough to look at the plugs after a run to check for signs of det and heat range/electrode temperature to confirm det cans? The car must be shut down under the load conditions which is pretty freaky!

I certainly wouldn't want to do that to my turbo. On an NA no worries.

Why not? It isn't like you have just finished pounding it at full noise for an hour straight?

Because it would be spinning at 100k+ rpm then then you shut its oil supply off....

• Like 1

Who is Trent? Have I dissed someone without knowing?

Well we cannot say cam timing anymore.... So trying to think outside the box

And don't believe me I shut my car down under load on the road whilst tuning and the steering lock engaged..... Fun times!