SAU Community

Coilover Choices.

Hi guys,

About to buy some new coilovers to replace the ones that came with my car which ride horribly and the damper adjustment is stuck on full hard...

Tossing up between -

Cusco Street Zero A's - 8/6kg

HKS Hipermax IV - 7/5kg

Tein Street Flex - 7/5kg

Planning on occasional track day, I'm used to a firm ride but my current ones are to a point where I struggle with traction.. Front/Rear sway bars and suspension arms are also on the cards to get everything dialled in for plenty of grip.

Any other recommendations welcomed.

Car is R34 GTT with hicas.

Cheers.

Edited by owen1r

What's your budget? Why not get Stune shocks/springs?

You planning to slam/dump your car or have respectable ride height?

Honestly, how many times do you plan on changing ride height. Most people set height, change damper and then never touch it again!!!!!

What's your budget? Why not get Stune shocks/springs?

You planning to slam/dump your car or have respectable ride height?

Honestly, how many times do you plan on changing ride height. Most people set height, change damper and then never touch it again!!!!!

Respectable height, but would like the option to change damping.

I'd say go for the HKS...or Tein Super Street

Why the super streets over the flex?

HSD AD

Is this the Monopro version?

Cheers.

http://www.otomoto.com.au/p/8472344/hsd-dualtech-coliovers-for-skyline-er34.html

Yep, that would be my pick. Seems like they changed the name. Same suspension in my mate's S15. He thought it would be stiffer but is very comfortable for the spring rates (dampening plays a big part). He runs the dampers hard because he wants that 'coilovers' feel. Depends what you can tolerate really.

You also have the option of going the Monopro, which are stiffer.

Bonus is you can buy different springs from Otomoto, of course and local after sales support (if you're in Sydney, even better).

Why the super streets over the flex?

just thought cost might be a concern? the super streets are actually quite good for the price... though some say abit harsh.. I had the Super drifts on my S13.. loved them but were harder than hell :P

havent really tried the HKS.... but heard wonders abt them...

just thought cost might be a concern? the super streets are actually quite good for the price... though some say abit harsh.. I had the Super drifts on my S13.. loved them but were harder than hell :P

havent really tried the HKS.... but heard wonders abt them...

Rather do things right the first time.. Don't want to end up with another set of terrible coilovers..

I did a lot of research before buying mine and all the info points to the valving being the critical component and you often do not get that with the more affordable brands, even from the likes of Tein andHKS.

I got lucky and found a new set of BILSTEIN (B16 PSS9) and can highly recommend them.

Spring rates:

Front 7Kg

Rear 8kg

Soft enough on the road and I am sure they will be firm enough for track work.

Admittedly the damping adjuster is not great but the valving is meant to be top notch.

As owen1r says rather buy them once.