SAU Community

Gauges

• 10 months later...

Good thread.

I just did a track day and spoke with my workshop afterwards, they recommended getting an oil temp gauge at a minimum.

So going by the suggestions in the earlier posts, if I was to get boost and oil temp gauges plus perhaps a shift light for the track, what brands should I be looking at? Autometer, HDI, anything else? Defis look nice but exxy.

Yeah but defis work good, are reliable and also record and can show max levels with programmable warnings, plus easy to read and look good, you get what you pay for, monitoring your engine is pretty important

Yeah but defis work good, are reliable and also record and can show max levels with programmable warnings, plus easy to read and look good, you get what you pay for, monitoring your engine is pretty important

Ok I take your point - just bought a set of 60mm boost/oil temp/water temp Defis at a reasonable price. These are not the latest model but seem to be in good nic.

I'll need to find an R34 triple gauge pod (the holder only) and a replacement Defi oil temp sensor somewhere, any recommendations on where to look?

I think i have a spare oil temp sensor actually

Awesome - just sent you a PM.

Here's the Defis I bought, with the Defi-Link Control Unit II (DF05001-32). They're early 2000's I'd say.

16471101695_6825532c69_z.jpg

do love the defi's too expensive for me though.

I got race tech gauges, does the job for street abuse.

they are the 60mm 3 in one gauges

1st gauge EGT, fuel pressure, Water temp (top of rad)

2nd gauge Oil press & temp and water temp (bottom of rad)

3rd AFR

EBC shows me boost.

you take your eyes of the road when on track, maybe at best you look down at the dash... rarely...

• Like 1

do love the defi's too expensive for me though.

I got race tech gauges, does the job for street abuse.

they are the 60mm 3 in one gauges

1st gauge EGT, fuel pressure, Water temp (top of rad)

2nd gauge Oil press & temp and water temp (bottom of rad)

3rd AFR

EBC shows me boost.

you take your eyes of the road when on track, maybe at best you look down at the dash... rarely...

Cheers Daniel, looks like a great setup! I just found more details in your build thread: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/452874-dannys-r34-gtt-build-diary-log/?p=7463887 . It sounds like installing the probes is a pretty big job?

I agree about not really being able to look at gauges out on the track, however there's always a bit of time during a cool-down lap :)

not sure what race's you've been to but the only cool down time is when your off the track completely, and yes installing the probes will be your biggest concern, once you get your head around all the fittings and npt vs bsb threads you'll nut it out quickly, also my local auto pro help's me with various fittings and adapters, so keep that in mind when something doesn't fit, and sometimes you'll just need someone to weld in a bung for your sensors.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Check out the auber gauges. Super accurate and can be wired up to a beeper alarm. I've got them in my Cefiro and wired a switch into the alarm for when the car isn't running etc. Alarms are fully adjustable and if you want to change what the gauge is for down the track you just buy another sender and wire it up.

They are relatively cheap too (more now with the AUD going down) but I just bought 2 for my Patrol as well as they were $226 delivered. Brilliant after sales service too!

I've since added labels to each one but here is a summary:

1. Oil temp
  2. Oil pressure (shown in Bar - car was off at time of photo)
  3. Water temp
  4. Warning buzzer - Each gauge has configurable warning levels switched by an internal relay. All 3 gauges are negatively switched to the buzzer so when the internal relay switches upon hitting the limit it will start the buzzer flashing and beeping
  5. Switch for buzzer - I added a switch to the buzzer so if something goes wrong and I'm aware of it, it doesn't continually keep beeping at me!
  6. Switch to allow radio, clock, central locking to work when the kill switch is off. When it is on it allows current to pass through a 15amp fuse across the kill switch terminals so if you try and start the car without the kill switch the fuse blows. When it is off it means the car is drawing no power.
  7. Kill switch

IMG_5708_zpsa1308e89.jpg

Edited by konect
  • Like 1

Personally dont like the look of those data monitors, but to me that seems like a very well thought out and nice setup. The alarms in my gauges piss me off but they are either on or off. Would be great to have a buzzer cancel and alarm wired up to a 5psi oil pressure switch to cancel it when the cars off

If I had the money and room, I'd have so much crap in my car haha

Hehe. I used Auber Instruments' PID controller to replace the thermostat on my espresso machine. They make good stuff - just not as pretty as Defis. Auber "gauges" are not really gauges in the real sense of the word. They are little 1/32 DIN industrial indicators that you can set up to display the output from pretty much any automobile sensor (if you try hard enough).

Yeah had a play with the Defis tonight, just basic wiring to battery to see the powerup. The startup sequence is pretty nifty, it's a great piece of marketing on Defi's behalf, looks like every other gauge is doing the same these days :)

I actually went with digital gauges, mainly because in a scenario where you're wanting to see if something is boiling, all I want/need to do is see whether it's a 3 or 2 digit number. :P

That said, a buzzer would also suffice for this, and is a far better idea than quickly looking down near your head unit while driving at speed.

I also went digital but slightly different. I bought one of these when first released

http://www.rhdjapan.com/apexi-din-gauge-3-multi-purpose-digital-meter.html

You can set alarms and colours for different temps and pressures. It displays oil and water temp plus oil pressure. Comes with sensors and harnesses and fits perfectly into a normal din mount.

The good thing with the colours is that you can set it to blue for when the cars warming up and as it gets to normal operating temps it will slowly change to green. If the temps start to rise then it changes to pink and then red.

Has all the usual options like peak recall ect as well.

Here a short video of it