SAU Community

Mmm, new wheels are baws. What side skirts are those?

Cheers man, I'm still not sold on the size of the tyres, but its more about grip and learning how the car behaves (its a very drift orientated setup) with its new found power.

The skirts are by First Molding the aero is called 'More Collage' http://www.firstmolding.com/nissan/r32/r32.html they were already on the car when I first got it. Sadly I have done a lot of damage to the drivers side skirt so I'm not sure if it will survive! It might be more cost effective to replace it??

Yeah the Fabrication has been really good, I’m loving seeing it all come together. Hopefully not long now!

Some more of Nathan's amazing work. It's getting closer to being finished. I have booked myself a spot on the Morning Drift session at QR on August 19th. So I'm counting down the days for that! It still needs a few things to be done, but not long now!

Fabrication015.jpgFabrication017.jpgFabrication018.jpg

• Like 1

That's tidy as man, where did you get your clear timing cover if you don't mind me asking

Funny you should ask, I got it from a fellow SAU member. It's made by HPI you can buy them from Nengun and Just Jap http://justjap.com/index.php/engine/engine-accessories/hpi-clear-timing-belt-cover-nissan-rb20-rb25.html

very nice mate, nice and tidy.

Cheers man, It's really coming together now. I can't wait for the first start and tuning! I'm looking forward to driving it most of all. It's been way too long.

love it.

Thanks for the feedback dude, I'll try and get some video's for the thread when it's up and running.

A new plazmaman fuel rail and 1000cc injectors have been ordered. The inlet manifold had to come off because I have lost the bolts for it... The only thing in this whole build which has been misplaced. While its off it will get bead blasted to match to finish of the turbo.

This is how the dump pipe looks now that its been heat wrapped. I have been really fussy with this. I'm hoping it will pay off and keep the under bonnet down.

Fabrication022.jpgFabrication021.jpg

A big Thank you to John and Skinny from Next Up Performance https://www.facebook.com/pages/Next-Up-Performance/163663657147931 for putting together a lot of the most important new area's of the car. I also want to thank Nathan of Fabulous Fabrications https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fabulous-Fabrications/172142296162949 for his excellent fab work and patients. It's all come together really well and I am very happy with everything.

The Battery is mounted to the boot floor using a sheet of alloy similar to the one used in the surge tank mount. I have kept the battery box complete with a lid as it looks neat.

Battery002.jpg

This is the complete fuel system. The surge tank was modified for the dual pump set up. More of Nathan's Welding skills!

SurgeTank002.jpgSurgeTank001.jpg

Here are the new 1000cc injectors in the Plazmaman rail.

FuelRail.jpg

I got it outside for a long overdue wash!

Justwashed001.jpg

And It runs! (Apologies for the video quality was actually shot using a small potato...) I'm using a Haltech R32/R33 plug in computer, hoping tuning will be all ok for next week.

Sounds good man!

Cheers, its stupidly loud under load with this exhaust on it. I have a Cat and Muffler for the street!

Got onto the Dyno today for some running in and starting the tune. The wastegate had a 7psi spring in it which limited any power runs. I'm hoping tom the 14psi spring can be fitted. It made 278hp (207kw) on 7.5psi haha baby steps!

Dyno003.jpg

What ECU are you using to tune it?

Im thinking of going something nice and simple in mine like a Nistune, but wondering if there is benefits in going for something more expensive/ maybe better!

I'm using a Haltech, they offer a Skyline R32/33 specific computer. The main engine harness (which would normally plug into your factory computer) simply plugs in + a vacuum line.

web_ProR32.jpeg

The reasons for the Haltech was that I felt the new forged motor deserved a high quality computer to manage it. It was recommended by two separate workshops as the best option for me. And also because of the ability to use E85 the flex fuel sensor (Yes I know other ECU's offer the same benefit). Generally the best option is to choose the Management your Tuner uses and recommends. That's also prob the best person to talk to about wether its worth you using something like this or something simpler

This is the Dash which you can attach to the computer and something I'll be adding when I go track only with my car.

article_iq3dash.jpg

Have a look at their website and http://www.haltech.com/ and the Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/haltechecu for some great information

Better late than never update!, the engine was run in on the dyno and the tune was completed with the Caltex Eflex. The final figure was 460hp (343kw) on 20psi using Eflex. Once its done a few kilometres we'll see if more dyno time nets a higher figure than that. But for now I'm very happy with it, the overall feeling compared to the rb20 is that it's torquey and really nice to drive off boost. On boost it just pulls and pulls. I've never driven anything with more than 300hp so its def a new experience for me!

photo1.jpgphoto4.jpg

The 'street' exhaust was hanging quite low and needed to be raised up.

StreetExhaust001.jpg

Nathan worked his magic a new mount was added and the flange modified to bring it closer to the subframe. The tip was replaced with a new 3.5 inch piece which finished it off nicely!

StreetExhaust004.jpg

I took the car for a run in/fun drive yesterday. I went over Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious and all the way out to the Brisbane Valley Highway and back. It's a really great drive I’m sure many local Brisbane people will have done it. There are a few things still to be sorted, but overall I’m very happy with it and the way it drives. I'll try and update with some better pics in the future.

photo5.jpg

• Like 1

A few more things have been done to finish the car off. I asked Nathan to build me a catch can, hopefully a bash plate will make its way under the car in the near future.

Catchcan001.jpgCatchcan002.jpg

I also got to fit my Oil cooler when the street exhaust was modified. Very happy to have this working again!

Oilcooler001.jpgOilcooler003.jpg

I had a wheel alignment done this afternoon. The last time I went drfiting the tyres ended up wearing the outer edges more than the inner (Prob due to the recent knuckles and rack modifications).

Before;

Front Toe: +9.2mm L, +3.6mm R,

Camber: 3.15 and 4.29deg

Caster: 7.6 and 7.1deg

Rear +1.0mmL and -2.8mm R

Camber -1.03 and _00.94deg

This is what I ended up with. I stuffed up and forgot the camber arm specific adjuster so we couldn't correct that.

Front Toe: -1.6mm L, -1.6mm R,

Camber: 3.09 and 4.09deg

Caster: 7.97 and 7.21deg

Rear Toe +1.1mmL and +1.1mm R

Camber -00.76 and -00.76deg

Can't wait to see how it all feels when drifting!

Car is looking awesome man!!! Pulled some nice figures, what kind of power are you trying to get once it is run in?

Most of the running/bedding in was done on the dyno by John @ Next Up Performance. I've been putting some street km on it, I've done about 500. It's really hard to tell for sure but it feels a little faster now then when I first drove it?? In terms of out right power I'm hoping it will make over 500rwhp using Eflex and up to 25psi. But there is no rush just yet. It feels awesome compared to my rb20. There's no replacement for displacement!

I spent Saturday afternoon sorting through my list of things to fix or adjust on the car. For some reason things bug me when I'm out driving but as soon as I stop... I usually forget them!

The gearbox doesn't feel great despite running new redline shock proof oil. I'm also finding that I need to push the clutch right to the floor to get a good disengagement. To correct this I bled the clutch and then had a look at adjusting the push rod on the pedal to try and get it to push the into the master further with less pedal travel. I left it for now but I'll try again as its making the car a pain in the arse in traffic.

The car was running water in the cooling system to help the new head gasket to seal. I decided to put some coolant in there ready for future abuse and keeping things cool in Qld summer! The radiator I'm using is prob Chinese made and doesn't have a convenient drain bung so the easiest way to drain is to remove the radiator hoses. I flushed the block at the same time so the thermostat came out. I've also added my temp fitting to the top hose, and I'll be fitting my gauges up next week.

Coolingsystem002.jpgCoolingsystem003.jpg

Having a hoist to work on makes everything much easier. I went over all of the subframe and suspension bolts under the car. I was a little shocked by how loose some of them had become. There was also a little scraping noise from the rhr of the car which I diagnosed as the backing plate rubbing on the rotor. So good that it was something simple I was worried that it might be more $$$. I tried to adjust my headlights, but they're old and second hand I could only get a small improvement. Better than none I guess!

Coolingsystem004.jpg

My list of things to adjust or fix is getting smaller and smaller. The car now has its catch can and oil cooler fitted, exhaust modified, and wheel alignment done. I've been able to put some km on the motor and get a better feel for the power band/delivery. It feels like all my hard work is paying off, I'm thinking of going out to the Downshift cars and coffee morning for a laugh, but I'll wait and see if the car survives it's first drift day before I commit to anything.

Edited by Kisuu_Buta