SAU Community

Car Stolen From Homebush Overnight

Lolrick

Outsiders assume Newington ppl own nice things Dave.

Yeah we get thefts up here in the lower Mtns and often those who get caught are not locals.

Yes breaking news tell us Dale that a Penrith woman is being questioned about all those trailer thefts here in the lower mtns.

I saw that this arvo Terry, it does show that it's possible to recover goods after a theft.

Yes NXTIME; that's the one. ;)

Crazy, my mates 32 just got stolen in the same area as well, lastnight!

FK! That's honestly heartbreaking. This is in Newington, or general Homebush area?

Dear oh dear...

No CCTV nearby David?

Apparently the council/watch/ranger/management authority of Newington has a few around, we asked the question to see if they had anything of use but so far have had no luck

This really scares me, because there's only so much that you can do to secure a car if you don't have a garage - i may not be able to purchase a nice car and leave it on the street anymore. Can't believe that people can steal cars for a living - they KNOW how much these vehicles mean to their owners. I'm just glad i didn't have my wallet or any other valuables in the car at the time... though I'm filthy that I had an oil and fuel filter in the boot - that's like gifting the thieves another $50!

Crime is crime unfortunately and people in that lifestyle don't have that type of empathy they just want the next quick buck. They obviously don't have the same set of values or appreciate what it is to work hard for something that you love like that.

Same as how I guess drug dealers don't think about the impact of what they're selling on the people who are buying it from them.

I do not sleep easy if for any reason I have to leave the GTR outside somewhere.

• Like 1

CAMS approved removable steering wheel boss.

Cant nic it if the wheel is locked up in your house with the keys in a safe.

Also an electrical isolator with removable switch is key too.

• 9 months later...

Thought I might post an update - the car has apparently surfaced in Bankstown, been rebirthed, now damaged and in a police lot.

Police want a statement from me, if anyone has had to do this before can you please pm me? Car legally belongs to the insurance company

Just go in and tell them what you know, dont try and give them any information you're unsure of or speculate anything

You left the car it was in x spot and when you came back it wasn't in x spot anymore

Thanks, will do.

I've been happily driving my Evo for a while now... getting the call from the constable, I feel that I've been happily married with kids but suddenly my smoking hot ex has turned up and I'm conflicted!

I'm waiting for a call back from the cop shop. What are the chances that they will allow me to inspect the car (I may request to check for personal belongings. Sidequestion - could I take the subwoofer out?) and has anyone purchased their stolen vehicle back off Just Car Insurance? I am unsure if i have first offer. Car is unregisterable though, so if the price is much higher than scrap value it will not be worth the time (dependent on condition!)

Fortunately I've never been in this position before

• 2 weeks later...

The cops just want a statement from you because you were the original owner and they can't take action against anyone without that statement. The old 'no victim' no crime is as true a phase as is cigarettes will give you cancer.

It's really no big deal, nothing to be concerned about, just answer their questions, they'll be pretty standard. Just in case your insurance company (Just Car) hasn't been notified I'd tell them about it as Bankstown Police might not tell them as they might not know that you were insured with them unless you told them about it in the original stolen report.

I'd find out from them where the car is exactly, it could be in 2 different spots, at the Police station or at a tow yard for DNA & Prints if they deemed it necessary (could have been involved in other crimes).

• Like 1

The policeman dropped into my work today as he asked for the keys i had for it - was a nice guy, said they found the car at a property that had many other stolen cars (mostly skylines and evos). I believe charges have been pressed, so that makes me happy.

Unfortunately, he said that my car was looking a little rough, had probably been his drive-about for a while and had lots of scratches, bits of interior removed etc.

The biggest bummer however was that Just Car Insurance (which paid me out for the vehicle not long after the theft) were extremely unhelpful when asked about buying the vehicle back off them - the lady at Bella Vista said something along the lines of "it's not your car anymore so we just accept what the auction house offers" which is frustrating as I was hoping to collect the salvage myself. I understand that other insurance providers allow the policy owner to have 'first offer' for the vehicle. Ah well.

Yeah, I'm super surprised that they do not have a policy allowing vehicle owners to purchase back their vehicles - this is Just Car after all, they insure modified cars, not average corollas/commodores.

As for legal advice, not worth it unfortunately. I'll call the auctions, maybe I can sort something out.

The police haven't emailed me photos yet either, which is annoying!