SAU Community

R34 Vs R35 - Not School Holidays Yet, This Is Not What You Think.

Tbh really you're paying for function or form.

The R35 is better in every way. It is.

Value for money speaking, the R34 is really quite a joke when seen through non-nostalgic eyes, there's absolutely no way they should ever be considered close in price to a R35. The R33 GTR is priced appropriately. The R35 GTR is priced "appropriately".

People paying 70+ for a R34 GTR need their head checked, no matter how clean it is. It has at that point left the realm of logical thought and no amount of logical discussion will sway such a person, because logic is no longer applying ;)

Would you pay 70k+ for the cleanest R33 GTR? It's almost what you're doing. 40k premium for a facelift? The R35 is a facelift with a lot of extras over the 34.

You said it's mainly for the street. One of them (not the 34) is going to be noticeably better for the street.

All of the objective reasons in the world are pointing directly in the 35's favour.

The best comparison I've read was in MOTOR Dan.

May 2008. All GTRs are compared and critiqued. This was a main feature.

Greg, you're entitled to your own opinion but many will differ. Anomalies have occurred over the ages. I mean, why would a XY Phase III be worth so much when it was whopped by an XU-1? I could have picked up a Bathurst winner in a XJS with 38,000 Km until my Mum's friend a widow, realised how little it would pull in dollar terms.

Auction prices in Japan serve to dictate BNR34 values here depending on what model. We here in Oz simply reflect that. Maybe Nissan should bring out an N1 R35 -with no leather, no air, no radio/speakers etc?

Don't get me wrong, I understand as good as anyone how subjective value is still value.

And cars beyond your basic corolla are really all subjective value. Noone 'needs' a high performance anything.

What do you get for a R34 over a R33, really. A bodykit? How much time do you spend looking at that bodykit when you're driving the car around? What's the ratio looking at it vs utilizing it as a vehicle?

Personally I have no subjective view of either. But if you could give me one or the other, as an objective choice, for what you have specified you want the car for, it's kind of a no brainer man. The cars really shouldn't be similar prices, and most of the time they aren't.

A nice clean (actually clean) R34 GTR for 45K vs a brand new R35 for 180K there's obviously a different scenario. But if they're both similar price, then, well. Objectively there's no decision to make.

Subjectively, it's all on you, man. You probably won't be upset with either, which is a good thing!

I get what you're saying.

A few of your comments start me on a different tangent too, in terms of R34 values.

Yes the VS2 is closish to the 35 dollar wise, but I could always just buy a nice VS1 for less and then the gap is much bigger. But the black interior and carbon bonnet are so sexy and buying a late model non vspec to get the black interior means having to buy the front and rear aero.

I realise the 34 is mechanically not hugely different to the 33. Looks and interior are very different though.

I was also tossing up between an R34 and an R35.

The R34 really has a front end look that will always be admired.

At the end of the day I went with the R35.

Edited by scarf

tempted to say drive both and go with your head not heart..

I love the 35 but.....

the idea of a 34 with the price difference between the 2 spent on it ( cosmetics and mechanically) just stirs my loins

Funny, because my heart says R34, it's my head that says consider the 35 because of how much better it is.

Initially though, I'd be comparing higher priced VS2s, but after reconsidering that a nicely modded VS1 could be a winner as well, the price gap widens a fair bit.

I will drive both when the time comes though and I expect prices to have moved around a bit too with the upcoming R36 (which just makes me think VW).

Not sure what most peoples budgets are but even the 09 gtr is still going for high 90's where as the R34gtr is around the mid 40's depending on specs.

I have seen some r34s around the 70's which someone covered before as being a joke. Mods dont add resale value like extensions on a house so why people insist on trying to add 20-30K to the price tag is beyond me but hey if they can find someone to buy it for that price then power to them. It would appear that if you want a r34 then the best bet is to import one.

Ill try and test drive a 35 first but I cant afford $100,000 plus for the new and improved version.

I really like the feedback on this topic as I was curious as to how people view both the 34 and the new gtr.

Its all personal prefernace, me perosnally. The shape of the R34 i cant stand. Some R32's done the way i like look good.

But the R33 for me is hands down the best, id put $150k into a R33 GTR long before i bought a R35

Speed/power is not an issue really, put enough $$ into either one and it will be a very quick car

So after having a conversation with my mechanic about the R34 vs R35 subject i was told the R35's have transmission problems and to fix it properly is to do a clutch pack and some transmission solenoids or something along those lines aswell as be prepared to spend 20k to fix it.

^^ Nope. Still a problem. They haven't changed much.

My gripe is why do you have launch control on a warranted car and then say launch control is 'for race use only'.

I've heard of warranties being voided because of excessive use of launch control. Why even have it then?

Nissan then exploits the crazy fast 0-100 time with launch control as their point of difference.

Ghaaay.

Not a cheap issue to avoid either is it? A few K for solenoids, clips, and new fluid etc?

LC is not a big deal to me as I have too much mechanical sympathy for that, I get what you're saying though, why have it if you can't use it.

That said, my view on performance cars has always been pay to play, in that a car might be capable of a particular feat, but that doesn't mean you can do it all day every day and not expect the car to put up with it.