SAU Community

Nate's R32 Gt-R Build (And A Bit Of Personal Car History)

Shit mate, that's no good at all. I think some of these smaller workshops just take on too much at once and end up making a bit of a meal of it. Hopefully it all works out in the end. Sounds like the local bloke has half an idea which is great.

Thanks mate. It's funny cause I actually went with BC because they are known to do pretty big jobs, when I dropped my car off they were finishing off a spastic 450kw r32 gtr with crazy aero for a bloke over in the middle east and did a lot of racecars. But all is good now, as long as I get my $700, paperwork and my ETS-Pro back I'll be happy.

Yeah they've made some pretty mad time attack cars. Those customers must be paying more....

Anyway, sounds like Matt is a good bloke, awesome that you've got someone local. I'm not confident of anyone in Shepparton so mine will be going to Melbourne for it's tune. Not BC though!

Haha well I'm pretty sure bc have actually closed now. It all went to downhill for them after dean Lilley went back to ravage Motorsport I think.

If I go back to Melbourne it will be racepace without a doubt

...he did go through some personal issues during this time and I understand things have been rough for him.

Bloody hell, is this the standard excuse for workshops screwing over customers these days? (refer pro fab race engineering thread).

At least it's all looking up from here mate, sounds like this new guy knows what he's doing. Car and engine bay are looking mint, here's hoping the tune goes well!

• Like 1

Haha yeah it is quite common but he did actually explain the issues to me in depth I just don't feel it's my place to plaster them all over here.

I just went down to discuss mounting positions for the racepak with Matt and he had ran it up on the dyno this morning. The car made 329kw on his dyno which is pretty consistent allowing for variation in dyno setups in my opinion and he thinks witha bit of fiddling it will see 350kw easily.

He actually said at WOT the tune is actually pretty good it's just all the other aspects that make it not chew fuel when you're cruising around that are a bit crap so that's a good thing

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just a short update.

Matt is nearly finished the car (not bad for just spending an hour or so after hours each night). He sent me these pictures the other night of the sensors fitted.

received_10153102641799652.jpeg

received_10153102641769652.jpeg

received_10153102641864652.jpeg

Then last night I was having a chat to him about the tune. Matt said he just threw the tune in the bin, he said he took it for a spin around the block with the original tune to test the sensors and all he wanted to do was get out of it, all the slow speed stuff was terrible haha.

Anyway Matt finished off the tune and this is the final power run.

IMG_5784.jpg

The red is the old tune. It's worth mentioning that the old tune made 329kw on the same dyno. It is also worth mentioning that this runs a bit more boost than the old too, spiking to 22psi then back down to 20psi.

Needless to say so far I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm going down tonight before i go to the gym to check it all out. All thats left now is to wire in the buttons for the dash and sort out this AWD system so we're hoping to have it done by the weekend :)

• Like 1

So the car is back guys!!

There were heaps more issues that needed to be fixed :angry: . Issues that Matt found were:

A split hose that looked fine when at idle but once under pressure spewed coolant everywhere.

All the belts were loose.

The intake pipes (turbo side) were all loose.

Power steering line wasn't bolted on at all it was just sat there.

Virtually no oil in Gearbox.

Virtually no oil in transfercase.

Very little oil in motor.

It's just one thing after another. The car is still in RWD due to a failed G-sensor, the good news is that my ETS-Pro replaces the G-Sensor.......the bad news is that Brett still has my ETS-Pro.

Now on to the good parts!!!!! :woot: :woot:

Matt put a 4000rpm rev limit on the ecu when it's cold (Best thing ever lol)

It runs heaps smoother now, Matt took me for a drive (and can he drive!) and it is so much better everywhere in the rev range. The power felt really progressive and smooth though it was hard to tell as it was in RWD so it broke the rear loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the real test will be that low 2nd gear pull once it is in AWD. :yes: :yes: .

The dash looks great (I'll get some photos this arvo) I don't know what these people were on about telling me the visibility is poor in direct sunlight, I was in the passenger seat and it had direct sunlight on it and i could still see everything and my eyesight is terrible!!

In the end I am stoaked with how the car has came back to me and I would highly reccomend Matt to anyone.

• Like 3

Glad to hear some positive things mate!!!

Heard from Brett today as well. Ets pro gets posted tomorrow so there is more good news :) then I just need my money! Haha

Little steps are better than no steps. Would love to hear what you think about the ets pro once its installed (from a street perspective)

• Like 1

Little steps are better than no steps. Would love to hear what you think about the ets pro once its installed (from a street perspective)

I'll let you guys know what I think once it's in. To be honest though I think on the street the difference will be very little. I think the main time it will be useful (other than warm up burnouts) will be turn 5 at Winton (the big sweeper). I'm hoping to have more control over under steer there, unfortunately I won't have a base for comparison as I never got to the track beforehand. However I have been told it makes bleeding the attessa system much easier

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates fellas. I have been holding off buying anything in hopes that I would recieve some money off Brett.......needless to say that didn't happen. The result of this is that I have had to purchase another ETS-Pro out of my own pocket, and what is worse is that the exchange rate has gone back to shit since I bought the first one so I ended up having to pay an extra $300.

Anyway back to the car.

So I ordered the ETS-Pro...again, and I was in disbelief when it arrived on my doorstep from Arizona in less than ONE WEEK!! Fedex are so much quicker than Auspost.

I was really hoping that this would be the end of my 4wd woes. We were unsure as so much stuff was wrong when we got it back from Brett it was highly possible something else was wrong. So Matt got on with fitting the ETS-Pro.

20150824_185613.jpg

20150824_185621.jpg

As Matt was pulling the old broken G sensor out he noticed it was barely bolted on at all leading us to believe Brett may have swapped my good one out with a broken one knowing that it was going to be replaced anyway......

Regardless once Matt finished installing the ETS-Pro he bled it all up on the hoist.......HAPPY DAYS! we have 4wd again! Of course being a GT-R nothing is ever as it seems and the Brett curse struck again.

As Matt reversed it off the hoist it began making a terrible cluncking noise and was binding like a biatch, imagine driving a FWD with a welded diff and you'll understand. Matt had a look through everything and noticed the oil looked a bit average so the choice was made to drop the fluids.......this is what came out from the front diff.

IMG_0147.jpg

It litterally looked like river water, any wonder the diff was binding. Matt also found that Brett had used regular gear oil in the transfer case. Fresh oil has since been added as well as an additive to help the front diff get a bit more slip. It is improving but we are planning to get it out this weekend for a data log and work some of the additive through the clutch packs

Here is a picture of the ETS-Pro controls. Matt found a great spot to mount them (Apologies for the filthy center console)

20150824_194351.jpg

Other than that there hasn't been a huge amount going on. I Started the very minimal amount of prep I have to do before Performance Car Mania here at Winton by removing some of the boot trim, carpet and spare tire.

20150820_174959.jpg

Debating on what else to do before PCM. Possibly rear lower camber arms and a HKS Super Turbo exhaust.

Anyway I will leave you guys with these pictures a friend of mine took :) see ya guys stay tuned for lots of videos after PCM.

FB_IMG_1436067852934.jpg

FB_IMG_1436067862318.jpg

FB_IMG_1436067857658.jpg

FB_IMG_1436067867363.jpg

• Like 3

that looks buriiful!!

cani ask which oil relocation kit did you use and also does the oil filter removal make a mess during oil changes?

Thanks mate :)

The filter relocation is a grex/greddy item and i honestly can't say about the mess as i haven't yet changed the filter

The transfer case shouldn't have gear oil in it at all, it is suppose to have auto trans fluid in it

Car is looking great

Thanks for the kind words mate.

Yeah exactly my point about the oil. In the end it was a good thing the 4wd wasn't working i guess

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys time for another short update. Once again not much has really been happening but out of impulse I did decide to buy something from Japan and from my favourite JDM brand no less :D

20150910_164209.jpg

So what could be in the box????.........

Wahlah, A HKS 'Super Turbo' cat back exhaust.

20150910_164421.jpg

2015-09-10%2016.56.05.jpg

2015-09-10%2016.54.47.jpg

I made the decision some time ago that this was the exhaust I wanted to run...although I never managed to hear one in person :/

All I've heard of them from anyone is they are quite as below 3000rpm but get really pitchy in the higher RPM which is what I am after. It gets put on tomorrow just in time for PCM next weekend so there will be plenty of videos from that to have a listen to.

It also came with this niffty little badge

20150910_193559.jpg

Not sure where I will put it but it will go somewhere. Maybe the interior somewhere.

Anyway that is all the update I have for you guys. Stay safe.