SAU Community

Worth Upgrading From Pfc To Haltec Platinum Pro?

BlackBox

Had a 116 GTV2.0. Red with plastic bumpers. Was mostly stock, mostly looked OK but mostly broken, like most of them. I rebuilt the engine with some sensible upgrades so it made a reasonable amount more power, had Konis and the like on it. Was a great little thing to drive. Used to spend an unreasonable amount of money on tailshaft donuts though, and would have cost more than I spent buying the R32 to make it genuinely fast......and then it still would have had Italian electrics.

The GTVs are beautiful looking cars. I feel your alfa pain though, I am restoring an alfa 33 at the moment with my son. Sharing the daily duties with the gtr, electrics are hopeless, build quality is rubbish and so on, but just when you think you have had enough they pull you back in and always put a smile on your face. Something about alfas....cant explain it. If you have a pic post it up would love to see it.

A lot of people (more than the 10% who are gay) say that you cannot claim to be a car guy unless you've owned one.

They truly are no better than any number of other cars, but what was said above is true. When you get the good day and everything is working, they put a smile on your face like nothing else.

Sadly, as to photos.....I've never been one to take many photos of my cars. The ALFA was pre-digital, so I don't think I ever took a single shot of it.

Yes I am, cause the comfort level refinement level and safety level of the vf over the hq means for "every day use" no one will pick the hq

Cause while the hq might be oh how cool is this for 3 weeks, the vf will still be comfortable and refined after that 3 weeks when the reality kicks in that the hq is actually shit to drive every day

I dunno about you, but I've gotta regularly pull over in my VF to turn the car on/off again so the whole system starts working again. Car won't idle stable 1 day in every 10 without the same process lol.

Utter pile of over-technological junk I tell you. Was bound to happen with a new electrical system but yeah, they've got no answers for it.

But I do get what you are saying, and agree as long as you need the refinements it offers. (comparing a PFC to a HQ / Haltech to VF did make me chuckle) :thumbsup:

We have had a Vf calais for a year and it has been faultless. Of course there's the chance a dud gets made and sold, it's a shame they haven't been able to sort it out.

As far as family safety goes it hard to go past the modern cars. More airbags than I can count. Side blind zone alert, proper stability control and then there's the comfort and convenience advancements.

While a hq has a cool factor, it isn't as comfortable or safe. That factors in for certain people.

I dunno about you, but I've gotta regularly pull over in my VF to turn the car on/off again so the whole system starts working again. Car won't idle stable 1 day in every 10 without the same process lol.

Utter pile of over-technological junk I tell you. Was bound to happen with a new electrical system but yeah, they've got no answers for it.

But I do get what you are saying, and agree as long as you need the refinements it offers. (comparing a PFC to a HQ / Haltech to VF did make me chuckle) :thumbsup:

thats why I own an FG we only break diff bushes lol

What is haltechs official statement on this matter

They dont want to know about it, its not a problem with the haltech, put a crank trigger setup, then they dont return your calls, Like any business in australia,

Oh for those of you that are dissing alfas shame on you..... go and drive a gtv or an alfetta. when it all works the engine is sweet and the gearbox is the best I have ever used. And the exhaust note is brilliant. and all you do is smile from the time you see it to get in to the time you look back at it when you park it..... :yes: :yes: :yes::D :D

• Like 1

The thing I love about my Power FC is the ability to tweak the tune on the fly with the hand controller, as I have a wideband permanently fitted.

A tuner usually only has the car for one day, so there's always part of the map that you can perfect over time, and the hand controller gives me that ability.

Do any of these "High end" map ECU's have a hand controller style tuning option?

The thing I love about my Power FC is the ability to tweak the tune on the fly with the hand controller, as I have a wideband permanently fitted.

A tuner usually only has the car for one day, so there's always part of the map that you can perfect over time, and the hand controller gives me that ability.

Do any of these "High end" map ECU's have a hand controller style tuning option?

No. Do you have a laptop? They all come with the software.

Yes I do, but I don't want to have to plug it in every time I want to make a small change. I'm also not keen to drive around with a laptop plugged in everyday - This isn't "The Fast and the Furious"!

• Like 1