SAU Community

Worth Upgrading From Pfc To Haltec Platinum Pro?

BlackBox

im not sure the wiring is much different to the power fc than the haltech, but again im not a tuner nor did i install it so i would only be guessing.

the io expander makes you have more configurations you can use with the Haltech. again im not a tuner but to me that sounds like a good idea.. im only guessing its for making different tunes and being able to save up to 12.. someone correct me if im wrong.

im with you jamie, i never got this "random cough" thing either. but i can say the car drives alot smoother with the haltech.

As for random coughing on power fc, I reckon it's a GTR thing.

4 of GTR's I have/had they all did that. My wrx which also have power fc, it doesn't cough nor my mates wrx.

I'm in 2 minds whether to bin the fc in the R for some map based ecu.

Probably questions suited to another thread but does one get cough while running with Nismo afm?

/hijack

If your car has a cough you will know about it. Ground wires helped, I might get 1 every 2-4 tanks where before I would get a few every tank. I have a dejetro

If you have a later model car, you probably have better earths and less dry solders which seems to be the culprit

Unless you have driven on a higher/high end ecu you you will NEVER understand! Dont get me wrong a power fc will serve its purpose but its the lil things a dyno doesn't Show you but it all happens under the right foot.

#closethreadbuymapbasedecu!

Edited by Mick_o
  • Like 1

At least a pfc still reads timing like it should. Other ecus have intermittent issues with the 360-6 cas. That's why people should have funds for a crank trigger just in case.

6C859AB6-5CA1-436B-AA65-873DBAD76007_zps

Without crank trigger

31EDDFD0-69B7-4BD8-8267-31B5B0438C21_zps

With crank trigger.

I can't remember now if the without crank trigger was done on the FC or the Link G4, it's been a few years since I put that on. Either way, that timing variation with the timing taken from the CAS is woeful at best.

Both graphs taken from my own car.

Good thread, subscribed.

I am currently using a PFC with 480hp (soon to be 550hp). Considering the swap to the Haltech.

A map sensor would be nice, due to the need for AFM's I am constantly battling "PFC disease"/ airflow reversion though the AFM's.

what good timing, im considering the exact same move, got Adam@JEM to quote on Haltech supply / tune and perhaps booking in next week

wanting fatter midrange, and e85 for anti-det, im running hks gt-ss, 720cc sard, nismo afm, nismo fuel pump @ 320kw

oil pressure drop protection is also appealing, im already running wideband, so would be good to feed that into ecu as well now

few Q's:
i run blitz dsbc boost controller, do i need external haltech 3bar solenoid or existing can be re-used without -ve impact?

map vs maf, is there a noticeable difference to throttle response if i switch the map?

anyone running nismo fuel pump on e85 or walbro e85 fuel pump a necessity?

I don't know what my point was.

Maybe it is just saying map is better than maf or vice versa isn't enough.

A shit ecu is a shut ecu regardless of what it uses to measure load. There's a reason factory cars use afms, even now (r35 gtr etc)

Popping cooler hoses shouldn't really be a deciding factor in choosing an ecu.

Popping inlet manifolds that's where it's at.

Back in the day I had a wolf 3d v4 on a vl turbo (map sensor, so it was good???)

Running extra injectors pre plenum (old days ghetto as, no cheap injectors like you spoilt kids)

Backfire, exploded plenum, ruined bonnet.

Due to having a map sensor car accelerates flat out atmo style (not concerning)

I simply set rev limit to 3000 rpm and drive car home like a boss.

Do that with an afm. Yeah, explode shit and keep driving.

Popping hoses is soft.

Edited by Ben C34