SAU Community

Epa - Exhaust Defect - Kill Switch

hop1308

So not that any of this applies to me; but to avoid these two problems:

- Cop defect for exhaust too loud

- EPA road side defect/cop defect for de-cat exhaust system

Could one not instal a hidden kill switch in their car, and hit the switch, pretending the car doesn't turn on for whatever reason, therefore not allowing the EPA/Cop to check the loudness or more importantly, if it is venting toxic fumes due to decat. At least temporarily, and then tow the car home n change it back to stock?

This example referrs to if you're driving and pulled over "randomly" and then directed to an EPA station from there directly. Or more likely, the cop with a decible meter.

I wouldn't recomend this idea, just wondering if this is a possibility.

Must easier just to get a well made exhaust. Running a decat is for the sort of people that throw rubbish out the window, ie, dirtbags. IMO they give the community a bad name.

And yeah they'll just write you a defect anyway. They can still write a defect if the car is not defective, they just have to suspect its defective (or if you fail the idiot test they'll write you one up to f**k with you).

• Like 1

yeah fair enough, been defected before when the car wasn't even too low.

the real question here though is, i've heard at times, they make you drive to a carpark or something straight away and there are EPA testing stations, testing your exhaust for toxic gases. hypothetically, a car not starting would cause for it to not be tested?

They dont need to touch your car, they only need to suspect it to defect you.

We had a EPA noise test letter sent to us, was issued the day the car had a roadworthy and was inspected at Vic roads for rego.

5 coppers (young red necks) were standing on a corner in the city the first night we went out, cars exhaust was super quite, car was driven gently through traffic, one of them noted the plates and made a report.

Just because it was a Skyline and shinier than the shitbox they probably drove.......

About police looking at the car, disconnect the bonnet release or put the lever elsewhere, they can still defect you for it, but cannot open it to photograph or note the mods.

Then deal with a freindly RWC tester to clear it. (bad luck if you dont know one)

Yeah, the defect is bound to happen I guess.

my question again though, the possibility of the infamous "$10,000" fine for running a decat car can only technically be had if they can prove it is decat. the only way for this is if they nab you there and then on the road by suprise, and try and test the emissions in a carpark (as they do sometimes) this car park has random RTA n EPA officers sitting around n they pretty much test it there n then.

So in considering that, would a kill switch be a viable option to not have that happen? or will they seize the car or something i dunno lol

I seriously doubt anyone would be reading this then taking it upon themselves to investigate if someone's breaking the law.

Otherwise defects would be getting posted out to virtually everyone on here!

• Like 1

Yeah, the defect is bound to happen I guess.

my question again though, the possibility of the infamous "$10,000" fine for running a decat car can only technically be had if they can prove it is decat. the only way for this is if they nab you there and then on the road by suprise, and try and test the emissions in a carpark (as they do sometimes) this car park has random RTA n EPA officers sitting around n they pretty much test it there n then.

So in considering that, would a kill switch be a viable option to not have that happen? or will they seize the car or something i dunno lol

Take step back. You choices are;

1. Get a nice highflow cat and get on with your life

2. Get a killswitch and know that you will still cop a defect, and may potentially get an EPA fine, and will have deal with a lot of heat if you ever have to use it.

You brain seems stuck on the killswitch idea, and you need to let that go. As far as ideas go, its a loser.

in reality though hop... why run a decat on the street. there is no benefit and its one of those defects which is probably warranted.

also general rule of thumb, be a knob to an officer and your gonna make it worse for yourself.

EDIT, beaten to it

Edited by GH05T

yeah fair enough, been defected before when the car wasn't even too low.

the real question here though is, i've heard at times, they make you drive to a carpark or something straight away and there are EPA testing stations, testing your exhaust for toxic gases. hypothetically, a car not starting would cause for it to not be tested?

So you just get a notice to come for inspection at a later time.

There is NO way out of it, stop looking for one, it doesn't exist.

The closest you can get to a decat without being caught by police is run a cat shell over a straight pipe so it looks exactly like a real cat, when they look under there is a cat there.

If called in for real polution testing, you usually have 7 or so days to present the car to bolt the stock one on.

Obviously you need the flanges of the decat one to match the exhaust flanges so its a straight swap over before you go in for the test.

Most EPA tests are just a noise based test, the serious one is the full pollution test. (anal examination)

An EPA notice is not a defect and vice versa...they are separate things and require different actions to clear.

There is a power benefit to a catless setup, even over a high flow cat and I have the dyno sheets to prove it. Is it worth it on the street? That's for you to decide. If you're on petrol I wouldn't bother simply cause the extra soot on the back of the car is a pain in the ass to clean off. If you're on ethanol this is not a problem.

kids these days..

200CPI metal cat + decent flowing but not too loud exhaust + good attitude = ZERO harrassment from cops. the attitude part is important. run a bit more boost to compensate for the exhaust losses, and get on with your life.