SAU Community

Open Source Rb Trigger Kit

murrayis

That could/would expand your market space a lot, and make a lot of Nistune users pretty happy too.

You could also look into doing a version with more teeth for those ECUs that will handle it.

Except Nistune (and PFC) users are not actually having a problem that a trigger kit to fix anything. It's the higher sampling/resolution ECUs that are like Haltech, Motec, Autronic, Link etc - and it seems like only CERTAIN instances as well (those making BIG power). So probably over 90% of users here, won't require it at all.

Probably worth mentioning that it's not essential on all RBs. For instance mine with the stock CAS is about as accurate as your trigger set up

Glad someone else said what I was going to :)

I understand that but I have read many posts sayin that it's a problem only with the newer ECU, because of the optical sensor and the speed of the new ecu's..

Read the above and really there is nothing to say you WILL actually have a problem. Don't panic about something that doesn't exist yet. It's very select instances from not a lot of people. For this reason it's more of a reactive fix than a pro-active one due to costs (although costs being reduced here to affordable levels).

None the less - 100% props to murrayis for undergoing this project for those that require it. A great initiative indeed.

Some of the kits on the market, realistically, are overpriced for what they are if you look at overall costs simply due to there being limited competition. So a bit of that might see a price realignment given there are limited options (around 6-7 separate places are doing them, some won't even re-sell).

Keen to see this progress for sure! Keep the updates coming, thread has been an excellent read thus far.

Except Nistune (and PFC) users are not actually having a problem that a trigger kit to fix anything. It's the higher sampling/resolution ECUs that are like Haltech, Motec, Autronic, Link etc - and it seems like only CERTAIN instances as well (those making BIG power). So probably over 90% of users here, won't require it at all.

Oh, I agree fully. Nevertheless, even if I wasn't haven't a timing accuracy problem with my Nistuned ECU, I might be tempted by a cheap to implement CAS replacement just to get rid of one ECU input that is famously pointed at every time someone has trouble getting the car to start or run. Of course, just buying a brand new one is probably just as good from that point of view. Still.....inexpensive proper upgrade is a desirable thing.

So after talking to many suppliers in china the price to make the below trigger wheel will be around $150 delivered due to the cost of mild steel in China.

http://www.3dvieweronline.com/share/LoQeUhNMkB3TZXm/LoQeUhNMkB3TZXm

Working on new designs to save cost.

Don't rule out aussie manufacturers. I have found I have even able to get stuff made local cheaper than china, and to the correct quality standard. Mind you i might have got mates rates but never the less, give some local places a go and you might be surprised.

Ellex Machine Shop in Thebarton, SA. They are actually kind of expensive, but if you can give them relatively simple to make stuff without it being thousands of them or a massive rush, they can fit small/medium jobs in between their normal work to keep machines from sitting idle and the pricing on that basis can be very friendly.

They usually do a lot of medical prototyping and small/medium sized NC machining. We get them to make all sorts of crazy things from oil/diesel atomisers to radiation shields (out of tool steels, various stainlesses, inconel, etc) in ones and twos at half the pricing that we'd be forced to pay other shops. We get them to make components for our Olympic torches and cauldron burners in 10s and 100s at very reasonable pricing if we're not in a hurry.

Ok so today I spent alot of time talking to suppliers in China and working on the design and prices and we have come to a price of roughly $70 to your door which I hope people would be happy with so the entire kit excluding balancer and sensors will be a little over $200 AUD

At that price you're onto a goer.

One other way to make them to cut down on weight, if you're interested in pursuing it, would be to make the centre section from alloy and just the rim out of steel. The rim could be shrunk on, or you could have a lip on them and use some small axial bolts to locate it. Not shrinking it on, using bolts instead, would make it trivial to have the missing section for the trigger too.

make the centre section from alloy and just the rim out of steel.

What material are u making these out of

Aluminium

sorry not quite clear. so the whole cam trigger assembly is aluminium? If so how is it going to trigger the hall effect pickup?

Just bringing these 4 posts together in one place (even though they were consecutive anyway)....for clarity of message.

Ok so to clarify the mounts are all aluminium and the trigger wheel is being made from high carbin steel as one peice to keep it all aligned. Parts have all been completed and waiting on shipment from to arrive