SAU Community

C210/C211 Skylines

Thanks for all the good info, I recently picked up a couple '2' C-210s for 500$. And am tryin to put alittle extra power for the workhorse, as my Z32 is too expensive to run as daily driver.

Also I have read that while puttin the stoker LD28 crank into the L24 is good, the conecting rods are a little short for a high reving engine. The L14 rods are longer however freaking rare. Especially as you need 6.

First of all well done on finding a couple of C210's for $500 - that is a bargain!

Second, if you get stuck for any parts let me know, I have a shed full. Likewise if you find more cars or parts I'm always on the hunt for my own/mates projects.

Finally the stroker engine with the LD28 crank is a very rare beast in Australia. To start you'd probably need an L28 block, and then to source the crank out of the USA. According to an article I just read 9mm 1973 240z rods work well with 89mm pistons.

For a budget build up I'd think about boring out your L24 to 2.7L, finding pistons (180b SSS?) to suit, find an E88/N42 head, add another carbie, and bang on some extractors. You'll go like the clappers!

• 2 months later...

hey guys! might as well do a quick little intro since this is my first post :laugh:

my name is Cameron. im 22 and live in brisbane. i grew up in the fair country town of Maleny where i learnt to race cars and drink and not work very much. but since i moved to brisbane 5 years ago, not much has changed except that i have a good job (crane driver) and im alot wiser. im happy with that lol.

i chose the screen name 'silent shadow' because that is my music production alias. i write a style of electronic dance music called 'drum & bass'. i have performed in most clubs in the valley and was very fortunate to play at Parklife this year along side some of the biggest acts in the world!

i drive a crane. i write dance music. i love my old datsun. that pretty much me! (well not really but u know...)

ive had a little soft spot for the c210 for years now. a 1978 sedan in yellow was actually my first car (at 17)! and i bought 2 more for $50 as parts cars back in the day. but a whole heap of 17 year old dramas and money problems made me have to give them all up. ive never forgiven myself *sniff sniff*.

now that im out of the country and in brisbane and actually doing well for myself, i decided to find a c210 again for 2 reasons...

1. my very expensive magna was stolen in febuary this year and still hasnt been recovered. that threw me off owning a modern modified car ever again.

2. i love these cars to bits!! looks great. fun & predictable handling. chicks love a classic. seriously every girl that has met my car, has fallen in love with it!

ok so i found a nice little '78 c210 coupe in brisbane in april. i bought it from a 70yo man and his wife. they bought it from an elderly woman in 1980 who had bought it from the showroom. couldnt belive my luck! the motor was a reconditioned item from 1998 and paint was redone 6 years ago. got it for $3000 in near perfect nick and a car + boot full of weird and wonderful parts.

the engine is by far the most dog-like out of the 4 that i've owned. and the boring auto is not helping either! i've picked out the engine conversion already but that's going to take a few months to get happening. for now i would like to just do a 4/5-speed conversion on it.

what do i need and where/what cars can i get the bits from??? a mate from my work is a speedway racer and he claims to have all the parts hook-ups rar rar rar. when i asked him to find me anything for this conversion, he came back with "mate... not a chance in hell". that was a great moment.

cheers in advance for any info guys!

Cam

p.s. sick info in this thread already!

• 8 months later...

well i can tell you a 280zx front crossmember with steering rack won't fit a c210 without changing a lot. the engine mounts on the 280zx are 4-5" more rearward. so not as easy as i was led to belive... may be poss to weld the rack mount onto the c210 crossmember but the pipework may interfere with the sump, as it comes out the rack and goes forward.

• 5 months later...
was the C210 ever raced?

stemming from R31/32/33/34 comparison thread about the newer cars breaking records.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...34-t304142.html

Did the C210 smash any records in the 70s/ 80s?

IIRC it was the first production car in the world to come out with a turbo.

not really a record though.

Hi guys, can anyone help me get my account running again, I have moved since my last post and so has my Email, don't have my password anymore n would rather not start new account, new tried to contact admin but have not had enough posts:( Old Email [email protected] new Email [email protected] . Sorry to but in here but I have old C210GT and would really like to post pics etc, any help much appreciated, cheers.

post-24238-1266219294_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

wanted a c210/240k skyline to buy preferably a coupe have seen the one on ebay 37,000ks will probly end up going for a bout 10k i think and such is a bit out of my price range if anyone has any info about one for sale can you contact me thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

got myself a c210 coupe off a member on here saturday just past and looking forward to restoring and upgrading it...

will try get pics up soon of progress

jon.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the go with the C210/C211 in terms of Air-conditioning, Power Windows, Mirrors and Steering?

My grandparents bought my car in 1978 and according to them it was an extra $1000 for airconditioning.

I don't have any of the above features, they are all blanked out.

Afaik only the Japanese spec C210/211s came with power windows and mirrors.

Was power steering an option back then?

• 2 weeks later...

my coupe had a/c by the looks of it...

ive seen a few update c211? 4drs come thru the wreckers over the years the 1s with rectangle headlights, 1 piece tail lights, rear disc, L24e, different dash... and they had pwr windows/mirrors/steer

wish i had my coupe back then as i thought little of it, only part i got is the "skyline injection" badge of the boot lid here somewhere

jon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The C210 came out with a couple of options, C1 and C2. C2 being the full box and dice with power steering, tape player, 3 speakers and air cond. C1 is air cond only. Poverty pack is none of the above.

The C211 had the updates mentioned by TIR31, but interestingly a lot of the c211 electric goodies were available on the Japanese C210's which came out in 8 basic varities: 2000 GT EL/GT EX/GT E/GT ES and 1800 TI L/TI ES/TI EL and TI EX. This means the Japanese also ended up with several varieties of grill, head/tail lights, seats, steering wheel and other interior bits not seen in Aust. As you can guess the Japanese also used 1.8 and 2L engines, some with Turbo, and not the 2.4L found in Aust. cars.

• 1 month later...

just wanted to say cheers to all that put effort into this thread, it will save me a million times over in the future when searching for original items..

and coupe 72001 u still got parts from 77japan for the c210..if so id be pretty keen on items depending on what u got...

Hey mate, due to a house move and my car destroying anything that gets attached to it I have little left in the way of parts. If you get really stuck for something specific let me know... I have a few mates here with bits and pieces that may be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Couple of questions to the smart people.

GC210 Chassis

G = long wheel base, 6 cyls

JDM vs AUS

same strength, no difference?

Gearbox strength

JDM 1978 L20ET 5SP MAN vs ADM 1978 L24S 5SP MAN

the turbo gear box better as is with newer skylines? eg 25de vs 25det boxes.

• 3 weeks later...