SAU Community

Trolley Jack Lift Pad

Hi SAU

I am in the process of manufacturing a universal trolley jack pad, intended to save pinch welds from bending and wear when using a trolley jack from the side lifting point.

A picture of a current sample has been included below, the final product will be very similar to this. It is to be made from polyurethane perhaps with small amount of rubber in the mix for various reasons, the exact chemical composition is still being decided. I expect the retail cost to be somewhere around the $12 mark, every effort will be made to minimize this as much as possible without compromising quality. It will come with a warranty of which the details are not yet decided upon.

post-140033-0-65054900-1431166544_thumb.jpg

I am hoping to enlist to help of SAU to check the compatibility on as many makes and models as possible, I am also wanting to gauge potential interest in the product.

The pinch weld slot is 10mm wide and 25mm deep for compatibility reference

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

- Michael

Great to hear Jordy32, hopefully they will be ready for sale soon !

Scotty nm35, anything is possible given enough time and money :) however these pads are injection molded requiring a rather expensive die. An adaption of this for use with a hoist has been mentioned to me before, so this may be likely in the future.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to keep posted !

Great idea dont know why other manufacturers have not come up with this before. I was going to use an ice hockey puck for my jack with a slot cut into it, but havent gotten around to it

Thanks junkie ! That's actually how this product was born, I needed one and couldn't buy it !

The ice hockey puck is a great idea, in fact, at least two places sell exactly that as a jack pad at a crazy price. The only problem is the thickness of the puck, it doesn't allow a deep enough slot for many applications and vulcanised rubber is much more likely to split, wear and be degraded by chemicals than polyurethane.

Edited by yates_engineering

I made some of my own a few years ago out of various different plastics, when i went to to take a photo i could only find 2 of them (think i made 4 originally), my main jack has a rectangular lifting pad rather than the usual round ones, so i made the width of the block to suit but it also works on my other 'round' jack aswell. from memory the slot was 12mm wide and 17mm deep.

They work well

post-41984-0-90891400-1431601254_thumb.jpg

I have also thought about a product like this, but I'm lazy and never done anything about it.

Some suggestions if i may?

Make the grove shallower, if it's not deep enough, no harm done as you're still lifting from where it's meant to be.

If it's too deep, it will lift from the body where the vehicle is weaker.

Make the locater round, but make the lift/pad longer.

Same weight over bigger area is less lb/in2.

I find that's the biggest issue.

If you spread the weight out, it really helps the sills.

Hopefully make them chemical resistant.

Use around oils and fuels, this would nearly be a necessity.

And last, don't sell too cheap.

I'd pay 20-25 bucks.

Take the extra money, and put into more products.

If you dont like my ideas, then maybe I'll have to release one :P

Either way, I wish you luck and hope to see these for sale soon :)

Thanks for feedback and encouragement everyone !

Gza36 - Thanks for the information ! Very helpful !

luke gtr - Glad to see I beat you to the punch :P Thankyou very much for all the suggestions ! As you say chemical resistance is very important, which is one of the reasons why polyurethane was chosen as the material, rest assured it will stand up to the rigors of a workshop. An enticing option to increase to cost I must say, I originally had a cost of $20 in mind but I would like to keep it as low as possible, we shall we what happens when the final cost is decided upon. You will definitely be seeing new products in the coming months and years though !! Thanks again !!

Terry_GT-R34 - Not a problem at all, thanks !

For anyone interested email me at [email protected] to keep informed with updates and possible release dates !

I'd rather input and get a product I'm 100% happy with, than say nothing and only be 90% happy.

Please keep us updated through this thread.