SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Sandown again yesterday, it was a typical Tampered motorsports day, 108 entries. Cars ranged from a full race spec Ferrari, 800whp Supra, some low to the ground sleek race car looking thing (tiga sc81) to your typical skylines, silvias, evos and the like. Was quite a few decent Skylines out and about. I met fellow SAU'er Tony in his fine R34 and Reikin another SAU VWL dude.  My car ran well all day and didn't require any special attention. It was my first time using the A050's I recently bought which turned out to be a super soft compound (These are meant for hill climb events).This meant that they would only be good for 1-2 hot laps before going off :( . I headed out for the first session and due to the traffic did not get a clean lap in, wasn't happy. The highlight of that session was dragging an LSA charged maloo down the straight and holding my own, he didn't catch and I didn't pull away. The following sessions proved to be much better and I laid down some decent times, I managed the tyres by doing 2 hot laps, followed by a cool down lap another hot and cool down and hot if time allowed. This worked ok. Ended the day with a new PB of 124:9956 just snuck in to the 24's. Was happy with that, although there is definitely more time to be found. Race chrono says theoretically I could have done a high 23 which I would agree with as I was struggling to get clean laps with the narrow window the tyres would allow. It was real annoying having to cool the tyres down but I made it through the day without destroying them and a 1 second improvement on my best time so overall I would call the day a successful one. Drove home with the ac on, happy days. The rear tyres did suffer some camber wear so i'll either flip them so the inside becomes the outside or maybe just rotate them to the front next time. I'll think about it.  I probably wont use them again till after Summer as they'll most likely just melt away on a hot race track surface. I will try and get some video footage up, I had a quick look but it was very difficult to pick out the best lap as there was quite a few low 25 laps and the time and date on the camera reset itself so I cant work it out by time of the day. 1st world problems. Lol.

• Like 2

^^^ Awesome times mate and good to hear that the car is running solid after the turbo rebuild! Nothing beats seat time.

I was soooo close to booking in for Rexmas this Sunday but now my power steering started playing up again. Must be #sedanlife (I think Greg invented it...)

• Like 1

Thanks Jussi but you know what it's like, you get to a milestone and your already thinking you wish you where past the next one.
I was measuring my tyre temps after each run and they where running 10-15 degrees cooler on the outside edge compared to the centre and inner. I think I need to reduce my camber settings to help the tyre get a better contact patch. This won't be a problem on the front but the rears where most of the problem lies it won't be as easy as I am limited by guard clearance and I can't roll the guards coz of f/g over fenders. May have to think outside the box on this one.

Totally, there's always the next thing :)

What camber are you running in the rear? Would a harder compound help even out the temps (expensive I know...)? And last but not least *gasp* lift the rear a bit?

2 degrees at rear. Harder compound would help with wear but would probably still have uneven temp issues. Plus I want to maximise the use of what I already have. The simplest and easiest fix will probably be to raise the height as you suggested. I didn't even consider that. It's not ideal but will do the trick if I can't come up with a better solution. Thanks for the input[emoji106]

• Like 1

Run some traction rods at the rear and extend them about 10mm each side. 

This effectively changes the arc of the suspension movement reducing camber and toe out ramp on suspension compression. 

Alternatively just raise the car till the control arms slightly point downwards  (best) or completely flat (better).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12-12-2016 at 10:49 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Run some traction rods at the rear and extend them about 10mm each side. 

This effectively changes the arc of the suspension movement reducing camber and toe out ramp on suspension compression. 

Alternatively just raise the car till the control arms slightly point downwards  (best) or completely flat (better).

Isn't complete flat arms the best, as if they point downwards the rollcenter go furter away from the center of gravity so the roll lever becomes bigger ? 

This lap was pretty decent too. I believe it was a 1.25.06. The car definitely has a couple more seconds in it. Driver needs work. A proper diff and a ratio change to 4.3 would definitely help too. Lol.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since i've updated. I've done 2 more track days, both at sandown (it's close to home). The car has had a few little tweaks, rear ride height was raised 15-20mm , rear sway bar set to stiffer spot, front sway bar 1 position stiffer. The first track day was run in this configuration, the day started well and the car showed potential almost matching my pb on the first flying lap but it was not to be, the rest of the day was a struggle with intercooler pipe dramas and misfire at high rpm. Fast forward and some splitfire coilpacks where purchased and fitted, as well as some intima type d pads, i tried running 1mm spark gaps but that didn't work out so i settled at .8. Hit sandown again yesterday and again had issues in the morning with misfire, gapped the plugs to .7 and all was well. The type d pads took some getting used to compared to the sr, i found they needed a heat cycle to actually start working well and required more pedal force, with that said they stopped bloody well. A  new PB of 1:24.30 was set in the 2nd session, 0.7 faster than previous PB as well as 2 other laps under that before more intercooler pipe dramas surfaced. I need to go through all the clamps and replace them all as they've seen better days. There was also an odd noise coming from the turbo area throughout the day. Turns out it was an exhaust leak as i worked out this morning when i cold started it to drive to work. Hot side will most likely have to be removed to fix. Damn cars, lol.

Video of fastest lap

and a bit of a shit my pants moment, i'll just leave this here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, admS15 said:

It's been a while since i've updated. I've done 2 more track days, both at sandown (it's close to home). The car has had a few little tweaks, rear ride height was raised 15-20mm , rear sway bar set to stiffer spot, front sway bar 1 position stiffer. The first track day was run in this configuration, the day started well and the car showed potential almost matching my pb on the first flying lap but it was not to be, the rest of the day was a struggle with intercooler pipe dramas and misfire at high rpm. Fast forward and some splitfire coilpacks where purchased and fitted, as well as some intima type d pads, i tried running 1mm spark gaps but that didn't work out so i settled at .8. Hit sandown again yesterday and again had issues in the morning with misfire, gapped the plugs to .7 and all was well. The type d pads took some getting used to compared to the sr, i found they needed a heat cycle to actually start working well and required more pedal force, with that said they stopped bloody well. A  new PB of 1:24.30 was set in the 2nd session, 0.7 faster than previous PB as well as 2 other laps under that before more intercooler pipe dramas surfaced. I need to go through all the clamps and replace them all as they've seen better days. There was also an odd noise coming from the turbo area throughout the day. Turns out it was an exhaust leak as i worked out this morning when i cold started it to drive to work. Hot side will most likely have to be removed to fix. Damn cars, lol.

Video of fastest lap

and a bit of a shit my pants moment, i'll just leave this here.

Holy crap Bill that second clip!!!! That's my worst fear at Sandown! Good save, very lucky...

That's an amazing PB too, well done! Sounds like your ratio of dramas-vs-track-time is getting up there also...

Holy crap Bill that second clip!!!! That's my worst fear at Sandown! Good save, very lucky...

That's an amazing PB too, well done! Sounds like your ratio of dramas-vs-track-time is getting up there also...

Yeah man, that was not a save. That was just really good luck. I had the wheels steered to the right until the car came to almost a stop and then turned them left to steer away from the fence. Was just a passenger. I think I figured out the limit of me, the car and that turn, Lol. The reliability dramas have been occurring, hopefully I get on top of it by the next time I take it out. I'm stoked with the time, car has more in it, I missed 3rd gear coming on to the straight on the fast lap and had a pretty bad exhaust leak. Overall, very happy.

• Like 1

And from previous sandown events. To answer you question from yesterday Grant, of course I was quicker than the Ferrari, can't you see it behind me. As if a skyline isn't faster than a 458 GT3, can't believe you needed to ask, lol:27_sunglasses:

tampered2 26.1.17.jpg

tampered3 26.1.17.jpg

tampered4 26.1.17.jpg

tampered5 26.1.17.jpg

sandown ferrarigt3.jpg

• Like 2