SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

Nice work - So the radiator fit with the fan shroud?

be careful with those caster arms, I got stung by a shop I will not name for a big alignment bill because (speaking from the aligners perspective) "Everytime I had to make an adjustment, I had to pull the alignment tools off then take off the arm then put everything back on and repeat till it was right"

The bill was significantly more than I was quoted despite me telling them what setup I had. None the less the alignment was great so I'm not complaining.

As far as the castor arms are concerned. The ones I have are non adjustable. It's just that the hole is offset in a fixed position to give an extra degree or two. Is that the same type you have Jacob. I can't see how these would effect alignment as your aligner was describing. Am I missing something here? Anyways these arms will eventually be swapped over for something decent and adjustable. I figured anything's better than the stock jelly bushes and since I had these arms I'd use them.

Fitted the whiteline swaybars today. Was pretty straight forward. Set the front to the 2nd softest of the 4 settings and the rear to the softer of the 2 settings. First impression after a short drive at moderate speeds is the car feels better balanced.

post-139042-14522355503307_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14522355712273_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14522355958031_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14522356226904_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14522356378819_thumb.jpg

While i was under the car again I fitted a magnetic sump plug. I've always run these on all my cars. Better to catch any metal particles rather than let them circulate through the engine. And a pic of the car on stands just becozB)

Skytanic is now ready for her cherry to be popped at Sandown on the 30th.

post-139042-14522358933731_thumb.jpg

post-139042-14522359196818_thumb.jpg

After doing all this work on the car outside under the car port, I thought maybe I should clean the garage so I can work on it in there next time. I looked at it and thought, faark that. Nissan parts everywhere. Maybe next time:o

Hmmm. Need to sell more junk.

post-139042-14522361423047_thumb.jpg

quick question mate, did you have any troubles fitting the swaybars whilst the car was on jackstands? im going to be doing it this weekend and read something about it being critical for it to be on car ramps for installation?

enjoying reading the progress on this too :)

Cheers,

Bronson.

quick question mate, did you have any troubles fitting the swaybars whilst the car was on jackstands? im going to be doing it this weekend and read something about it being critical for it to be on car ramps for installation?

enjoying reading the progress on this too :)

Cheers,

Bronson.

Na no problems at all. You're meant to tighten everything at ride height so I just simulated that at the back by jacking the suspension up from the diff and measuring whilst still on the stands. The front i was able to reach in when the car was on the ground. Even managed to manoeuvre the back bar in with the exhaust on.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Shakedown at Sandown completed and im glad I live close by lol. I managed to complete 3 sessions during the course of the day. Most of my time was spent underneath the car. A few issues became apparent as the day unfolded.

1. oil leak after 2nd session

2. Brakes where not as good as I hoped

3. gearbox crunching 4th gear change

4. wasn't getting full boost. only 1 bar.

The oil leak was discovered when I tried to head out for the 3rd session and oil was pissing out from underneath the car. It was from the oil feed line, I had run it too close to the turbo flange and cooked it. Luckily Rob from Sabbaddin automotive was around and fixed the line for me on the spot, thanks Rob :thanks::worship:. I then proceeded to re fit it the same way that it was originally :ph34r2:. It only lasted 1 more session before it happened again and I called it a day.

I think I just expected too much from the brakes as I am used to braking later in my old s15 which had bigger brakes too. I will try removing the dust shields and run some ducting at the next track day. The brakes didn't really fade, it was just not as much stopping power as I hoped.

The gearbox crunching thing had me worried but after changing the oil yesterday I discovered that there was only 2.6 litres of oil in it. I wanted to change the oil prior to the day but didn't get around to it. I filled it with 3.5 litres of redline yesterday and it's silky smooth now. Serves me right for not getting around to it earlier.

After fixing the oil line and wrapping it in heat proof material it became obvious that boost was running off wastegate pressure. A quick inspection of my mac valve revealed that 1 of the wires had snapped clean off. I managed to stuff the wire back in there and drop some solder on it. Beautiful boost control again.

So that's all the bad stuff out of the way. The good news was that the oil and water temps where all good and the tyres performed well. My groups first session was cut short due to a broken down car on the track, so our second session was extended to 15 mins. I pretty much had the car going flat out for all but 1 min of that and the max water temp was 93 and oil was 108. The china cooling seems to have done the job.

My times where not the greatest, I managed a best of 131.2 which is a fair bit slower than my pb of 128.2 in my s15. I am confident I will be able to match or beat that next time if I don't have more issues. I was probably losing 2 secs a lap on gear changes to 4th as I was pausing through the shift trying not to crunch and I was down on power because of the boost issue. I was struggling to hit 200 down the straights, I was expecting to match the s15's 215km/h down the back straight but was way off. Issues aside, overall im happy with the way the car handles and drives.

Another shakedown is now in order. Im hoping to get to another track day soon. Watch this space.

take them off, I believe they may have started to crumble...

that's what happened to me, had my A1RM crumble when I took them off.. so much for a street/track cross over pad... never ever will use them again

I'll take a caliper off and have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates Bill?

Nothing positive. Chasing a boost leak ATM. The turbo isn't holding boost the way it used to in the top end anymore. It used to hold 17.5-18psi and is currently only holding 14-15psi. It will make full boost with a pod but not with the airbox back on. Used to be fine with airbox. I will be removing the upper intake manifold this weekend hopefully to replace that gasket and check all those little hoses down there. I will update with my findings.

take them off, I believe they may have started to crumble...

that's what happened to me, had my A1RM crumble when I took them off.. so much for a street/track cross over pad... never ever will use them again

Lol and here I am never again to use those intima sr pads you say are better than a1rm because they crumbled on me in 5 laps.

Lol and here I am never again to use those intima sr pads you say are better than a1rm because they crumbled on me in 5 laps.

So the million dollar question. What are you using now? I think you need the nismo pads[emoji41]

Unfortunately for me, no brembos and the a1rm ain't really doing it for me, so when they wear out which shouldn't be too long I'm gonna take the plunge with the project mu's and put up with the horrible noise.