SAU Community

R32 GTR as a daily driver?

Hey Guys,

Just thought i'd get the first thread in and start it off with..

Who uses an r32 gtr as their daily driver, and is it reliable and practical for these purposes?

Or is it better to use it mainly as a weekend car and get a 'runabout' for the weekdays?

Please share your thoughts.

i havent got a gtr, but i would say that if you live on the outskirts of a city or something, the gtr would be fun and you would use the gtr for what it was made for, but in city traffic it would be a nightmare with a powerful engine and manual, plus it would suck up alot of petrol.

Get yourself a bunky in additionfor the following reasons:

* Easier to drive in heavy traffic (especially if the bunky's an automatic)

* Can park anywhere without worrying about theft/vandalism etc

* Prolly better on fuel for commute duties

* Enables you to do a lot of work on your car yourself without the stress of being totally reliant on it for transport

* Reduces speeding fines (which I find directly proportional to the amount of time I spend in my R)

Yeah, only problem really would be rego costs on top of another car etc. But you'd probably save that on petrol and fines and stress from worrying about safety of the car.

I use my R for a daily driver because my home is out of garaging space (1 celica, 1 Saab, 1 civic and my R). I find the clutch to be a bit of a pain sometimes(triple plate) but it gives you a lot of practice with it! Fuel seems to be the primary cost because im averaging 17L/100Kms and I'm not worried about parking/theft/vandalism at my workplace due to private offstreet parking.

You can get a decent amount of fun out of it but don't even bother with peak hour. I just sit and wait for at least 2 car lengths in traffic before i move due to the clutch and it seems to piss quite a lot of people who like to do the drive brake thing. I usually try to leave it in 1st and roll as slow as possible without speeding up or slowing down.

PS: I get better fuel consumption when going on cruises with "spirited" driving so I'd avoid against using the R in heavy traffic unless it is your only choice.

I tried using my gtr as a weekend cruiser but found i couldnt face going back to being a mere motal on monday mornings and driving a piece of crap. After owning GODZILLA and being king of the road there is no going back. The gtr is the greatest car ever built and i drive mine everywhere. 14 years of dreaming have finally come true...

I used to have to drive a massive Army recovery vehicle through Sydney with a 5 speed crash (dog) box and a 6 puck button brass clutch. Left leg looked like Swarzeneggers.

If I had a GTR it would be my daily driver. I have 3 imports and I could never decide which to drive until I tuned my track car for 220rwkw and now the decision is easy:D

i have a work car, its brilliant being able to get into a nice auto car, with your skyline at home in pieces without it being an inconvenience. get a cheap 2nd car - it also puts less kms on the skyline, less wear and tear, expensive maintenance etc. This will give you a bit better resale value when its time to sell, and a lot more flexibility when servicing or modifying.

I daily my 32 GTR - I would like to put less kays on it though, so will probably start doing the commute to work again :D

The only real reason I wouldn't drive (apart from putting on too many kays) is the cost of parking and petrol. If I had another car, those costs would still remain quite high, as I get stuck in peak hour a fair bit.

GTRs are great daily transport!

get an r31 as a daily driver their cheap bulletproof and hey your still a skyline driver!!!!!

amen broda..

depends what sort of person you are.. if you are the type that gets bothered by every little scratch and things, and general wear and tear, then I'd just get a daily driver. Having two cars is also useful for when the other car is being worked on, in the shop, etc. While some balk at the running costs of two cars.. if u just go for 3rd part damage on the daily, and the other is pretty good in petrol.. it will pay for itself in 12 months anyhow.

Some ppl's ego I guess can't stand to drive around in a crappy looking car though.. but if not.. get something cheap.. u don't have to care about it, and enjoy the GTR when you really can drive it like its meant to be drivien.

There is no reason why an r32 gtr would be in a different category as an r33gtst. They are both roughly worth the same amount of money. I have no problems using my car as a daily driver, apart from the clutch and lightened flywheel. That makes it a real bitch of a car to drive. I try to do the same as ecenshu - that is, let it roll, and don't move up everytime there is an extra cm in front.

Having a daily driver ends up costing you a lot more. I can tell you this because i used to have one. Ditched it now. Think about it, rego and 3rd party. Rego will be aorund 500 and 3rd party will be around 300 depending on what car it is. That's 800. Just spend that little bit extra on your skyline. At the end of the day, a skyline is just another car. What's the point of having a car that you cannot use for fear of vandalism etc? Just buy it and leave it in the garage?

I wouldn't

I'd have an automatic car with all the creatue comforts and a SWEET sound system for daily driving... MUCH more comfortable and better in traffic.

Driving a manual car in peak hour sucketh teh wang.... I constantly wish I was driving an auto at those times..

I wouldn't

I'd have an automatic car with all the creatue comforts and a SWEET sound system for daily driving... MUCH more comfortable and better in traffic.

Driving a manual car in peak hour sucketh teh wang.... I constantly wish I was driving an auto at those times..

Which is why I have 4 cars. The V8 Soarer is unsurpassed for highway cruising and general comfort....everything short of the active suspension. Even has seat heater for the leather on those cold mornings. The wife's auto 33 skyline is great for around town. Stock but still enough power to nip through the traffic.

The Laser lynx is like the Tardis. The amount of stuff you can fit in them things is amazing and it does a good job towing the trailer and is nippy but just down on power and short so parking is a breeze (got a CT20 turbo just waiting to go on) and the track beast (R33gtst manual) with hard suspension and plenty power (220rwkw) but I was careful to get a good ceramic sprung clutch so it is easy to get off the line, even with lightened flywheel and drives nice around town until the pedal goes down then it's a smoke machine :burnout: