SAU Community

SAU Circuit Times

Roy

Good time Ian, you must have had some fun.:rofl:

Hi Gary, yes it was a lot of fun racing at Oran Park, i found it quite dificult really but i enjoyed it and i think it like Wakefield teaches you to drive better. Different to Eastern Creek where its just fast. The R33 was going really well yesteday, the only thing was that the rear tyres started rubbing on the alluminium spring supports and was making heaps of smoke under acceleration. But it wasn't until the drive home that the Hi Cas light started flashing on and off and the Indicators wouldn't cancel and the Turbo started making a different spool up noise. Also for some reason the steering wheel wasn't centered. Were checking it all out cause I want to have it all going for Round 4 at EC in 3 weeks time.

Thanks Gary

Ian.

Hi benm. Yes that was me, I had the only Skyline racing yesterday at Oran Park.

Ian

I had the other burgundy r33 parked not far from you out the back in the pits (spectating). I didn't realise you were SAU and everytime I was out in the pits you had about 10 people around ur car so didn't say hello.

I Was there watching from about midday - 3pm. Looks like your rear end was quite loose most of the day, very twitchy coming off the bridge (from memory you even spun there once) and also the following right-left. I timed 2 of your sessions and you were doing pretty consistent 23-25's even with the ass end all floating around.

That ex race car Alfa was only doing 1:20's and afew MX5's were doing 1:23's (going by my timing). A couple of those open wheel things were down in the 1:14's and were screaming down the straight, loved it.

Looked like a pretty decent day except for only getting 3-4 timed laps per session (which was about every hour). I think they could have let a few more cars on the track or allowed 6-7 timed laps for each group but then again looks like their was plenty of other organisation going on behind the scenes. Probably 1 of the best trackdays as far as turnout and organisation.

Where can I find more info on those sprint days? Future trackdays/costs etc?

http://www.nswrrc.com/

Forget the slicks, just get out there and give it a punt. :rofl:

Super Sprints are great fun, but days like last Friday are a lot better value as you get 20mins sessions, and the pace of the driving is a lot mroe relaxed wiht regards to passing other cars.

And if like me you run into trouble you still have plenty of time to get thing sorted and get back out there.

I had the other burgundy r33 parked not far from you out the back in the pits (spectating). I didn't realise you were SAU and everytime I was out in the pits you had about 10 people around ur car so didn't say hello.

I Was there watching from about midday - 3pm. Looks like your rear end was quite loose most of the day, very twitchy coming off the bridge (from memory you even spun there once) and also the following right-left. I timed 2 of your sessions and you were doing pretty consistent 23-25's even with the ass end all floating around.

That ex race car Alfa was only doing 1:20's and afew MX5's were doing 1:23's (going by my timing). A couple of those open wheel things were down in the 1:14's and were screaming down the straight, loved it.

Looked like a pretty decent day except for only getting 3-4 timed laps per session (which was about every hour). I think they could have let a few more cars on the track or allowed 6-7 timed laps for each group but then again looks like their was plenty of other organisation going on behind the scenes. Probably 1 of the best trackdays as far as turnout and organisation.

Where can I find more info on those sprint days? Future trackdays/costs etc?

Yes benm, I noticed your car parked there and thought it looked great. I think it was mostly me not knowing the track and trying too hard at the wrong time. I was comming off the bridge in 3rd gear and the rear wheels were spinning and just a little further down the track, the road drops down and its off camber.

I had 6 runs on the day which was pretty good.

If you want to compete in the next Supersprint its at EC on Saturday 4th June. Its hosted by Mini Car Club. I havn't recieved the supp regs yet but when i do I can let you know who the Secretary is and all you have to do is contact the Secretary and their is always vacancys. You need a CAMS 2S Licence which cost around $80 and you can get directly through Skylines NSW Branch, but might be quicker downloading the Licence Application from CAMS and forwarding it on. The days racing is around $150. You also need a fire extinguisher and long sleve and trousers and fireproof shoes (leather). There are 4 more meets after EC. Oran Park South, EC, Oran Park GP, and Oran Park GP.

If you want you can contact the Secretary of the Mini Car Club and ask directly for the supp regs and entry form or when i find out i can let you know.

Cheers benm

Ian

OK for anyone that is interested. The next Round of the NSW Supersprint Chps is at Eastern Creek on Saturday 4th July. It is hosted by Mini Car Club and the Secretary of that club is.

Club Name: MINI CAR CLUB OF NSW

http://www.miniclub.com.au

Club Contact: JOAN VAUGHAN

Address: MINI CAR CLUB OF NSW

PO BOX 164

MORTDALE

NSW 2223

Telephone: 9153 7635 (Home)

9153 7635 (Business)

Fax: 9153 7635 (Business)

Email: [email protected]

Event Types: SPEED,MOTORKHANA,ROAD,RALLY,SOCIAL

Hi Roy, I understand what your saying about Club days at a circuit are good value for money and overtaking is much more frequentthan Supersprint days, although overtaking in Supersprints is fine under most circumstnces. Most of the damage i've seen is caused by someone losing control and getting banged by somone who can't avoid running into. I've gotta consider that what i'm driving is how i'm getting home. LOL.

Ian

Yes benm, I noticed your car parked there and thought it looked great.
Thanks but apparently its not so great, just got an offer of $15.5k :D Ahh so close yet so far away.

Were you in the maroon R33 yesterday?

Hey benm, I just got the official results from CAMS and out of all the cars that competed on Sunday, I was the 9th fastest overall. Behind a few Open Wheelers, Clubmen with Carbon Fiber guards and Suzuki Halebusa engines. What I love most about the whole thing is that I drove the car to the circuit with 4 semi slick tyres and wheels on the back seat and in the boot and 2 passengers and a full tank of fuel. Nothing lightened including Stereo and Air Conditioning...the works. I finished 2nd in SV Class overall behind a full on racing Alfa. I am winning SV Class overall after 3 rounds and I change the tyres after the races and drive home to Forster all in the same day. That's satisfying.

Ian

That's a great result, nothing like a car that you can take to the track with minimal effort.

I liked the variation in cars, everything from datto 1600's thru to vr commodores it was interesting to watch especially all the cars that visited the sand trap at turn 1 :P

Keep us posted on the following events (im likely to forget unless someone reminds me) and i'll be out to spectate again.

• 2 weeks later...

SAU Nickname: clayoth

Car Make and Model: WRX

Circuit Name: Philip Island

Lap time: 1:47.44

Circuit Name: Winton

Lap time: 1:33.98

Lap time: 1:38.20 (R spec tyres)

Circuit Name: Calder

Lap time: 1:04.64

Circuit Name: Sandown

Lap time: 1:23.43

Lap time: 1:24.86 (R spec tyres)

Modifications

Engine: 2.13l

Power: 180 kw atw (221kw for Winton)

Suspension: Apexi N1

Tyres: Dunlop Slicks

Brakes: CSC

Body weight: 1150

Crikey...ill update the times later this week. Good work on those times, though slicks???? Do you have any semi or road tyre lap times so that others can gauge time difference between the types of rubber:)

Ok so having droven on both what are your thoughts on time differences between slicks and semis? Or is it too hard to say with all the different compounds available?

Again great times:)

I would estimate that slicks are worth the noted amounts of time over R spec tyres at the following tracks:

Phillip Island - about 4 sec

Winton - 3 to 4 sec

Sandown - 2 to 3 sec

Calder - about 1 sec

It would be fun to get a data logger, road tyres, r spec tyres and slicks together and see what the differences are on the same day at the same track.

It would be fun to get a data logger, road tyres, r spec tyres and slicks together and see what the differences are on the same day at the same track.

LOL, ive got the data logger and the semis, feel free to lend me the slicks:)

Interior.jpg

Problem is i dont have a cage so not allowed to run slicks:(