SAU Community

SAU Circuit Times

Roy

:cheers: that must be it.

Roy as long as you have good tyres I'm sure 52s are in reach :P

Well used 12 month old D01Js, cant afford new rubber until i sell my 2nd set of rims:( .. or Sandown where i need to do at least a 1:27, hopefully a 1:25.99 otherwise ill be stoned in the streets and labelled the village idiot by all the Vic GTR guys:)

But we have certainly been wondering what it is about the air in NSW that makes GTSts quicker on all the tracks....it doesn't seem to be the same in Vic?  Maybe as you get closer to the equator the 2nd turbo looses its power?

There is a bit of circuit difference as well. Sandown is really just 2 drag strips, so power is everything and drive onto the back straight is all important. Winton is often quite dirty and therefore traction is very important. And there is no other track like Oran Park, and we do get to most of the tracks around Australia at least once every year. It requires a good all round car with good braking, plenty of power and spot on handling, it does reward a nimble car. On the other hand Philip Island doesn't need a nible car, it is primarly a test of driver, who makes more difference than the car. Bathurst is all about track knowledge, you have to know every inch of that place to go fast. Mallala is all about low end torque, having hairpins onto and off the straight

Horses for courses as they say.:D

Good response Sydneykid, but I think the core or the issue is that the majority of NSW GTR owners are soft. j/k

I know at least Myself and Snowman would love to come up there and give the NSW tracks a punt. If at least just to put Roy back in his box.

Good response Sydneykid, but I think the core or the issue is that the majority of NSW GTR owners are soft.  j/k  

I know at least Myself and Snowman would love to come up there and give the NSW tracks a punt.  If at least just to put Roy back in his box.

LOL... i did the 8 hr drive last night, my reward is Friday at Eastern Creek, and the 30th at Wakefield.

I get grief for being a Northener talking it up in Vic...you guys are paddling the same boat:)

Just get up here and see what times you can do. Another thing is that i have found NSW tracks to be a lot bumpier, not the little bumps, but big bumps that unload the car into braking areas, mid turn etc etc.

Once Dutton Vic is over we will plan a time for me and Scotsman to come to NSW and right the wrongs.

Not going to that joke of a go-kart track you call Wakefield but will be keen for either Oran Park or Eastern Creek. There we can make sure (weather permitting) that both our times will be quicker than any set by a GTS-T and end the debate.

Listen you Zed driving ex-vice president.

We're not driving 800km's+ to do a 45s per lap track. You come to Vic and we take you to Phillip Island and in return you want to take us somewhere more suited for RC Cars than real ones????

Gimme a break. Eastern Creek or Oran Park. Get it sorted for August or Septemeber and we'll come. Wife's due to have a baby in October so will have to be in those months.

Listen you Zed driving ex-vice president.

We're not driving 800km's+ to do a 45s per lap track. You come to Vic and we take you to Phillip Island and in return you want to take us somewhere more suited for RC Cars than real ones????

Gimme a break. Eastern Creek or Oran Park. Get it sorted for August or Septemeber and we'll come. Wife's due to have a baby in October so will have to be in those months.

LOL, you are worse then me:) This one time ...on tv, i saw a track....:D Surely you can appreciate that everytrack is different to how it looks on tv.

Wakefield is an awesome little track, and if you can get well into the 1:09s id be impressed, but thats about all i think you will be able to get, as 1:08s, 1:09s seem to be about as good as it gets around there unles syou have a susp setup that is purely track. For yor advice Duncan /Fatz i think did 1:10/11s in a relatively std R33 GTS25T with Semis.

As for discriminating what tracks you go to, you drive past Wakefield on the way up, i mean you are 5-10kms from it and its $65, dont be weak:) Who cares what lap time you do, its too good a track to miss purely because your worried about your cars suitability to the track. You go to Winton and the place leaves Winton for dead.:P

All jokes aside, you guys will get lap times that will put you at the top of the lists, simply because you have either 230rwkws with good susp setup and tyres, and 330kws with sticky rubber. None of the NSW GTRs at the track can say that:(, lol, neither can any of the GTSTs:(

And it was just on 600kms from Epping to Wakefield :P I slept by the side of the freeway there the other night as i split the trip up into 3rds with a sleep at 300kms and 600kms:)

Don't get me wrong - if there is the chance to do Wakefield as well as one of the other tracks then I'd be all for it. Chris would as well.

The point was more we don't want to drive all that way JUST for that track. Sure it might be fun - but it doesn't seem as challenging as the others simply cause it isn't that long a track. Makes sense? LOL

Bit like down here Calder and Winton aren't as challenging as Sandown and Phillip Island. Winton is still a fun track but if on a given weekend I had the choice between Winton and Sandown I'd be going to Sandown.

Anyways Duncan - we look forwards to hearing from you! :/

Competed in Rd3 of the NSW Supersprint Chmps on the GP Circuit at Oran Park. Won SV-C class with a best time of 1:22:30. First time on Oran Park so I was pleased with the effort.

SAU Nickname: bullant47 (Son Ian)

Car Make and Model: R33 GTS-t

Circuit Name: Oran Park GP Circuit

Lap time: 1:22:30 (Timed by CAMS)

Modifications

Engine : Power FC, HKS Step 1 cams, CES split dump pipe, 3" exhaust, GCG Hy Flow Turbo, Sard FP regulator, R34 Intercooler, R34 Fuel Pump, Oil Cooler.

Power: 240kw@rw C&V Performance (Thurs 12/5)

Suspension: Whitleline Adj swaybars Front and Rear, Adjustable Caster Rods, Adjustable Rear Upper Arms, Bilstein Shocks, Whiteline Springs. Cusco Front Brace, R34 Rear Brace.

Tyres: Bridgestone RE55s

Brakes: DBA Slotted Rotors Front, Ferodo Racing Pads Front, Standard Rotors and Pads Rear, Master Cylinder Support

Competed in Rd3 of the NSW Supersprint Chmps on the GP Circuit at Oran Park. Won SV-C class with a best time of 1:22:30. First time on Oran Park so I was pleased with the effort.

SAU Nickname: bullant47 (Son Ian)

Car Make and Model: R33 GTS-t

Circuit Name: Oran Park GP Circuit

Lap time: 1:22:30 (Timed by CAMS)

Modifications

Engine : Power FC, HKS Step 1 cams, CES split dump pipe, 3" exhaust, GCG Hy Flow Turbo, Sard FP regulator, R34 Intercooler, R34 Fuel Pump, Oil Cooler.

Power: 240kw@rw C&V Performance (Thurs 12/5)

Suspension: Whitleline Adj swaybars Front and Rear, Adjustable Caster Rods, Adjustable Rear Upper Arms, Bilstein Shocks, Whiteline Springs. Cusco Front Brace, R34 Rear Brace.

Tyres: Bridgestone RE55s

Brakes: DBA Slotted Rotors Front, Ferodo Racing Pads Front, Standard Rotors and Pads Rear, Master Cylinder Support

Good time Ian, you must have had some fun.:D

And this thread is as good a place as any to highlight a word of caution when driving at the track in the wet....though im sure many of you have a little more grey matter then me and dont confuse your delusional tendencies with ability:(

I have heard skyline_geoff and Snowman talk of how dangerous Sandown is in heavy rain, and i though to myself .... "Yeh but drive to the conditions and you will be right" That simplistic philosophy was based on a whole 3 days at the track in the rain:(

After driving in constant heavy rain at Eastern Creek on Friday i now sing a different tune. If its wet, no problem ... its great fun slipping and sliding getting a feel for how the car works and how you need to drive it.

But in constant rain when you start to get pools of water and rivers running accross the track...i say park it. That was my intention after aquaplaning down the straight and thru turn 1...... but after coming out of turn 8 heading for the pits i ended up aquaplaning off the track under brakes coming up to turn 9. On and off the brakes made no difference, i was sideways almost 90deg and a passenger...almost got away with it but then hit the mud and dirt and at that point had no chance:(

So if its raining ppl , as soon as the track gets real shiny then perhaps its time to park it, especially if you have bald semis like i did:)

PS damage wasnt at all bad, but panel damage all the same. Just a little kiss in the front and rear guards as rear of car hit tyres then front came around and kissed as well at about 20-30km/h i guess. Thank god it was the tyres and the not the concrete like the GT3 RS a few laps before me on the same corner:(

LOL...kicked out the guards and went and did another 3 sessions in the drying conditions:thumbsup: