SAU Community

SAU Circuit Times

Roy

Brutus - it was the first track day for a bunch of the skyline guys at Calder and was also ALL of our first visit to that track - so you can forgive the guys for braking early especially since the first session was in the wet which didnt help the confidence at all.

Whats around the 1min mark?

LOL, Based on the times i saw the other night, it would take a lot more then a mild 2wd to get anywhere near the 1min mark. I think if you get down to the 1:07-1:05 mark your doing a tip top job with soem good rubber, some serious power (+ 250rwkws) and decent brakes :mad:

Meh, 1:05s or 1:15s, its all still great fun:)

Hey guys,

I wasn't bagging anyone at all, jeez. You guys all look like you were having a ball and i was jealous as hell sitting on the sidelines. I was merely giving you some tips on where to make up serious time there. All that matters is you guys are out there circulating. As for getting down to the 1 minute mark, a well driven 911 or M3 will be getting down to vbery low 1 minute bracket and I know my car personally kills an M3 or a 911 around Phillip Island. Calder is a great power track so a well sorted 2wd skyline should be right up there. There was aguy out there in a white GTR that looked like he was on the money, didn't see times but he was attacking the track and holding it flat through the kink on back straight, braking deep and hustling. Would be interesting to see his times........

Tracks like winton or wakefield however are a bit hard for a skyline unless serious suspension set up is done as they require optimum handling....

Point being that calder is a great newbie track, not very technical and a place where a skyline can excel. If you want to learn to get the most, follow up with a few John Bowe driver days or find a quick driver to give you some tips during a practice session such as on Saturday night....

James

There was aguy out there in a white GTR that looked like he was on the money, didn't see times but he was attacking the track and holding it flat through the kink on back straight, braking deep and hustling. Would be interesting to see his times........James

hi James,

that was Frank. He drives a heavily modifed GTR with about 320rwkw and a truckload of suspension tweaks to boot.

Best time was around a 1.02 mark and he himself as someone with a lot of track experience including Calder has stated that he couldn't squeeze anything more out of it.

I'm not being a smart here bu I would love to see if you can get anything around the 1 minute mark as I think I could really learn something by just watching you ;)

Only person who I've seen who has done 59second was Ben from Racepace in that monster of a car of his and that is one of the best street type GTR's in the world as far as I'm concerned.

SAU Nickname: blind_elk

Car Make and Model: R32 GTS4

Circuit Name: Simmonds Plains

Lap time: 1:09.9

Modifications

Engine: RB25DET

Power: 178 awkw

Suspension: Bilsteins, Kings springs, GTR HD rear bar

Tyres: Bridgestone G III

Brakes: slotted rotors (front), Bendix Ultimates (f), EBC Red ®

Body weight: 1520 kg

I hear you Roy but I fail to understand.

I am on cheap shitty old tyres still.  Waiting to wear them out before I buy some semislicks.

Also still driving stock suspension and the auto :(.

LOL...auto? How do they go on the track? Do the boxes slush all over the place, or are the shifts pretty good and ratios good? Autos will one day rule the world:thumbsup:

Im the first to admit my lap times dont seem to improve as quick as others, but i find Wakefield to be the sort of place that everytime i go there im a little bit quicker...

Hopefully ppl dont read too much into anyones statements here, we are all cowboys out there giving it a go, i dont think anyone is trying to cut down the driving of others:)

That white R33 was doing 1:02s, and John Bowes Lap record in a 355 Ferrari GT Production car was 1:00.8... (back in 1997).

...and Greg, curse you re-Tas:( Im still stuck in SAdelaide...im sure ill hear all about it next NDSOC meeting:)

Geeze why has it taken me so long to discover this thread.... :wassup:

SAU Nickname: BenM

Car Make and Model: Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-t

Circuit Name: Eastern Creek

Lap time: 2:16sec (first time there)

Modifications

Engine: FMIC, 7psi, HKS Pod Filter, Cat-back Exhaust

Power: 170rwkw

Suspension: Koni shocks.

Tyres: Faulken

Brakes: stock standard

Body weight: Standard with a fat lard driver.

Circuit Name: Wakefield Park

Lap time: 1:21sec (first time there)

Modifications

Engine: Ex Cam Gear, Full 3" Exhaust, FMIC, 7psi, Bosch 040, K&N Panel Filter.

Power: 186rwkw

Suspension: Koni shocks.

Tyres: Michelin Preceda 225/50/16 street tyres.

Brakes: DBA4000 Slotted, RB74 pads, Nismo master cylinder support, braided lines.

Body weight: Standard with a fat lard driver.

LOL...auto? How do they go on the track? Do the boxes slush all over the place, or are the shifts pretty good and ratios good? Autos will one day rule the world:thumbsup:

Im the first to admit my lap times dont seem to improve as quick as others, but i find Wakefield to be the sort of place that everytime i go there im a little bit quicker...

Hopefully ppl dont read too much into anyones statements here, we are all cowboys out there giving it a go, i dont think anyone is trying to cut down the driving of others:)

That white R33 was doing 1:02s, and John Bowes Lap record in a 355 Ferrari GT Production car was 1:00.8... (back in 1997).

...and Greg, curse you re-Tas:(  Im still stuck in SAdelaide...im sure ill hear all about it next NDSOC meeting:)

The shifts are fairly good but I'm getting a modified valvebody soon (only $300, compare that to a clutch) which should give me sharp as changes. At the moment it changes down into second at about 85 to 90 so my brakes get a work out. On the upchanges 2nd gear takes me over 120 km/h as a comparison.

I have to admit that the gulf between 2nd and 3rd can be a killer but the smooth cruising in Sydney traffic makes up for it's shortcomings.

SAU Nickname: Scotsman

Car Make and Model: Volvo 240GT (Swedish Brick)

Circuit Name: Calder Park

Lap time: 1:22:24sec

Modifications

Engine: 2.3lt N/A fuel injected, Extractors, No Filter, Lots of Advanced Timing

Fuel: BP Ultimate with Three bottles of Metho.

Power: Not Enuf

Suspension: Pedders rear shocks, Munroe Front. Stock ride height

Tyres: RE55

Brakes: Stock

Body weight: Brick

There was a crazy bloke up at wakefield a while back in a 242Gt with a big ass hairdryer on it. I was doing the same lap times as him in my MX-5 (high 1.13's) but geez it pulled hard up the hill after turn 2!!!

Saw your 242Gt out there on Saturday, you looked like you were having plenty of fun.

I want to run my car so bad but I'm thinking of selling and I have a brake shudder when i brake from over 120k's that i can't figure for love or money where it's coming from. I've replaced rotors with new slotted rotors, got new pads, straightened an alloy that had a slight buckle and still i can't find it. Driving me nuts, I want to give my car a good spanking. Especially around Phillip Island.

I'm sick of sounding like a 'gunna' with my car, previously I won the MX-5 club championship back to back and won every round but since I got the skyline I can't get it set to my liking for the track. Got heaps of grunt, handling sorted, everything strengtheed but now the brake issue. AAhhh..

lol...tyres:) i find my old DNAs needed a few heat cycles put thru them then they were fine:confused:

Massive shudder under brakes ay Wakefield had me worried but by third session they were good...well good enough to get me a 1:13:(...traction is king at Wakefield and tyres can make an easy 2-3 second difference (huge when you consider how short the track is)

As for the Volvo, very comfy seats and lifts wheels, what more can you ask for:thumbsup:

Ok - I have some times from Calder on the short track.

Was invited to participate in a shoot-out that was put together for the up-coming Serious Performance 8 DVD. Was a great day actually as the day involved probably 10 cars all up and 2 V8 drivers - Paul Dumbrell and Warren Luff. Basically through out the day both drivers got 2 laps in everyone's cars and then at the end the owners got 2 laps to compare themselves to the V8 guys.

Best times in my car were:

Warren Luff: 43.4s

Paul Dumbrell: 44.5s

Snowman: 45.2s

I was pretty happy with my time given I'd never driven the short track before but also impressed with the skill of those V8 drivers that they can get in a car they had never driven before and be right on the money from the get go.

And for the record my car won (comfortably) the shoot out! So look out for the feature in the up coming DVD due for release in April.

Awesome. What were some of the other cars? Id be interested to hear their thoughts on Niges Supra. I suppose the long circuit woudl have suited it much better.

Did you wind back the rev limit...or was that the best the car could muster? Top work mate, its about time the Serious Performance vids started to look outside NSW for feature cars

I know it's not a Skyline, but it'll help fill out the places on the list for the QR Sprint track:

SAU Nickname: Candellan

Car Make and Model: Toyota Corolla Seca (AE82)

Circuit Name: Queensland Raceway

Lap time: 66.41 (Sprint track - 2003)

Modifications

Engine: 4AGE-16v (only pod filter, extractors & 2.5" piping)

Power: 85fwkw

Suspension: Kings Springs - Monroe GT Gas

Tyres: Siverstone Rally Tarmac semi-slicks

Brakes: EBC Green (f) - Race Brakes Comp2 ®

Body weight: 970kg

BTW: The Sprint track is 1.1km long.

Awesome. What were some of the other cars? Id be interested to hear their thoughts on Niges Supra. I suppose the long circuit woudl have suited it much better.

Did you wind back the rev limit...or was that the best the car could muster?  Top work mate, its about time the Serious Performance vids started to look outside NSW for feature cars

Well unfortunately for the Supra it had an overheating issue and after 1 lap the auto-cut kicked in. He also had very 2nd hand tyres and in a test run the front left was flat spotted to the canvas so it had to be called a day after only 1 timed lap (which was a 47)

Other cars included another R34 GTR, a number of s13's and s14's, a starlet (I think) and and proton GTi. Also had a comparision to the old style mini's and the new mini. (One of the old mini's had a v-tec engine as well)

The other R34 ran a 45 which was the next fastest car.

Its a new production crew for the Serious Performace DVD's. They are taking a new direction which seems pretty good from what we were told ablut. At the end of the day I was speaking to them as we discussed a follow-up show involving my car as part of Skylines Australia Victoria as a club feature for Serious Performance 9.

Ok - I have some times from Calder on the short track.

Was invited to participate in a shoot-out that was put together for the up-coming Serious Performance 8 DVD. Was a great day actually as the day involved probably 10 cars all up and 2 V8 drivers - Paul Dumbrell and Warren Luff. Basically through out the day both drivers got 2 laps in everyone's cars and then at the end the owners got 2 laps to compare themselves to the V8 guys.

Best times in my car were:

Warren Luff: 43.4s

Paul Dumbrell: 44.5s

Snowman: 45.2s

I was pretty happy with my time given I'd never driven the short track before but also impressed with the skill of those V8 drivers that they can get in a car they had never driven before and be right on the money from the get go.

And for the record my car won (comfortably) the shoot out! So look out for the feature in the up coming DVD due for release in April.

Hi Snowman, what sort of tyres was that on?

:rofl: